• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the love of PGX
3 3

185 posts in this topic

I got a copy of Detective 1 and 27 with a Batman 1 in a pgx holder's.  I have had them since the early 80's 

I and a bunch of old timers have grade the Tec 1 as Ex restored 8.5 it got pgx 8.0.

Tec 27  was graded buy use as a 4.5 Ex restored it got 4.5

The Bat was graded as VF/NM  it got 8.5 Ex restored.

I needed a fast 3rd party opinion to sell on ebay so I drove to them

I don't care if the Tec was a CGC restored 3.5 or a pgx 4.5 on these book's you know your getting restored key. The grade going one way or other don't matter.

YOU BUY THE BOOK NOT THE HOLDER.

NOW THAT BEING SAID I WISH THEY WOULD BE IN A CGC HOLDER INSTEAD PGX:makepoint::makepoint::makepoint:   :cry: :cry: :cry:.

Edited by woowoo

3 hours ago, woowoo said:

I got a copy of Detective 1 and 27 with a Batman 1 in a pgx holder's.  I have had them since the early 80's 

I and a bunch of old timers have grade the Tec 1 as Ex restored 8.5 it got pgx 8.0.

Tec 27  was graded buy use as a 4.5 Ex restored it got 4.5

The Bat was graded as VF/NM  it got 8.5 Ex restored.

I needed a fast 3rd party opinion to sell on ebay so I drove to them

I don't care if the Tec was a CGC restored 3.5 or a pgx 4.5 on these book's you know your getting restored key. The grade going one way or other don't matter.

YOU BUY THE BOOK NOT THE HOLDER.

NOW THAT BEING SAID I WISH THEY WOULD BE IN A CGC HOLDER INSTEAD PGX:makepoint::makepoint::makepoint:   :cry: :cry: :cry:.

I'd rather have them raw than in a PGX holder. :kidaround:

14 hours ago, tabcom said:

I've only owned 1 PGX comic. So far no symptoms of contracting the plague. I agree, they're sub=par.

I had a great opportunity to own a FF#1 a couple years back. Turned out to be a good investment. I don't plan on selling anytime soon. But when I do, it will probably be offered in its PGX case.

You obviously have no clue to PGX's extensive fraudulent history, nor do many other collectors in the hobby such as yourself.  And I doubt you even looked at RMA's link to some of PGX's notorious past activities http://www.justafanboy.com/PGX/

Wish you the best of luck with a restoration check on the FF#1 :wishluck:

Here's a blast from the past.  Hilarious forged Ditko signature authenticated by the highly respected experts at PGX lol

RAD9FAF12016927_155725.jpg

Edited by mosconi

1 hour ago, mosconi said:

A>>>You obviously have no clue to PGX's extensive fraudulent history, nor do many other collectors in the hobby such as yourself. 

B>>>And I doubt you even looked at RMA's link to some of PGX's notorious past activities http://www.justafanboy.com/PGX

A. True (at the time of purchase)

B. True

With respect to the OP, I don't believe many collectors beyond this forum know PGX notorious history as well.

Hence, I'm satisfied in leaving the Ff#1 'as is' in my collection.

When the day comes to sell, I believe the 5.5 pgx will sell for more then the 4.5 cgc grade it deserves. Furthermore, IMHO, I don't think the buyer would even contemplate my previous sentence in making their purchasing decision.

I get the "buy the book not the label" rationale regarding PGX slabs... BUT you only have access to the front and back of the book. 

And you cant check for restoration by looking at an ebay picture (in many cases, some stuff is obvious). 

The point being you can look at a PGX 7.0 book, and think "yeah it looks like a 7.0 so Im safe", but you cant see internal problems, detached covers/centerfolds etc. 

Andy your initial question of whether the rest of the comic market treats PGX with the same disdain as people here on the CGC message boards... well based on the market devaluing their slabs the answer is at least in part, yes the general collecting public does downgrade pgx. 

20 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

I have mixed feelings when it comes to PGX but not because I feel that every comic book they grade is inferior to CGC.  I do not respect their grade due to widespread inconsistency. 

I've cracked out hundreds of CGC books, and they have no claim to consistency either.

I've probably cracked out about 40 PGX books.  These were typically cheaper HG SA books, but I detected no monkey business as far as restoration goes, and the grading was OK in relation to CGC, but I tend to really scrutinize my slabbed purchases of any of the grading companies.  If the book is obviously not close to the stated grade, I don't purchase, and that includes CGC books.

I've probably only cracked out about 10 or so CBCS books, and those I tend to scrutinize even more, as most of those were a disappointment.

Grading is an art, not a science, so I doubt inconsistency issues with either CGC, PGX or CBCS will ever be resolved.

5 hours ago, tabcom said:

With respect to the OP...

When the day comes to sell, I believe the 5.5 pgx will sell for more then the 4.5 cgc grade it deserves...

