• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Creepy 1 CGC 9.4 Frazetta signed
2 2

97 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, wpbooks01 said:

I'm curious, and I don't mean to come off as a total buzz kill, but are you asking this question because you want to know what 'we' really think, or because you aren't sure and want a bunch of strangers to enable your decision and give you rabid rationalization for what I consider to be a purchase that maybe requires a bit more contemplation to conclude whether it was or was not a mistake. 

My first question would have to be "are you exceedingly wealthy?" If 8G's is a drop in the bucket for you, then who cares? Right?

My next question would be "is it the signature or the condition of the Creepy that seals the deal?" I get that both aspects are enticing and may be hard to choose, but I've seen many Frazetta signatures, and while they vary in lushness and detail, to my eye that one appears strained by comparison. No doubt it was done post-stroke, but to reiterate my previous question in a post up-thread, now that I've gone and looked at the completed auction, it's wed to a Jack Davis illustration. I think there's something ironic in that respect, but also kind of odd.  Again, I mean no disrespect, but since you did post your purchase as a question, I'm looking at it as if I were the one contemplating the purchase.

I confess to not being totally onboard with the whole slabbing, third party grading thing, but I do see it's relevance in the age of internet selling and the like. I can't think of anybody's signature I'd pay real money for, but as I said, FF's could be a work of art, in and of itself, but personally I'm not crazy about that one compared to others. I'm also kind of curious about the original owner and why he/she decided that was the image they wanted FF's signature on. I can't help but think having his signature on a Jack Davis image is about the same as if he had signed a napkin....I can't wrap my brain around it. Obviously if he had signed his interior story that would make more sense to me, but you'd never know unless you broke it out of the slab, negating that sought after badge or label of honor. I suppose I'm old fashioned that way...I want FF's sig on a piece of his art, same as I would rather have Davis sign that particular cover. Had you considered a slabbed copy of a cover painted by FF and signed by him? Are there none available?

I admit to being fascinated by this thread, mainly because it appeared out of the blue and deals with a topic I've not considered before. If I had $8000 of disposable income to put towards comics and the like, I think I would have bought some original art. Obviously not a great Frazetta for that price, but there's so much out there that is excellent and one of a kind. I suppose in a way so is the slabbed, signed magazine, but it's also kind of not.....and having read the whole of this thread, up to this point, I see I'm the odd man out. I'm happy for you if you're happy, but I'm also not you so I'll leave it to you to decide what you think my answer to your question would be. Keep it safe!

Creepy 1 in 9.4 (no signature) means very little to me. Higher grades are available at a much lower price. I want the Frazetta sig.

There are two Frazetta 9.4's for Vampi #1 that I would want even more, but will they ever come to market? I doubt it.

Getting a verified Frazetta signature on a book from 1964 that contains his last story and is also the highest graded does it for me.

I mean, Frazetta has passed away. He was amazing. The number of his verified signatures will not increase.

Frazetta signature on this book that I was able to obtain sealed the deal for me.

22 minutes ago, icefires said:

Creepy 1 in 9.4 (no signature) means very little to me. Higher grades are available at a much lower price. I want the Frazetta sig.

There are two Frazetta 9.4's for Vampi #1 that I would want even more, but will they ever come to market? I doubt it.

Getting a verified Frazetta signature on a book from 1964 that contains his last story and is also the highest graded does it for me.

I mean, Frazetta has passed away. He was amazing. The number of his verified signatures will not increase.

Frazetta signature on this book that I was able to obtain sealed the deal for me.

Right on, brother! 

It's Frank's last full comic story and it has the master's signature. 

Money comes and goes, but a book with this kind of provenance is truly a one of a kind item. 

:whee:ENJOY!!!  :whee::whee::whee::whee:

18 hours ago, oakman29 said:

It really is refreshing to see more and more people getting away from this weird stigma of magazines being too big to store, or whatever the reason people give to not collect these wonderful books.

the truth is they are far superior to their comic book counterparts.

Agree :golfclap:

52 minutes ago, icefires said:

Can you take a pic of the treasure and show us? Thanks

Edited by SAKI

7 hours ago, icefires said:

You did good man, albeit 8K would have been a bit high in my opinion.

If you wanna play with the big dogs, sometimes you gotta pay for the big books.

On 10/16/2018 at 1:07 PM, icefires said:

Are you sure there are two Vampi 1s at 9.4? The census only shows 1, which is double signed by Neal Adams (not a good thing IMO).

Like wpbooks01 said, I too am fascinated by the entire Frazetta CGC SS phenomenon. You can read my musings back and forth in the Frazetta Motherload post, which I highly suggest reading from the start if you haven't. I will just say that none of it really makes sense, but it doesn't have to. And this is what makes it interesting to observe and participate in. You can buy plenty of beautiful things with his signature on it (and a much better one at that) for much less money. Two examples are the death dealer lithos (1-1.5k) that come with beautiful, prime era, gold ink signatures on a high quality lithograph of his most famous work. You can also spend around 4k for one of his hand colored WF 29 prints that not only comes colored by his hand, but is hand signed with a prime era signature AND a unique remarque.  So it is all about opportunity cost. I could never spend that amount for a commercial item like a magazine just for its signed cover. And, I currently own three Frazetta SS pieces so did drink the Kool-Aid a bit on these. But I won these at auction and am into them for around 1200 each. I can live with that. 

