• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seling Comics - Business Potential?
3 3

90 posts in this topic

From the start Im telling you this is a loaded question. Also, this post is geared towards seasoned sellers doing 100K a year or more in sales..

Ive started collecting again after many years, but more on the business side of things, buying and selling comics. I spend about 5-10 hours a weeks depending on the week, as i have a 9-6 regular job.
Ive picked up a knack on getting great deals for books, and have actually passed up some great deals simply because i either didnt have space or the time to dedicate to it. As it is i have about 2500 raw books that  i need to bag, board and list for sale. Could potentially take me months to get around to.
Im actually thinking of leaving my 9-6 job for various reasons and before I transition into something new i was wondering (the question)
A- How much potential there is to grow my comic business? Like can i sell 100k a year just on ebay?
B- And if anyone has a clue as to what kind of volume are the small, medium, and large dealers are doing?

Your input is much appreciated.

Edited by moemaya
typo

There's a journal section on these boards of people who deal comics SERIOUSLY, but still as side businesses.  Go peek around.  Additionally, there's plenty of big dealers on the boards, you can get familiar with the boards and seek them out, maybe via pm.  And while they can be nice and helpful, you are asking for the proprietary information that MIGHT turn you into a competitor of theirs.  Which means they might be reticent or you might need to factor that in when asking for help or accepting answers.

Selling $100K on ebay isn't THAT hard, but the questions are more about your profit margin and your access to new collections of sellable books, and the amount of time you want to spend.  You might do it your first year if you start with a nice collection, but restocking...

How much do you think you can sell your 2500 raw books for?

11 minutes ago, SitDown said:

$4 a book? Do NOT quit your day job.

..as i said conservatively, maybe 20k no idea. i havent even looked through them all. there may be a hulk 181 in there for all i know. i just got it yesterday.

and thats just one small deal that i bought.

Also if you read my post - i am leaving my day job regardless, so i am at a cross roads of how to handle the comics potential - thats all. I had my own importing business for 17 years before this job so i have a handle on how running a business works..

Well, if you have to ask which comics over the last 20 years are worth anything:

What the key issues are:

How to count unbagged comics:

And now the business potential for selling comics, I'd wager you're not quite ready to leave your 9-5 and become a full-time comic dealer.

Thank you @ Pontoon

for putting all that effort to look into my profile. I didnt think I was that important :) I know Im not ready to be full-time - thats why im asking these questions.

By the way - that last post of mine you quoted "counting unbagged comics" - that was my score on these 2500 books. mostly bronze. I just started going through them.

First 12 books i pull out are Detective Comics 397-408 (yes including #400) all in FN/VF more or less. not bad for a newbie.

9 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

making money isn't that difficult if

a) you have money

b) are smart with it

c) willing to work hard

how much money you make depends on how much or how little you do on the abc

great smart reply - thanks. i guess my first challenge is to see how fast i can get back my investment on this newest batch...

2 hours ago, moemaya said:

A- How much potential there is to grow my comic business? Like can i sell 100k a year just on ebay?
B- And if anyone has a clue as to what kind of volume are the small, medium, and large dealers are doing?

Regarding Question A How can anyone here possibly answer that . It's really up to you and how much you want to put into it, time and money. To sell 100K a year you need to have at least 100K in a continuous stream of inventory. Where are you going to get this inventory ? Maybe you had a lucky score on the 2500 books. Don't mistake luck for skill. I would not quit your day job.

Regarding Question B: Why would anybody answer that question. I don't think dealers want to go on a public site and discuss their personal finances.

2 hours ago, SitDown said:

$4 a book? Do NOT quit your day job.

THIS times 1000.  I don't know what you do in your 9-5 job, but I assure you that based on the numbers so far, you will find selling 25,000 comic books a year will take a lot more than 40 hours a week of your time. 

28 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Regarding Question A How can anyone here possibly answer that . It's really up to you and how much you want to put into it, time and money. To sell 100K a year you need to have at least 100K in a continuous stream of inventory. Where are you going to get this inventory ? Maybe you had a lucky score on the 2500 books. Don't mistake luck for skill. I would not quit your day job.

Regarding Question B: Why would anybody answer that question. I don't think dealers want to go on a public site and discuss their personal finances.

This times 999..... Especially response to question B. No one is going to answer this question. Unless they are offering their business up for sale OR applying for a loan at the bank. Even then the numbers will only be provided to serious buyers or the bank loan officer. 

For decades I did mail order sales of collectible comics as a part time business via mail order while I worked a normal 8-4 job. You might find this is what is best for you but using online/ebay/comic books shows. Because old fashion mail order is much out of favor.  I would also offer - as advice  - that you need to move up the food chain as far as value of your inventory if you want to make $$ and not work like a rented mule.  It takes just as much time and effort to sell a $5 book as $50 or a  $500 book. You will likely have a larger gross profit margin selling $5 books. But you should make a lot more $$ per book selling $500 books. Or even $50 books.  When it comes to listing items, taking pictures, answering inquiries,, packing items for shipment - the time spent is the same regardless of the value of the book(s).  

Thank @Tony S the B question was just to get a feel - wasnt expecting anybody to offer their tax returns for me to peruse. Just ball park numbers. But it was kind of a dumb question on my part.

Anyway thanks for the advice. I am a top seller on ebay in jewelry, comics and other items and over 5100 feedbacks - so i have some experience in this.

Everybody got caught up on the $4 a book thing. Guys i just bought this lot - i have no idea whats in there, maybe itll average out to a lot more. Its like 20 boxes all mixed bronze , silver and some modern.

I agree that the effort for a $5 book and a $50 or 500 book is the same. my goal is the latter.

1 minute ago, moemaya said:

Thank @Tony S the B question was just to get a feel - wasnt expecting anybody to offer their tax returns for me to peruse. Just ball park numbers. But it was kind of a dumb question on my part.

Anyway thanks for the advice. I am a top seller on ebay in jewelry, comics and other items and over 5100 feedbacks - so i have some experience in this.

Everybody got caught up on the $4 a book thing. Guys i just bought this lot - i have no idea whats in there, maybe itll average out to a lot more. Its like 20 boxes all mixed bronze , silver and some modern.

I agree that the effort for a $5 book and a $50 or 500 book is the same. my goal is the latter.

I hope you find a stack of 9.8 AF 15s in there!

Edited by kav

4 minutes ago, moemaya said:

nah lets be realistic 9.4 and i'll be ok. and who needs a stack. 3 or 4 copies is fine.. gee whiz that was such a funny reply, hold on im rolling on the floor now...

ok lets just say two 10.0 copies then you can immediately retire from your nascent business!!

2 hours ago, moemaya said:

Thank you @ Pontoon

for putting all that effort to look into my profile. I didnt think I was that important :) I know Im not ready to be full-time - thats why im asking these questions.

By the way - that last post of mine you quoted "counting unbagged comics" - that was my score on these 2500 books. mostly bronze. I just started going through them.

First 12 books i pull out are Detective Comics 397-408 (yes including #400) all in FN/VF more or less. not bad for a newbie.

And if all 2500 are like that you are doing great. What are the chances of that? There are a lot of $1-3 BA books. Lord knows I own plenty.

Edited by the blob