• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the love of PGX
3 3

185 posts in this topic

Over the years I've read countless posts describing how horrible PGX grading is and seen visual evidence to that effect. 

I agree, PGX grading lacks the sophistication of CGC and they constantly over grade.

My question is, 'Outside the esteem virtual halls of the CGC Chat rooms, does the comic collecting rabble discount the value of PGX grades?'

I'm of the opinion that they buy the label and not the book.

I have a FF#1 that is a PGX 5.5.

There is no way I'm going to send it to CGC to get a 4.5 label. 

7 minutes ago, tabcom said:

My question is, 'Outside the esteem virtual halls of the CGC Chat rooms, does the comic collecting rabble discount the value of PGX grades?'

I'm seeing popular comic book channels being sponsored by, and promoting, PGX to people who don't know any better. 

32 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Why not? The CGC label looks so much nicer than the PGX label, and CGC's grade is likely more accurate to the book's condition (despite condition being very subjective).

Also, if you ever plan on selling it, a CGC 4.5 will net you more $$$$$ than a PGX 5.5. It will probably sell faster, too.

This.

Just the PGX brand alone will already eliminate a good chunk of a seller's potential buying pool for anything other than a reading copy. I'd like to think that at least 50% of the collectors with an eye keen on investment know better by now.

44 minutes ago, tabcom said:

'Outside the esteem virtual halls of the CGC Chat rooms, does the comic collecting rabble discount the value of PGX grades?'

In my limited interactions with LCS's that sell graded books, they do not. Whether or not the shops selling the PGX books know the history and reputation of PGX, I cannot say.

In my experience, just about everyone in the industry knows the reputation of PGX.  Grades on ebay sales regularly show lower prices for PGX compared to CGC.  It is not in the best interest of sellers to discount PGX books, maybe that's why LCS and online sellers don't always advertise lower prices.  Auction results show that the hobby knows the difference,  outside of just these boards.

1 hour ago, Skeptic_Kepp said:

I'm seeing popular comic book channels being sponsored by, and promoting, PGX to people who don't know any better. 

Because welovecomics decides to be sponsored and have a biased opinion doesn't mean that is the overall thoughts of the community.  I get doing your own thing but going out of your way to go against the tide when there's a flood doesn't mean you are helping anyone and its only contributing to unethical practices.  

2 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

. . . If you ever plan on selling it, a CGC 4.5 will net you more $$$$$ than a PGX 5.5. It will probably sell faster, too.

I've yet to see data to support your claim.

It is my hope that this discussion will provide supporting evidence to your claim.

15 minutes ago, Keys_Collector said:

Because welovecomics decides to be sponsored and have a biased opinion doesn't mean that is the overall thoughts of the community.

I can see how my comment might have given that impression. I just meant that the number of people who use and trust PGX is going to continue to grow.

15 minutes ago, Keys_Collector said:

I get doing your own thing but going out of your way to go against the tide when there's a flood doesn't mean you are helping anyone and its only contributing to unethical practices.  

Agree 100%.

Edited by Skeptic_Kepp

2 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

You can perform the research yourself.

Recently on eBay, Fantastic Four #52 in 9.0 has sold for $3,700 graded by PGX, and $6,300 graded by CGC.

Did you ask your peers to do your homework in K-12, too..?

To be fair, I don't think he is referring to equal grades.

Here is the type of intel I'm looking for....

352500232_ScreenShot2018-10-16at12_57_26PM.thumb.png.c60ea3319be995b5996e52049291d082.png

1930952598_ScreenShot2018-10-16at12_56_57PM.png.dd3021c6859b3b0b5a0c72217cca14a9.png

1047600958_ScreenShot2018-10-16at12_59_22PM.thumb.png.fe4e5eb7f9d99646501115e513625e6f.png

By comparison, the PGX 8.5 sold for half as much as the CGC 8.5 12 month average. The PGX 8.5 sold for about 20% more than the CGC 7.5 12 month average.

Also, the PGX sale was a 'Best offer accepted' listing.

I don't understand the purpose of this topic. You already said:

"I have a FF#1 that is a PGX 5.5.

There is no way I'm going to send it to CGC to get a 4.5 label. "

Then, I told you that CGC sells for more, and quicker. Then, you claim that there isn't data to support that. Then, I provide data that does. Then, you make the above post... JUST RESEARCH THE INFORMATION.

You're telling me that you've been a member of this site for 13 years and haven't figured out that PGX isn't a decent competitor for CGC..?

2 hours ago, tabcom said:

Over the years I've read countless posts describing how horrible PGX grading is and seen visual evidence to that effect. 

I agree, PGX grading lacks the sophistication of CGC and they constantly over grade.

I'm of the opinion that they buy the label and not the book.

I have a FF#1 that is a PGX 5.5.

There is no way I'm going to send it to CGC to get a 4.5 label. 

I will buy it what's a fair price.:whistle: