• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adventure 40. Most "oddball" big DC key?
2 2

65 posts in this topic

51 minutes ago, piper said:

I have 46, 51, and 60. I accept sadly that I will never own a 40. (shrug)

I think if you really wanted the book you have the means to acquire it. Sell some of your books in those jam packed boxes and throw in some cash. You could get a 4.0 maybe even a 5.0

Edited by Artboy99

8 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

I think if you really wanted the book you have the means to acquire it. Sell some of your books in those jam packed boxes and throw in some cash. You could get a 4.0 maybe even a 5.0

hm

On 10/17/2018 at 12:13 PM, mwotka said:

I love all of the early Flessel Sandman covers and have chased them for years. 40 is obviously the grail, so yeah, put me on the want list too, but I know finding one that is also a reasonable price is a major long shot.  That said I met a collector last year who'd found one two years previously for only $5K (seller didn't quite realize what he had, I think), so you never know what you'll run in to and when.   I've managed to acquire 42,44,47,51,and 60, so I only need the 40 and 46.  I stumbled across this 44 4.0 at a random flea market last year, with a dealer set up in a giant room otherwise full of junk.  He knew what he had but I still got a fair deal, as I think it was a slow weekend for him.  One of my fav books (sorry about the dark/grainy scan, it really pops in hand).  I love the adventure-oriented covers too, would love a 41 and 43, and the pre-40 books are just so fun as well.    But the rebooted Sandman does absolutely nothing for me.  Adventure Comics is really an under-rated title, for sheer variety if nothing else, and I wonder if anyone has managed put together a run of the first hundred issues of title (including New issues)?  Talk about a challenge...

Adventure 44 2.jpg

Ian Levine did as part of his complete DC run. I don't know if anyone else has.

I've always liked the pulpy quality of the early Sandman, but he is a somewhat minor character, notable for the earliness of his appearance in the DC universe, and the JSA centric importance early fandom gave to DC first appearances over other many other GA books. 

On 10/20/2018 at 2:12 PM, KirbyJack said:

Absolutely.

10 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Well, why the heck not while you're at it? :)

Talk about a life-long quest.  I don't think I've seen some of those for sale... 

And then you would also need to include New Comics.  The Sullivan covers never appealed to me, but the contents of those early DCs are awesome.