• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Creepy 1 CGC 9.4 Frazetta signed
2 2

97 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, icefires said:

Thank you.

I love Frazetta.

I love Creepy.

This highest graded Creepy #1 signature is what I want!

If you like Creepy , give my journal a look see. I'm a  bit of a fan myself.:whistle:

17 hours ago, icefires said:

OK So I just bought Creepy #1 SS 9.4 Frazetta

$8000

Did I make a mistake?

You paid a large premium for a one of a kind item.  You sound pretty stoked about it, so it seems like the opposite of a mistake! 

58 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

You paid a large premium for a one of a kind item.  You sound pretty stoked about it, so it seems like the opposite of a mistake! 

Now that I have slept on it, I AM stoked!

Did I pay too much? Most will say yes.. But I don't care. 

Creepy 1 also contains Frazetta's last multipage work of sequential art in "Werewolf."

21 hours ago, icefires said:

OK So I just bought Creepy #1 SS 9.4 Frazetta

$8000

Did I make a mistake?

I'm curious, and I don't mean to come off as a total buzz kill, but are you asking this question because you want to know what 'we' really think, or because you aren't sure and want a bunch of strangers to enable your decision and give you rabid rationalization for what I consider to be a purchase that maybe requires a bit more contemplation to conclude whether it was or was not a mistake. 

My first question would have to be "are you exceedingly wealthy?" If 8G's is a drop in the bucket for you, then who cares? Right?

My next question would be "is it the signature or the condition of the Creepy that seals the deal?" I get that both aspects are enticing and may be hard to choose, but I've seen many Frazetta signatures, and while they vary in lushness and detail, to my eye that one appears strained by comparison. No doubt it was done post-stroke, but to reiterate my previous question in a post up-thread, now that I've gone and looked at the completed auction, it's wed to a Jack Davis illustration. I think there's something ironic in that respect, but also kind of odd.  Again, I mean no disrespect, but since you did post your purchase as a question, I'm looking at it as if I were the one contemplating the purchase.

I confess to not being totally onboard with the whole slabbing, third party grading thing, but I do see it's relevance in the age of internet selling and the like. I can't think of anybody's signature I'd pay real money for, but as I said, FF's could be a work of art, in and of itself, but personally I'm not crazy about that one compared to others. I'm also kind of curious about the original owner and why he/she decided that was the image they wanted FF's signature on. I can't help but think having his signature on a Jack Davis image is about the same as if he had signed a napkin....I can't wrap my brain around it. Obviously if he had signed his interior story that would make more sense to me, but you'd never know unless you broke it out of the slab, negating that sought after badge or label of honor. I suppose I'm old fashioned that way...I want FF's sig on a piece of his art, same as I would rather have Davis sign that particular cover. Had you considered a slabbed copy of a cover painted by FF and signed by him? Are there none available?

I admit to being fascinated by this thread, mainly because it appeared out of the blue and deals with a topic I've not considered before. If I had $8000 of disposable income to put towards comics and the like, I think I would have bought some original art. Obviously not a great Frazetta for that price, but there's so much out there that is excellent and one of a kind. I suppose in a way so is the slabbed, signed magazine, but it's also kind of not.....and having read the whole of this thread, up to this point, I see I'm the odd man out. I'm happy for you if you're happy, but I'm also not you so I'll leave it to you to decide what you think my answer to your question would be. Keep it safe!