• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FF 48 vs Strange Tales 110 both Keys
2 2

30 posts in this topic

Hi all, new this board.

FF 48 CGC 9.8 vs Strange Tales 110 CGC 9.4

So I really want both books but pockets dictate only one to choose so which is a better silver age key to buy and hold for 5+years.

I really want to hold it for the long run so short term price fluctuations is not that important compared to a better investment in the long run.

Thanks in advance!

While i am a Fan of Both, I think FF48 will surpass most Marvel books with Exception of only a handful GALCTUS & SILVER SURFER make it more desriable.  However I love me some ST 110 and if you have a 9.4 that is beyond rarer than an FF48 in 9.4 13 vs 134

AF15

ASM1

FF1

HULK 1

JIM 83

TOS 39

HOWEVER ST 110 IS RIGHT ON ITS HEELS in the mid grade.  but 9+ Strange tales

Edited by Jaydee

one of the reasons that strange tales 110 is not a much more valuable key is that Dr Strange does not appear on the cover. of course neither does the surfer in FF48, but at least that cover is about the same story. dr strange is also new to the MCU, but he has already starred in his own film and has a major role in the avengers and the future of the MCU. surfer is a big unknown. comic nerds like us love him the most, but will mainstream america? hard to believe that a guy who rides a surfboard in space will become a mainline movie character, whereas dr strange already is. this idea is not popular on these boards, but think about it. he rides a surfboard. it's at it's heart a very 60's character. james gunn hinted that he would put him in a guardians film but now gunn is no longer making the movie, someone else is. 

ST110 in high grade also is a rarer book. and lastly, ff48 has had an enormous price jump this last year. so you would be buying at the peak. ST110 has not really done squat price-wise. i'd get the ST110.  both books are awesome. although if you really want to make money in 5 years, get an AF15 and sit on it. 

While I love the Surfer as much as anybody, I think Silver Surfer is overrated imo as a character for Marvel films, and it’s the films that drive the market price now. While he could be a guest star in a future FF movie perhaps, I don’t think he’ll ever get his own movie. He’s just not human enough (and therefore a risk for audiences to connect with) for Marvel to risk pouring millions into a solo MCU film. I also think it’ll be a while before you see the Galactus story as it’s been done and Kevin Feige doesn’t seem to like repetition in Marvel movies which is why we may never a MCU Dark Phoenix saga. Dr Strange, on the other hand, is just getting started in the MCU. That being said, I think FF 48 has more potential for relative growth at this point, has a better cover, and has always been a fan favorite collector’s item. I just wouldn’t expect a skyrocket in value. 

4 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

one of the reasons that strange tales 110 is not a much more valuable key is that Dr Strange does not appear on the cover. of course neither does the surfer in FF48, but at least that cover is about the same story. dr strange is also new to the MCU, but he has already starred in his own film and has a major role in the avengers and the future of the MCU. surfer is a big unknown. comic nerds like us love him the most, but will mainstream america? hard to believe that a guy who rides a surfboard in space will become a mainline movie character, whereas dr strange already is. this idea is not popular on these boards, but think about it. he rides a surfboard. it's at it's heart a very 60's character. james gunn hinted that he would put him in a guardians film but now gunn is no longer making the movie, someone else is. 

ST110 in high grade also is a rarer book. and lastly, ff48 has had an enormous price jump this last year. so you would be buying at the peak. ST110 has not really done squat price-wise. i'd get the ST110.  both books are awesome. although if you really want to make money in 5 years, get an AF15 and sit on it. 

I do agree not having Surfer or Galactus or Strange on any of these book's cover does have some effects on the value or the book's potential. Look at AF15 or even IH181 both have a Great cover that's has the introduction of the character front and center.

Speaking of AF15 as the better overall buy, then to compare apples to apples in terms of price a FF48 CGC 9.8 is around an AF15 CGC 5 to 5.5. So at that graded level AF15 is still a better buy vs FF48 CGC 9.8??

3 minutes ago, Pontoon said:

You want to spend $30k+ and are asking a bunch of strangers with your first post?

My first post, but have been collecting for a while. 

And yes, I am having hard time deciding between the two books since they are relative close in terms of price and both are key issues in regards to SS and Dr. Strange. 

Also I believe this board has much more experience and insights in comics vs me lonesome so I thought would be a good idea to get other enthusiasts' honest opinions. 

My honest opinion is that no one can say definitively which book is the objective better pick.

I will say that you will almost certainly enjoy owning the comic more if you choose the one you like best. 

No math involved, just cool factor. Channel your inner 12 year old!

1 hour ago, carefulsum said:

I do agree not having Surfer or Galactus or Strange on any of these book's cover does have some effects on the value or the book's potential. Look at AF15 or even IH181 both have a Great cover that's has the introduction of the character front and center.

Speaking of AF15 as the better overall buy, then to compare apples to apples in terms of price a FF48 CGC 9.8 is around an AF15 CGC 5 to 5.5. So at that graded level AF15 is still a better buy vs FF48 CGC 9.8??

show me a silver age collector who doesnt covet an AF15 5.0 or 5.5! it's the holy grail for us, and unless you think people are tired of spidey, will continue to be for a long while. it's also proven as a great investment. my 4.5 is worth twice what i paid just a few years ago. that wont happen every year but over 5 years its a great great book to own. the other two you are looking at are nowhere as safe a bet. though they certainly could do well too. if you dont have an af15, and investing is a priority for you, you really ought to consider that in your decision. but if its more about a book you love, and that is rare, then st110 9.4 seems like the better move than ff48 imho.

1 hour ago, KirbyJack said:

My honest opinion is that no one can say definitively which book is the objective better pick.

I will say that you will almost certainly enjoy owning the comic more if you choose the one you like best. 

No math involved, just cool factor. Channel your inner 12 year old!

Honestly if channeling my inner 12yr old and based on just cool factor.....I want AF15 and X-men1...but very $$$ for the grades I want.  

I also say go for the one that gets you the most excited to own, but from a practical/investment perspective, I fear owning 9.8's. 

So often I see a 9.8 grade that I don't agree with, or which has a bit of SCS that's made it 'worse'...there's no wiggle room.  The same can happen on a 9.4 as well, of course, but if I'm putting in $30k I don't want to fear one drop of the slab with my very soul!  :cry:

Dan

17 hours ago, carefulsum said:

Honestly if channeling my inner 12yr old and based on just cool factor.....I want AF15 and X-men1...but very $$$ for the grades I want.  

If you want an AF15, a 5.5 puts you in the top 20% of universal graded copies, fwiw. Food for thought when comparing the higher grade other two books for your choice. 

If I had 30K to spend on a comic book I would absolutely go for a mid grade AF 15. FF 48 and ST 110 are great books to own but you can purchase any silver age book when you have that much available to spend. There are so many attractive possibilities...

10 hours ago, JohnH19 said:

If I had 30K to spend on a comic book I would absolutely go for a mid grade AF 15. FF 48 and ST 110 are great books to own but you can purchase any silver age book when you have that much available to spend. There are so many attractive possibilities...

Yeah, I agree. Why waste time with Doc Strange or Norrin Radd when you could own a decent copy of AF 15, the most important Marvel Comic ever? You could also consider taking some of that disposable cash/credit and invest in Carol Danvers i.e. a really nice copy of MSH 13. Looks like she might be the MCU's Superman going forward. With the company's name in her title, Disney/Marvel ain't messing around with Captain Marvel.