1) Why do you keep paying respect to yourself/your own post..?

2) You're wrong.

What you "believe" is entirely meaningless. Most Fantastic Four #1 buyers will know the difference between CGC, PGX, and a raw. When it comes to high-end issues like this, most people will do their homework for such an important purchase/investment.

Edited by TwoPiece

6 hours ago, tabcom said:

A. True (at the time of purchase)

B. True

With respect to the OP, I don't believe many collectors beyond this forum know PGX notorious history as well.

Hence, I'm satisfied in leaving the Ff#1 'as is' in my collection.

When the day comes to sell, I believe the 5.5 pgx will sell for more then the 4.5 cgc grade it deserves. Furthermore, IMHO, I don't think the buyer would even contemplate my previous sentence in making their purchasing decision.

As future collectors become more aware, astute, and do a little research on the history of PGX, they'll eventually gain an understanding as to why PGX can't be trusted and why their slabs sell for considerable discounts.  Sure, some slabs may turn out to be fine, but you take a major gamble every time you roll the dice on a purchased PGX comic.  PGX has no credibility as a restoration detection service.  Why would anyone want to take that risk on a high dollar "slabbed" book unless they can buy it at a maximum discount?   

It's funny, they claim on their website that "Our exclusive in-house pressing service is done here in our facility by the best, most experienced presser in the industry".  Heads up, there is no facility, nor have they ever listed an address other than a PO Box in their entire existence doh!

Edited by mosconi

15 minutes ago, mosconi said:

It's funny, they claim on their website that "Our exclusive in-house pressing service is done here in our facility by the best, most experienced presser in the industry".  Heads up, there is no facility, nor have they ever listed an address other than a PO Box in their entire existence doh!

Hey, cut them some slack.  Obviously a run of the mill ironing board counts as a "press", and an attached garage to a single family home counts as a "facility".

7 hours ago, mosconi said:

You obviously have no clue to PGX's extensive fraudulent history, nor do many other collectors in the hobby such as yourself.  And I doubt you even looked at RMA's link to some of PGX's notorious past activities http://www.justafanboy.com/PGX/

Wish you the best of luck with a restoration check on the FF#1 :wishluck:

Here's a blast from the past.  Hilarious forged Ditko signature authenticated by the highly respected experts at PGX lol

RAD9FAF12016927_155725.jpg

Pretty sure that Stan Lee is forged as well.

I have a question @tabcom and I promise that I’m not trying to fan the fire.  Would any part of you not wanting to submit your FF 1 to CGC have anything do to with the fact that you might be nervous about what comes back?  Undisclosed restoration or something missing inside?  Even if it’s just a small part of you that feels that way.  Again, not trying to stir the pot, I’d really like to know.

9 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

I'd rather have them raw than in a PGX holder. :kidaround:

There Holders are great the rest of them :makepoint:  They were good in the start but did not last in time. I am glade to say I started out as a 10 now I am a 4.5 and the more you handle me the more thumb prints I get.:whatthe:

2 hours ago, lizards2 said:

I've cracked out hundreds of CGC books, and they have no claim to consistency either.

I've probably cracked out about 40 PGX books.  These were typically cheaper HG SA books, but I detected no monkey business as far as restoration goes, and the grading was OK in relation to CGC, but I tend to really scrutinize my slabbed purchases of any of the grading companies.  If the book is obviously not close to the stated grade, I don't purchase, and that includes CGC books.

I've probably only cracked out about 10 or so CBCS books, and those I tend to scrutinize even more, as most of those were a disappointment.

Grading is an art, not a science, so I doubt inconsistency issues with either CGC, PGX or CBCS will ever be resolved.

:golfclap:Meal worms for you

2 hours ago, awakeintheashes said:

Seems like the purpose of this thread is to help the OP sleep at night by justifying either

A. His asking price when it comes time to sell, or

B. The price he paid for it.

Neither

Will send to comiclink auctions at some point in the distant future. 

Purchased book nearly 3 years ago. Price has appreciated 2.5x since then.

22 minutes ago, DocHoppus182 said:

I have a question @tabcom and I promise that I’m not trying to fan the fire.  Would any part of you not wanting to submit your FF 1 to CGC have anything do to with the fact that you might be nervous about what comes back?  Undisclosed restoration or something missing inside?  Even if it’s just a small part of you that feels that way.  Again, not trying to stir the pot, I’d really like to know.

I don't fear restoration nor pieces missing. I do fear the grade being BLUE 4.5 at worst; 5.0 at best.

6 minutes ago, tabcom said:

I don't fear restoration nor pieces missing. I do fear the grade being BLUE 4.5 at worst; 5.0 at best.

Which, again, will net you more $$$$$ than a crappy PGX-graded copy.

Buyers will beware the PGX slab because they know there may be undisclosed restoration, etc. That is why CGC sells better and for more.

Let this thread die.