• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the love of PGX
3 3

185 posts in this topic

On 10/16/2018 at 1:47 PM, tabcom said:

With respects to the OP, IMHO, no one outside of the CGC Forum much cares (as the sales data I'm posting suggests).

Hence, PGX is still in the marketplace.

Taking a look at eBay sold listings reviles a total of 85,000 ish CGC sales and 1,700 ish sales for PGX in the same time frame.

So plenty of people outside of the CGC Forum are buying CGC over PGX, at least on eBay.

On 10/16/2018 at 11:43 AM, tabcom said:

I've yet to see data to support your claim.

It is my hope that this discussion will provide supporting evidence to your claim.

Well if it makes a difference. As a buyer I would NEVER buy an expensive book in a pgx case unless it was being priced as a raw restored book. In an auction setting you will lose many buyers before the auction has even started. 

On 10/16/2018 at 11:14 AM, marmat said:

The risk is it could come back from CGC  Purple with piece/pages missing

You think PGX is that awful that they'll miss something that obvious? xD

The larger risk would be restoration but they'll screen for that as part of the crossover submissions deal 

15 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

You think PGX is that awful that they'll miss something that obvious? xD

The larger risk would be restoration but they'll screen for that as part of the crossover submissions deal 

lollollollol Are you being serious?You don't think PGX would miss pages missing,cut outs and more?

16 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

Presumably a missing page or a cutout would be pretty hard to miss for anybody 

Someone posted an example earlier today.

8 hours ago, devco said:

This is why PGX is anathema. 

0C9E4A12-D0C1-4B89-860C-194ACE00BC93.jpeg

On 10/16/2018 at 10:31 AM, tabcom said:

Over the years I've read countless posts describing how horrible PGX grading is and seen visual evidence to that effect. 

I agree, PGX grading lacks the sophistication of CGC and they constantly over grade.

My question is, 'Outside the esteem virtual halls of the CGC Chat rooms, does the comic collecting rabble discount the value of PGX grades?'

I'm of the opinion that they buy the label and not the book.

I have a FF#1 that is a PGX 5.5.

There is no way I'm going to send it to CGC to get a 4.5 label. 

I think you have it the other way around, for most people, it's buy the book NOT the label which is hard to do if the thing is slabbed.  The problem with PGX is their restoration check (if you can even call it that). They're known widely around the hobby for putting unrestored labels on restored books which has in some cases cost buyers thousands of dollars.  I've never bought a PGX book because I always thought books in the PGX holders were hiding something, i.e., restoration, being overgraded, pages missing, major tears, etc.  I work too hard for my money and couldn't know in good conscience I'd likely be buying something where there was a caveat or something I did not know was wrong with it.

PGX is all an illusion. Do this for me if you believe in PGX. Go to CGCs main page and look for the names and faces of the people that run their business. Read about the people and their qualifications for this hobby. Now do the same for CBCS. I am no fan of them but I believe they are qualified to grade comics. Read their site. Find the people that grade their comics. Now finally go to PGXs website and come back here and post any name or any picture of whos running that company. Once you have we will continue this conversation.

Well, I bought an Avengers #6  a few years back graded by PGX at 9.0. After I got the book, I thought it looked awful darn good and decided to crack it out and send to CGC. To be safe, I also had it pressed and lo and behold, it came back CGC 9.4 Universal. Whew! 

15 hours ago, HENRYSPENCER said:

I think you have it the other way around, for most people, it's buy the book NOT the label which is hard to do if the thing is slabbed.  The problem with PGX is their restoration check (if you can even call it that). They're known widely around the hobby for putting unrestored labels on restored books which has in some cases cost buyers thousands of dollars.  I've never bought a PGX book because I always thought books in the PGX holders were hiding something, i.e., restoration, being overgraded, pages missing, major tears, etc.  I work too hard for my money and couldn't know in good conscience I'd likely be buying something where there was a caveat or something I did not know was wrong with it.

Would you buy a PGX book if CGC graders checked it and found no restoration?

7 hours ago, tabcom said:

Would you buy a PGX book if CGC graders checked it and found no restoration?

Yes. Because in your scenario the book ceases being a PGX book and becomes a CGC book at that point. I trust the professionals at CGC far more than I trust the folks at PGX. To my knowledge though CGC graders aren't just sitting at a booth at Cons/events to just take books for comprehensive restoration reviews free of charge.

Edited by fullerjason
Spelled a word wrong.