• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the love of PGX
3 3

185 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, Jaylam said:

Well, I bought an Avengers #6  a few years back graded by PGX at 9.0. After I got the book, I thought it looked awful darn good and decided to crack it out and send to CGC. To be safe, I also had it pressed and lo and behold, it came back CGC 9.4 Universal. Whew! 

I bought a cheap Subby #7 PGX 9.0 slab a while back. It went to CGC & came back a 9.0.

If you're willing to gamble, you can get these books for cheap.

19 hours ago, Ride the Tiger said:

PGX is all an illusion. Do this for me if you believe in PGX. Go to CGCs main page and look for the names and faces of the people that run their business. Read about the people and their qualifications for this hobby. Now do the same for CBCS. I am no fan of them but I believe they are qualified to grade comics. Read their site. Find the people that grade their comics. Now finally go to PGXs website and come back here and post any name or any picture of whos running that company. Once you have we will continue this conversation.

I found the PGX guys...

Image result for pizza hut storefront

With that said it would be nice if there was a $5-7 grading service that does a resto/page check on par with mycomicshop or comicconnect and stick the book in one of those thick Mylar cases, seal the top with the label/grade, etc. For pre-76 books, top value $100-125, maybe 9.4 as the top achievable grade, etc. 

I'd trust Euro Grader more than I'd trust PGX and I'd trust CBCS over both those. But in the end I'd go for CGC.

CGC is like Ford, CBCS is like VW, Euro Grader err... Skoda maybe and PGX is a bus ticket lol 

2 hours ago, Gaard said:

:smile:

When I was growing up, I was always told that the lottery is the poor man's retirement fund.

That's more gracious than what it's called around here.  The lottery is called the "stoopid tax".

29 minutes ago, valiantman said:

That's more gracious than what it's called around here.  The lottery is called the "stoopid tax".

Yeah, I hope to win the lottery one day.  I don't buy lottery tickets, but I figure my chances of finding a winning ticket on the ground are around the same as the chances of buying one are.

4 minutes ago, thunsicker said:

Yeah, I hope to win the lottery one day.  I don't buy lottery tickets, but I figure my chances of finding a winning ticket on the ground are around the same as the chances of buying one are.

Interesting point... and your risk of loss is zero.  hm  That's literally the only way anyone should play the lottery. (thumbsu

1 hour ago, valiantman said:

Interesting point... and your risk of loss is zero.  hm  That's literally the only way anyone should play the lottery. (thumbsu

Office pools help give you a .0000000001% chance at least.

Just now, the blob said:
1 hour ago, valiantman said:

Office pools help give you a .0000000001% chance at least.

Right but the risk of loss is greater than zero. Office pools are a worse idea than playing the "maybe I'll find a ticket on the ground" method.

33 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Right but the risk of loss is greater than zero. Office pools are a worse idea than playing the "maybe I'll find a ticket on the ground" method.

You're no fun. I worked in an office where someone won Lotto twice. But it was a long time ago when the Jackpot was only $1 million. They didn't retire after the first one because it was just $50K a year. But they did retire after the second one.

$2 is less than a slice of pizza. The pizza is no good for me. I don't mind tossing $2 in for the office to buy 50 or whatever tickets. I consider that $2 as insurance against me jumping out the window if they did, in fact, win. Plus they only do it when it gets well over $200 million.

Edited by the blob

16 hours ago, the blob said:

You're no fun. I worked in an office where someone won Lotto twice. But it was a long time ago when the Jackpot was only $1 million. They didn't retire after the first one because it was just $50K a year. But they did retire after the second one.

$2 is less than a slice of pizza. The pizza is no good for me. I don't mind tossing $2 in for the office to buy 50 or whatever tickets. I consider that $2 as insurance against me jumping out the window if they did, in fact, win. Plus they only do it when it gets well over $200 million.

Same. I have no delusions about winning, but I DO have an abiding fear of being left behind if all of the rest of these jerks hit the big time.

On 1/2/2019 at 6:16 AM, tabcom said:

Would you buy a PGX book if CGC graders checked it and found no restoration?

I'm a lot less hesitant to pull the trigger on a high dollar book when it comes to being CGC graded. So yes.  CGC, however, is not full proof either as evidenced by the Ewert micro trimming fiasco.  Most deals happen online these days, but I make it an effort to know who I'm buying from, their return policy and most importantly their reputation.

On 1/2/2019 at 5:16 AM, tabcom said:

Would you buy a PGX book if CGC graders checked it and found no restoration?

So if I see a PGX book that I want I just call a CGC grader and they will come and look at the book still encapsulated and let me know if it is restored? Dammmmmm that is so cool.