• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Capital Comic Book Convention - Ottawa,Ontario,Canada

6 posts in this topic

Ottawa's first comic book only convention is coming on Sunday October 28th from 11am-5pm at the Marriott Hotel at 100 Kent Street in the heart of downtown Ottawa. The dealer room will feature comic books, comic magazines and trade paperbacks only, a perfect event for the serious comic collector or comic book fan! Admission is $5 for adults, $2 for kids. 

IMG_0462.JPG

Good first show.  I didnt find much for myself, but the dealers were happy to see new faces out, so the advertising worked.  Do we know how many people attended?

I'm told a lot of those new people were buying volumes of cheap stuff, and not just key-hunting, which is very good news.  Ottawa is a poorly developed comic market, so we need a few years of sustained sales to grow people's appetites for bigger books and not just new hotness.  The local stores have little vintage stock, and have punishing pricing on everything else, which stifles readers and run collectors.  These conventions should help if they bring serious dealers to town.

On 10/29/2018 at 8:20 AM, FineCollector said:

Good first show.  I didnt find much for myself, but the dealers were happy to see new faces out, so the advertising worked.  Do we know how many people attended?

I'm told a lot of those new people were buying volumes of cheap stuff, and not just key-hunting, which is very good news.  Ottawa is a poorly developed comic market, so we need a few years of sustained sales to grow people's appetites for bigger books and not just new hotness.  The local stores have little vintage stock, and have punishing pricing on everything else, which stifles readers and run collectors.  These conventions should help if they bring serious dealers to town.

Thanks for your feedback. It's funny because as a vendor, I find the Ottawa market tough to sell to, unless you're discounting stuff, regardless of whether or not your books are fairly priced. I'd say that 80% of buyers try to bargain there (speaking from my experience over the years of course). It's definitely a different market from my home town crowd in Montreal.

I had a great time and was very pleased with my sales. I also bought stuff, which I RARELY do at a show. A couple of folks were dumping stuff you couldn't pass up as a vendor. And as you said, lots of people were filling runs with cheap stuff, which is AWESOME for the hobby, but I brought a limited inventory (7-8 longboxes), so I focused on keys, classic cover,s etc. Most people were NOT shopping for that so it took me at least 2 hours before I even made a sale, despite the relatively large crowd... :whatthe: I must admit that I was staring at a loss for the day, but suddenly I made all kinds of sales during the last 2 hours. In fact, I doubled my sales target. :headbang:

Just a double thumbs up event all around. #BackToTheBasics for the local comic cons. 

See you at the next one!