• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seling Comics - Business Potential?
3 3

90 posts in this topic

I wanted to unload some of low end stuff, a lot of copper especially. I opened an eBay store and ran it for three months, and on top of my full time job, which I do from home mind you, it was exceedingly time consuming. Also once eBay and PayPal take their cut and you pay for all the packaging and shipping needs, it's a hard way to turn a dollar. It's definitely not for me. I got to a point where I sold all the stuff that would move fairly well, so the rest I took to a LCS. For different reasons, I have considered exiting the hobby entirely, and if I were to do that, I'd find a dealer to take what I have left. I just don't want to take time from the rest of my life to sell this stuff.

The work in this business doesn't feel much like work (which is why so many people do it as a side thing after their real job) but it is incredibly time consuming and all front loaded. You have to grade and price all the average books and then they sell over time.

Storage is brutal where I live. 90 feet at a non-climate controlled self-storage place is $270!  Cheapest small office you can find is $800 or so.

17 minutes ago, HouseofComics.Com said:

The work in this business doesn't feel much like work (which is why so many people do it as a side thing after their real job) but it is incredibly time consuming and all front loaded. You have to grade and price all the average books and then they sell over time.

Storage is brutal where I live. 90 feet at a non-climate controlled self-storage place is $270!  Cheapest small office you can find is $800 or so.

The part I hate most is  scanning books.  listing, packaging and taking to PO dont bug me but the scanning!!

On 10/17/2018 at 5:33 PM, shadroch said:

I've ran the math a number of times and even owning all my inventory so there was no inventory cost, it's rough clearing much more than 25-30K without putting in a lot of hours. 

Sending $500-600 worth of books a month  to auction houses is less work and nets about the same. I just started selling on ebay after a nearly two year hiatus.

Last week I sold $271 worth of stuff. My cost were $45 plus the ebay fees. I'm hoping to list about $200 a week for the next few months. 

Welcome to the shallow end of the pool. Free money abounds.

1 hour ago, HouseofComics.Com said:

This. I wouldn't this this much work if I didn't love doing it. There are easier ways to make money. 

2 hours ago, blazingbob said:

Anybody with a Ron Jeremy Logo is never in the shallow end of the pool

He might scrape the bottom with his dingaling, but Ron Jeremy is like 5 feet tall.

Edited by the blob

32 minutes ago, the blob said:

his dingaling 

Those of you who will not sing-

Edited by kav