• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adventure 40. Most "oddball" big DC key?
2 2

65 posts in this topic

I've always viewed it that way, mainly because the GA sandman character just doesn't resonate today. Still, I've always wanted a copy of the book, and thought I'd finally post a WTB notice on the buyer forum. I could see the Spectre eventually making a big splash in the DC movie universe, or on one of the  shows on CW. The guy with the suit, tie, hat and gas mask? No. But hey, I love the character myself.

1 hour ago, twmjr1 said:

I've always viewed it that way, mainly because the GA sandman character just doesn't resonate today. Still, I've always wanted a copy of the book, and thought I'd finally post a WTB notice on the buyer forum. I could see the Spectre eventually making a big splash in the DC movie universe, or on one of the  shows on CW. The guy with the suit, tie, hat and gas mask? No. But hey, I love the character myself.

Very very cool cover.  And personally, I love the costume.  But, it is not Sandman's first appearance, right?  Doesn't that distinction go to NYWF 1939?  So Adventure 40 really is an oddball key - a non-first appearance that is treated like it is.

21 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

Very very cool cover.  And personally, I love the costume.  But, it is not Sandman's first appearance, right?  Doesn't that distinction go to NYWF 1939?  So Adventure 40 really is an oddball key - a non-first appearance that is treated like it is.

As I understand it, the story in Adventure 40 was conceived and produced first, but the appearance in NYWF 39 was rushed to press and released earlier. 

I would honestly like to to be told if I’m wrong, especially because I’ve never heard anything about Adventure 40 being a third appearance!

FWIW, I like Adv. 40 a whole lot. 

2 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

As I understand it, the story in Adventure 40 was conceived and produced first, but the appearance in NYWF 39 was rushed to press and released earlier. 

I would honestly like to to be told if I’m wrong, especially because I’ve never heard anything about Adventure 40 being a third appearance!

I think you're right.  Adventure 40 is, I believe, the second appearance - but the story was conceived first.  CGC notes on the Adv. 40 label that "Sandman begins (1st conceived story)" whereas the NYWF 1939 label states "first published appearance of Sandman."  I too would love to know if there were an appearance between NYWF 1939 and Adv. 40.  

2 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

FWIW, I like Adv. 40 a whole lot. 

2 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

I think you're right.  Adventure 40 is, I believe, the second appearance - but the story was conceived first.  CGC notes on the Adv. 40 label that "Sandman begins (1st conceived story)" whereas the NYWF 1939 label states "first published appearance of Sandman."  I too would love to know if there were an appearance between NYWF 1939 and Adv. 40.  

That is correct. The story in Adventure #40 clearly takes place before the NYWF appearance and looks to be the first Sandman story. 

Probably like All Star #8 and Sensation comics #1 DC saw an opportunity to promote an upcoming new series denying the first appearance to the characters series title which in a way is now kind of sad for collectors who like first appearances to actually have the characters appear on their covers.

Edited by N e r V

I love all of the early Flessel Sandman covers and have chased them for years. 40 is obviously the grail, so yeah, put me on the want list too, but I know finding one that is also a reasonable price is a major long shot.  That said I met a collector last year who'd found one two years previously for only $5K (seller didn't quite realize what he had, I think), so you never know what you'll run in to and when.   I've managed to acquire 42,44,47,51,and 60, so I only need the 40 and 46.  I stumbled across this 44 4.0 at a random flea market last year, with a dealer set up in a giant room otherwise full of junk.  He knew what he had but I still got a fair deal, as I think it was a slow weekend for him.  One of my fav books (sorry about the dark/grainy scan, it really pops in hand).  I love the adventure-oriented covers too, would love a 41 and 43, and the pre-40 books are just so fun as well.    But the rebooted Sandman does absolutely nothing for me.  Adventure Comics is really an under-rated title, for sheer variety if nothing else, and I wonder if anyone has managed put together a run of the first hundred issues of title (including New issues)?  Talk about a challenge...

Adventure 44 2.jpg

On 10/18/2018 at 6:26 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

I like the book, but the market hasn't treated it like a major key for a long time. 46 is the only Adventure issue on my want list (although I'd consider picking up any old-costume Sandman cover were the price right).

Would the same be said for MF 52,?