• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

new batch of CGC books - no inner well :(
3 3

92 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:
39 minutes ago, Ditch Fahrenheit said:

I could be wrong, but based on Janet's pics the Saga just looks like it was poorly encapsulated.  The weld looks to be present and intact, just too low.

But what Woogie is describing happens quite frequently.  Here's an example:

Before Shipping

53SLGZK.jpg

After Shipping

8RkPhGH.jpg

bs82NTn.jpg

PiS80f8.jpg

vVZ4L9S.jpg

Thanks for this  :foryou:

Because mind didn't have the over hang bends or whatchamacallit it still looked secure (thumbsu just lower if that makes sense...

Sure.  :)

Sometimes Shaken Comic Syndrome (SCS) can cause the book to completely blowout the weld, and the book will sink to the bottom of the case.  But usually it's pretty evident when that happens.

Here's an example.  This happens to be a magazine, but the comic book version of this kind of SCS looks the same.

wpACYKB.jpg

12 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

What's about Golden, Silver and Bronze age comic books?  All I see are Modern here so far.

You'll have to be more specific.  I have no idea what you are asking.  SCS can damage ANY encapsulated book from ANY third party grader, regardless of the era.

13 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

That magazine is an old news because the customer yelled at CGC for too slow so CGC rushed them for him so he paid his price.

I'm fully aware of what happened.  I'm sure that wasn't CGC's first irate customer; in fact, I'd bet dollars to donuts that it wasn't even their first irate customer of the day.  If you are insinuating that CGC did a poor job of encapsulation because they were rushed, or worse yet did it out of spite because the customer yelled at them on the phone, I would respectfully disagree with you.  CGC wouldn't stay in business very long if they conducted business that way.

1 hour ago, Ditch Fahrenheit said:

You'll have to be more specific.  I have no idea what you are asking.  SCS can damage ANY encapsulated book from ANY third party grader, regardless of the era.

I'm fully aware of what happened.  I'm sure that wasn't CGC's first irate customer; in fact, I'd bet dollars to donuts that it wasn't even their first irate customer of the day.  If you are insinuating that CGC did a poor job of encapsulation because they were rushed, or worse yet did it out of spite because the customer yelled at them on the phone, I would respectfully disagree with you.  CGC wouldn't stay in business very long if they conducted business that way.

I am ok that you disagreed with me. That is good that you are aware of the circumstance. I think it was one incident but CGC is always willing to correct or fix their mistakes at no charge. I never have a problem with their service - it's still outstanding for a long time. I am still loyal to the company.

It's odd that customer irritated/hassled them and eventually received some damaged magazines inside the encapsulation cases. Was it coincidence or conscience?

Was he banned for being harassment or abusive?

1 hour ago, Ditch Fahrenheit said:

I have a better idea. Which service did they use? USPS, UPS or FedEx?  Which company did they damage the packages mostly?  I think UPS damages mostly. At one point, the box was torn open then was taped after I picked it up at UPS hub few years ago. I opened and checked one book - Hulk #181 CGC 7.5. It survived. It's rare to see the damaged boxes were delivered by USPS or FedEx to my home.

FedEx will deliver my books to my home this Monday. See what happens. 

I work for UPS and have seen people are roughing on the packages. Right now, it is in a high seasonal toward Xmas. My hourly schedule is now expanding due to the high volume. I expected to see more damaged boxes.

Maybe, 25 books in one package is damage-prone. Mine is only 6 books. Wait and see. I will tell you when I receive my books.

Edited by JollyComics

1 hour ago, JollyComics said:
2 hours ago, Ditch Fahrenheit said:

I am ok that you disagreed with me. That is good that you are aware of the circumstance. I think it was one incident but CGC is always willing to correct or fix their mistakes at no charge. I never have a problem with their service - it's still outstanding for a long time. I am still loyal to the company.

It's odd that customer irritated/hassled them and eventually received some damaged magazines inside the encapsulation cases. Was it coincidence or conscience?

Was he banned for being harassment or abusive?

I'm a man of science, so I don't believe in fate. 

But sometimes it can be fun to believe that Karma comes back around and bites people that probably deserve it. :)

13 minutes ago, Octavius said:

Just out of interest, what is a "Creep Engine case"?

The newest case during the period of April to June 2016...

The comic would crinkle/ripple...

I don't have pic examples, but it was when the newest slabs came out or got introduced 

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

The newest case during the period of April to June 2016...

The comic would crinkle/ripple...

I don't have pic examples, but it was when the newest slabs came out or got introduced 

I still have one somewhere I wonder how it’s doing 

1 hour ago, kimik said:

Here is what it looks like. The bottom left corner on the back cover is trashed now.

1843401835_cgcThundecats1C.thumb.jpg.05367745b39aff3b38d7f94d0bb14f27.jpg

2144945377_cgcThundecats1Cbc.thumb.jpg.0a15da56b45ebff007638a75df8703bf.jpg

Thanks for posting this Kimik.  This is exactly what we were talking about earlier.

This is an example of Shaken Comic Syndrome (SCS) with the Tray (Well) design.  In this instance, an impact force has caused the book to completely break the bottom weld and fall to the bottom of the case.  This has caused damage to both the bottom of the book as well as the right edge (in two large areas).

Here is what this book would normally look like without the damage.

t5lxR9N.jpg

Lhgzp6j.jpg

Edited by Ditch Fahrenheit
Forgot to include front cover pic.

As mentioned, I received a shipment of 25 slabs today (Bronze, Copper and a few Modern). All of the slabs were the standard version with the inner well; none of them were missing the well like the Saga @jsilverjanet received. For those interested in such things:

The shipment was delivered by FedEx. Normal wear to the outside of the shipping carton (it must weigh 40 lbs) and zero damage to the slabs inside. None of the comics showed signs of SCS.

Newton Rings: On a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being perfect and 10 resembling the Exxon Valdez disaster I'd say the majority of the slabs are in the 3-4 range. They all have Newton Rings to some extent, usually in a 1-2 inch area in the dead center of the slab, but only one is bad enough that I will be contacting CGC to request having it reholdered (it's a definite 10 on the Newton Ring scale).

The cases they are using now are still nowhere near perfect but appear to be an improvement over some other recent arrivals. One thing that puzzles me: I don't think I've ever noticed a Newton Ring on the back of a slab, only the front face. Can't they just modify the slabs so the contacting plastics issue causing the Newton Ring effect occurs on the opposite side? (shrug)

5 hours ago, Ditch Fahrenheit said:

I could be wrong, but based on Janet's pics the Saga just looks like it was poorly encapsulated.  The weld looks to be present and intact, just too low.

But what Woogie is describing happens quite frequently.  Here's an example:

Before Shipping

53SLGZK.jpg

After Shipping

8RkPhGH.jpg

So if I ship slabs to other people, the usps/ups removes spine rolls / stacking creases?

hm

2 hours ago, Ditch Fahrenheit said:

Thanks for posting this Kimik.  This is exactly what we were talking about earlier.

This is an example of Shaken Comic Syndrome (SCS) with the Tray (Well) design.  In this instance, an impact force has caused the book to completely break the bottom weld and fall to the bottom of the case.  This has caused damage to both the bottom of the book as well as the right edge (in two large areas).

Here is what this book would normally look like without the damage.

My book looks like it was an issue with the encapsulation process, not SCS, based on the damage to the bottom corner on the back cover. SCS would not cause the back cover and several interior pages to be folded up and pinned like that. It was a botched encapsulation job.