• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

new batch of CGC books - no inner well :(
3 3

92 posts in this topic

Ive gotten these "lid to lid" inner holders before in addition to the "inner well"  holders many times, for years. Ive called and asked if I can get all my comics with the lid to lid holders, as I like the comic doesnt contact the edges, like they do with the inner well sometimes. They told me it depends on the comic being graded. The inner well does keep the comic more secure but Ive had some of my books get a little damage if they bump against the edge of the inner well. Would be great to get the best of both worlds.

17 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

just received a new batch of books from CGC, half of them aren't in an inner well (pics in a bit)

anyone else getting books back like this?

Hey buddy,

To answer your question, with the exception of the Creep Engine Case, CGC has been been using two types of inner liners for years and years: A) the Tray (Well) Design, and B) the Sleeve Design.  Each design has its pros and cons, especially with regard to Shaken Comic Syndrome (SCS).

And yes, the current case (Frankenholder) utilizes both designs as well.  Look around on eBay and you'll see examples of each.

Examples

Sleeve Design - This is your New Mutants #98 CGC 9.2 (Graded 10/5/18)

Certification Information

Certification #: 1996957003
Title: New Mutants
Issue: 98
Issue Date: 2/91
Issue Year: 1991
Publisher: Marvel Comics
Grade: 9.2
Total Graded At: 1627
Page Quality: WHITE
Grade Date: 10/05/2018
Category: Modern
Art Comments: Rob Liefeld & Fabian Nicieza story
Rob Liefeld cover & art
Key Comments: 1st appearance of Deadpool (Wade Wilson)
Gideon & Copycat (Vanessa Carlysle) as
Domino. Rictor leaves the New Mutants.

RRxrDoJ.jpg

pQ3s69T.jpg

Tray (Well) Design - This is a New Mutants #98 CGC 9.6 from eBay (Graded 9/18/18)

eBay Link - (Item 332841668489)

Certification Information

Certification #: 0360707015
Title: New Mutants
Issue: 98
Issue Date: 2/91
Issue Year: 1991
Publisher: Marvel Comics
Grade: 9.6
Total Graded At: 4316
Page Quality: OFF-WHITE TO WHITE
Grade Date: 09/18/2018
Category: Modern
Art Comments: Rob Liefeld & Fabian Nicieza story
Rob Liefeld cover & art
Key Comments: 1st appearance of Deadpool (Wade Wilson)
Gideon & Copycat (Vanessa Carlysle) as
Domino. Rictor leaves the New Mutants.
Grader Notes: None Available

dIqjvNH.jpg

2hkXcGG.jpg

18 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

that saga looks to be ready to slip out the bottom

Those are the usual, old - school 'modern' wells that CGC has always used.

Although it looks like several books are moving in the wells. I had one that I delivered to someone and realized that the book was sitting on the bottom of the inner well. Thankfully there wasn't any damage but this is something CGC should look into.

5 hours ago, minisink warrior said:

I just spoke with Dean at CGC. He said no changes were made, however, he will pass along this info. I asked him if they could address this situation on the boards and directed him to view this thread.

If there is slightly more room between the outer clam shells than the old cases (resulting in slightly less pressure on the inner well and book) this might be the problem.

Another thought is if there is more space around the book than there used to be (meaning the welds are further apart) and therefore less pressure on the book.

3rd thought is if the material that the inner well is now made of is not as strong as the older Barex then it may not apply the same tension on the book that the Barex did.

8 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Although it looks like several books are moving in the wells. I had one that I delivered to someone and realized that the book was sitting on the bottom of the inner well. Thankfully there wasn't any damage but this is something CGC should look into.

I had a shipment last year that was damaged coming back from CGC. the bottom edge of the inner well had failed and the comics were sliding out down to the bottom of the outer case. The damage was consistent with the box of slabs being dropped from a height. It looks like the Saga issue might have his problem, but it's hard to tell.

12 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

If there is slightly more room between the outer clam shells than the old cases (resulting in slightly less pressure on the inner well and book) this might be the problem.

Another thought is if there is more space around the book than there used to be (meaning the welds are further apart) and therefore less pressure on the book.

3rd thought is if the material that the inner well is now made of is not as strong as the older Barex then it may not apply the same tension on the book that the Barex did.

Seems like I remember one that looked lower in the slab in my recent sub....but it didn't look damaged and didn't move around that I could tell. I don't know what to think...

Does cgc offer a free reholder for such?

I've had a comic that moved in the slab but I could tell when I moved the slab...., but it was in a 2nd gen case not this 3rd gen new case....

Edited by ADAMANTIUM
Spelling

11 minutes ago, mrwoogieman said:

I had a shipment last year that was damaged coming back from CGC. the bottom edge of the inner well had failed and the comics were sliding out down to the bottom of the outer case. The damage was consistent with the box of slabs being dropped from a height. It looks like the Saga issue might have his problem, but it's hard to tell.

I had your same issue on a signed book it hurts my heart

27 minutes ago, mrwoogieman said:
37 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

I could be wrong, but based on Janet's pics the Saga just looks like it was poorly encapsulated.  The weld looks to be present and intact, just too low.

But what Woogie is describing happens quite frequently.  Here's an example:

Before Shipping

53SLGZK.jpg

After Shipping

8RkPhGH.jpg

bs82NTn.jpg

PiS80f8.jpg

vVZ4L9S.jpg

Inner well issues or not - I have always felt CGC'S boxing and lack of adequate padding needs much improvement.  I only send in subs of 25 so it may be better on smaller subs.  It has been about six months since I received a sub so maybe some improvement but I have had cracked slabs on more than a few occasions. 

18 minutes ago, Ditch Fahrenheit said:

I could be wrong, but based on Janet's pics the Saga just looks like it was poorly encapsulated.  The weld looks to be present and intact, just too low.

But what Woogie is describing happens quite frequently.  Here's an example:

Before Shipping

53SLGZK.jpg

After Shipping

8RkPhGH.jpg

bs82NTn.jpg

PiS80f8.jpg

vVZ4L9S.jpg

Thanks for this  :foryou:

Because mind didn't have the over hang bends or whatchamacallit it still looked secure (thumbsu just lower if that makes sense...