To add to the "they aren't making any more of these" arguments, note also that the finite number he signed is declining. For example, a total manic opened one of the Tally Ho CGC SS pieces, if you can believe it. Pic of the corpse attached

Tally Ho CGC SS 5.5 label removed.jpg

Tally Ho CGC SS 5.5 removed.jpg

Edited by cstojano

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 7:34 PM, cstojano said:

Are you sure there are two Vampi 1s at 9.4? The census only shows 1, which is double signed by Neal Adams (not a good thing IMO).

Like wpbooks01 said, I too am fascinated by the entire Frazetta CGC SS phenomenon. You can read my musings back and forth in the Frazetta Motherload post, which I highly suggest reading from the start if you haven't. I will just say that none of it really makes sense, but it doesn't have to. And this is what makes it interesting to observe and participate in. You can buy plenty of beautiful things with his signature on it (and a much better one at that) for much less money. Two examples are the death dealer lithos (1-1.5k) that come with beautiful, prime era, gold ink signatures on a high quality lithograph of his most famous work. You can also spend around 4k for one of his hand colored WF 29 prints that not only comes colored by his hand, but is hand signed with a prime era signature AND a unique remarque.  So it is all about opportunity cost. I could never spend that amount for a commercial item like a magazine just for its signed cover. And, I currently own three Frazetta SS pieces so did drink the Kool-Aid a bit on these. But I won these at auction and am into them for around 1200 each. I can live with that. 

To add to the "they aren't making any more of these" arguments, note also that the finite number he signed is declining. For example, a total manic opened one of the Tally Ho CGC SS pieces, if you can believe it. Pic of the corpse attached

A nice piece of history for sure! (worship)

On 10/17/2018 at 6:34 PM, cstojano said:

Nope. I am not sure there are two Vampi 1 Frazetta sigs in 9.4. You know much more about this than I do! 

Edited by icefires

On 10/16/2018 at 3:07 PM, icefires said:

The real question is, should I also buy the Vampi #1 7.5  Frazetta sig for $3999? Or what should I offer?

Edited by icefires

On 10/16/2018 at 11:51 AM, wpbooks01 said:

I'm curious, and I don't mean to come off as a total buzz kill, but are you asking this question because you want to know what 'we' really think, or because you aren't sure and want a bunch of strangers to enable your decision and give you rabid rationalization for what I consider to be a purchase that maybe requires a bit more contemplation to conclude whether it was or was not a mistake. 

My first question would have to be "are you exceedingly wealthy?" If 8G's is a drop in the bucket for you, then who cares? Right?

My next question would be "is it the signature or the condition of the Creepy that seals the deal?" I get that both aspects are enticing and may be hard to choose, but I've seen many Frazetta signatures, and while they vary in lushness and detail, to my eye that one appears strained by comparison. No doubt it was done post-stroke, but to reiterate my previous question in a post up-thread, now that I've gone and looked at the completed auction, it's wed to a Jack Davis illustration. I think there's something ironic in that respect, but also kind of odd.  Again, I mean no disrespect, but since you did post your purchase as a question, I'm looking at it as if I were the one contemplating the purchase.

I confess to not being totally onboard with the whole slabbing, third party grading thing, but I do see it's relevance in the age of internet selling and the like. I can't think of anybody's signature I'd pay real money for, but as I said, FF's could be a work of art, in and of itself, but personally I'm not crazy about that one compared to others. I'm also kind of curious about the original owner and why he/she decided that was the image they wanted FF's signature on. I can't help but think having his signature on a Jack Davis image is about the same as if he had signed a napkin....I can't wrap my brain around it. Obviously if he had signed his interior story that would make more sense to me, but you'd never know unless you broke it out of the slab, negating that sought after badge or label of honor. I suppose I'm old fashioned that way...I want FF's sig on a piece of his art, same as I would rather have Davis sign that particular cover. Had you considered a slabbed copy of a cover painted by FF and signed by him? Are there none available?

I admit to being fascinated by this thread, mainly because it appeared out of the blue and deals with a topic I've not considered before. If I had $8000 of disposable income to put towards comics and the like, I think I would have bought some original art. Obviously not a great Frazetta for that price, but there's so much out there that is excellent and one of a kind. I suppose in a way so is the slabbed, signed magazine, but it's also kind of not.....and having read the whole of this thread, up to this point, I see I'm the odd man out. I'm happy for you if you're happy, but I'm also not you so I'll leave it to you to decide what you think my answer to your question would be. Keep it safe!

The context that's missing for this post is that WPBooks is a huge EC fan and one of his prize possessions is a nice Thuunda 1.  So I don't think he's poo pooing being a comic fan, being a Frazetta fan, or even getting signed material (I believe WP has paid extra for signed books, for example), but instead he is just reeling at the price bonus for a signed cover which is not even signed by the artist who did the cover.  I think that's reasonable, but irrelevant.  The only question is whether you're happy with your collecting goal.  We all know that the bottom could always fall out for anything we buy.  So if someday you end up having to take a loss, that's ok so long as the experience you had is worth the money you lose.  The same equation we use anytime we go to a concert, play, or on a vacation:  Is the experience worth it? 

5 hours ago, seanfingh said:

I spent a lot of time laying out my thoughts on Frazetta sig value in the other thread.  I think $2000-$2250 is the fair range for the 7.5

I agree, I paid a bit more for mine, but I was getting impatient. 

On 10/17/2018 at 7:34 PM, cstojano said:

Guess there is only one signed 5.5 left then, there is always the 9.6 ;)

tallyho.jpg

Edited by Makmorn

On 10/22/2018 at 3:04 PM, seanfingh said:

I spent a lot of time laying out my thoughts on Frazetta sig value in the other thread.  I think $2000-$2250 is the fair range for the 7.5

He's pretty firm on $3100.00.  I tried :baiting: