• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

new batch of CGC books - no inner well :(
3 3

92 posts in this topic

Seriously, CGC, get your act together.

My concern used to be getting the books to CGC safely so that they'd arrive at their HQ in the same condition as they were in my home. Until they started tinkering with the cases a couple of years ago, it didn't really occur to me that the books might come back in worse shape BECAUSE OF THE HOLDERS. This stuff is ridiculous. I still have a small stack of stuff I'd like to sub, but until they can offer some reassurance, or hell, at least an ACKNOWLEDGMENT that they still don't have their case situation 100% ironed out, I guess I'll be sitting on them.

(Side note; is sitting on a stack of books considered "pressing"? hm )

Edited by F For Fake

Here's my contribution. I got a shipment of 13 Moderns back last week. 4 came with the inner tray and 9 were in the sleeve with no tray. There were no issues with the 4 books slabbed in the inner tray. The 9 books in the sleeves are all off-center a bit with the top left and bottom right corners shifted more toward the edges; basically like the Power Girl example but in the opposite direction. Thankfully I did not see any damage to the books and the sleeves/books have not dropped below the presentation area of the cases.  

45 minutes ago, MetaHuman said:

Here's my contribution. I got a shipment of 13 Moderns back last week. 4 came with the inner tray and 9 were in the sleeve with no tray. There were no issues with the 4 books slabbed in the inner tray. The 9 books in the sleeves are all off-center a bit with the top left and bottom right corners shifted more toward the edges; basically like the Power Girl example but in the opposite direction. Thankfully I did not see any damage to the books and the sleeves/books have not dropped below the presentation area of the cases.  

Any difference in thickness of the books?

14 books back 2 days ago, all 13 had the inner tray.  One had obviously shifted in transit for some reason, impacting the top corner heavily and causing the corner piece to detach.  This was the only book in the box to do this, the other 13 are nicely squared in the slab.  The book is now on its way back to CGC customer service (they were great on the phone BTW)

IMG_1552.jpeg

IMG_1551.jpeg

34 minutes ago, 427Impaler said:

14 books back 2 days ago, all 13 had the inner tray.  One had obviously shifted in transit for some reason, impacting the top corner heavily and causing the corner piece to detach.  This was the only book in the box to do this, the other 13 are nicely squared in the slab.  The book is now on its way back to CGC customer service (they were great on the phone BTW)

IMG_1552.jpeg

IMG_1551.jpeg

What's the grade?

31 minutes ago, 427Impaler said:

5.5, the only book in the bunch I felt was undergraded .  

From a fellow HOF fan you have my sympathies, sounds like it was a sweet #16 until SCS struck.

What happens if you send it back and CGC regrades it as a lower grade (i.e. 4.5) due to the damage? Do they credit you the fair market value difference between the grades? 

20 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

From a fellow HOF fan you have my sympathies, sounds like it was a sweet #16 until SCS struck.

What happens if you send it back and CGC regrades it as a lower grade (i.e. 4.5) due to the damage? Do they credit you the fair market value difference between the grades? 

That's the big question, initial response was "Indicate the issue on the re-holder form and we will try our very best to correct the problem", I indicated it may be difficult to correct a detached piece.  It is on it's way there so I will follow up when I know it is in their hands to see.

24 minutes ago, Ovrclck said:

How does this get passed Quality Control beats me. hm

No damage before it went to CGC..

IMG_86401_01.thumb.jpg.dfa4f624687bac16e17c4d0a0d68cd8a.jpg

shazam1.thumb.jpg.d7530e41be3c2472add8b3642d2f91d1.jpg

The dreaded SCS corner bends/crunches.  Frustrating to see so many ongoing damage issues with the new slab! :pullhair: 

Edited by mosconi

20 minutes ago, Ovrclck said:

How does this get passed Quality Control beats me. hm

No damage before it went to CGC..

IMG_86401_01.thumb.jpg.dfa4f624687bac16e17c4d0a0d68cd8a.jpg

shazam1.thumb.jpg.d7530e41be3c2472add8b3642d2f91d1.jpg

IMG_20181008_174232.jpg

The fact that it received a 9.4 grade indicates to me the damage occurred after it left CGC's hands. Most likely Shaken Comic Syndrome (allowing the slab to bounce back and forth in the shipping carton). The same thing happened to me on a recent shipment where 4 slabs were shipped to me horizontal. On larger shipments where the slabs are shipped upright (vertical) I've never had a problem.

Contact CGC and they will most likely request you return the comic so they can inspect the damage.

1 hour ago, mosconi said:

The dreaded SCS corner bends/crunches.  Frustrating to see so many ongoing damage issues with the new slab! :pullhair: 

Can't believe SCS can happen even to bran spankin new slabs. Very frustrating!

1 hour ago, Black_Adam said:

The fact that it received a 9.4 grade indicates to me the damage occurred after it left CGC's hands. Most likely Shaken Comic Syndrome (allowing the slab to bounce back and forth in the shipping carton). The same thing happened to me on a recent shipment where 4 slabs were shipped to me horizontal. On larger shipments where the slabs are shipped upright (vertical) I've never had a problem.

Contact CGC and they will most likely request you return the comic so they can inspect the damage.

You're right. This was shipped horizontally with one other slab :facepalm: 

They're going to give it a free press, we will see :wishluck:

I'm very sorry this happened to all of you.  :(

One of the things I noticed with the Shazam #1 is there appears to be a slight overhang to the bottom right edge of the front cover. In my view, this would be the weakest point on the book. From what I can see, the book should have been reinforced with at least one wedge to help prevent it from shifting in the holder.

In the case of the Thundercats #1, it would appear that the book actually came out of the well and fell to the bottom of the holder. :whatthe:

I'm shocked and saddened by these examples, and I sincerely hope you're all properly compensated...

On 10/18/2018 at 3:19 PM, DavidTheDavid said:

After people had been posting improved results about Newton rings, I was closer to sending in some books. Now, I'm not. 

There is absolutely nothing new going on here. All of the posted examples are examples of SCS. This has been going on for the entire existence of CGC(shrug)

On 10/17/2018 at 8:19 PM, Black_Adam said:

As mentioned, I received a shipment of 25 slabs today (Bronze, Copper and a few Modern). All of the slabs were the standard version with the inner well; none of them were missing the well like the Saga @jsilverjanet received. For those interested in such things:

The shipment was delivered by FedEx. Normal wear to the outside of the shipping carton (it must weigh 40 lbs) and zero damage to the slabs inside. None of the comics showed signs of SCS.

Newton Rings: On a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being perfect and 10 resembling the Exxon Valdez disaster I'd say the majority of the slabs are in the 3-4 range. They all have Newton Rings to some extent, usually in a 1-2 inch area in the dead center of the slab, but only one is bad enough that I will be contacting CGC to request having it reholdered (it's a definite 10 on the Newton Ring scale).

The cases they are using now are still nowhere near perfect but appear to be an improvement over some other recent arrivals. One thing that puzzles me: I don't think I've ever noticed a Newton Ring on the back of a slab, only the front face. Can't they just modify the slabs so the contacting plastics issue causing the Newton Ring effect occurs on the opposite side? (shrug)

That Saga is not missing the well. It has a well. It's just the well design that does not have the notched corners. This well design has been in use for years (mainly with copper and modern books). If you own any copper or moderns, you probably have that well design in your collection and just hadn't noticed. I'm surprised that jsilverjanet isn't aware of that design... or he was just passive aggressively pointing out SCS by pretending to not be aware of a well design that has been in use for years.