• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the love of PGX
3 3

185 posts in this topic

Just now, Skeptic_Kepp said:

This guy seems super uptight. No clue why.

If you're talking about me, I'm not "uptight", I just don't understand the premise of a discussion being led by, "There is no way I'm going to send it to CGC to get a 4.5 label."

I'm also inherently against doing work for others that can be done themselves. As a 13-year member of these forums, you should know what data is publicly available to you, and use it to form the same opinion that everyone who doesn't work for PGX has.

1 minute ago, Skeptic_Kepp said:

Maybe there is value to having this conversation due to PGX's continued growth despite their negative reputation? New people join the board all the time.

Unfortunately, the internet is rife with people who ask questions looking for an easy answer instead of doing the work themselves.  If they wanted to, they could take the data (as they've done) and present it in the format of a PSA.  At the end of the day it's "give a man fish vs teach a man to fish" type of thing.  Most of the time I'm inclined to give the quick easy answer.  But sometimes you just see one too many and have to help a person by teaching them to help themself.

4 minutes ago, woowoo said:

CGC grades are strict pgx grades are lose right. BUY THE BOOK NOT THE GRADE you hear this all the time guess what its TRUE :whee:

Yes, indeed.

To expand on the OP, the general comic book collector doesn't always look at it that way.

1 minute ago, tabcom said:

Yes, indeed.

To expand on the OP, the general comic book collector doesn't always look at it that way.

I don't think so. Graded books are still a niche. The general comic collector buys primarily raws/readers. When you buy those, you're looking for the book and not the grade.

3 minutes ago, tabcom said:

Yes, indeed.

I guarantee you, the majority of people buying books at my LCS are not getting books slabbed.  I would venture a guess that most of them are unfamiliar with the process and the various companies involved.

TwoPiece . . . in your opinion, what percentage of comic book collectors (investors) are actively spending time on CGC Forums? 

I like hanging out in the GA forum. Over the years, I'd guess about 150 members regularly post\lurk there on any given day.

It is my opinion, the general comic collector isn't as informed about the business of graded comics.

1 minute ago, tabcom said:

TwoPiece . . . in your opinion, what percentage of comic book collectors (investors) are actively spending time on CGC Forums? 

I like hanging out in the GA forum. Over the years, I'd guess about 150 members regularly post\lurk there on any given day.

It is my opinion, the general comic collector isn't as informed about the business of graded comics.

Your first mistake is assuming that all comic collectors are investors. They're not one in the same.

A very small percentage of comic collectors is a member of these CGC forums.

1 minute ago, TwoPiece said:

Do you work for PGX or something, @tabcomWhat's the purpose of this thread..?

I'm an uptight computer engineer by trade.

The purpose is to confirm my opinion that there is no value in cracking and submitting my FF#1 PGX 5.5 to CGC.