• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

new batch of CGC books - no inner well :(
3 3

92 posts in this topic

45 minutes ago, LordRahl said:

There is absolutely nothing new going on here. All of the posted examples are examples of SCS. This has been going on for the entire existence of CGC(shrug)

Weren't the new slabs designed to eliminate the SCS issue? Or is it something that will always exist, no matter what type of slab is created?  This is why I do not intend to re-holder any high dollar CGC slabs, why take the risk of your books coming back from CGC with damaged corners, edges, etc. from shipment mishandling or poor packaging :facepalm:

1 hour ago, LordRahl said:

That Saga is not missing the well. It has a well. It's just the well design that does not have the notched corners. This well design has been in use for years (mainly with copper and modern books). If you own any copper or moderns, you probably have that well design in your collection and just hadn't noticed. I'm surprised that jsilverjanet isn't aware of that design... or he was just passive aggressively pointing out SCS by pretending to not be aware of a well design that has been in use for years.  

I’ve subbed copper/moderns this year and this was the first batch I’ve received like this. I’m about 400 books in for the year but thanks for your input 

Edited by jsilverjanet

On 10/22/2018 at 3:38 PM, mosconi said:

Weren't the new slabs designed to eliminate the SCS issue? Or is it something that will always exist, no matter what type of slab is created?  This is why I do not intend to re-holder any high dollar CGC slabs, why take the risk of your books coming back from CGC with damaged corners, edges, etc. from shipment mishandling or poor packaging :facepalm:

When the new "crystal clear" holders were rolled out, the original design would have greatly reduced instances of SCS. Unfortunately that design led to others issues and that plan was scrapped. CGC went to the current "hybrid" holders which combines the inner well of the last generation holders with the "crystal clear" display. Unfortunately, I think this design is also more prone to SCS than any of the previous designs.

This is the most informative thread that I really needed to read.  Two current documented inner well methods. BUBBLE and SLOT. Comic can bust out seam of both inner well methods as documented in this thread do to SCS but probably more common in bubble method.

Comic will generally shift more easy (not busting through seam) in Bubble method causing non-centered comic and edge damage. Maybe they are using less pressure in the bubble method due to wave issues or whatever that last debacle was.

The most important thing should be to secure the comic in a non-shifting method for protection and display. Its so discouraging to read about these issues. I have a hard time sending comics to be graded with even the slightest chance of damage.  There are some serious serious flaws here. 

This thread really helps in any future CGC graded comic purchasing I may make so thank you.

• Administrator
On 10/16/2018 at 10:38 PM, jsilverjanet said:

just received a new batch of books from CGC, half of them aren't in an inner well (pics in a bit)

anyone else getting books back like this?

We do NOT send books out without an inner-well.

• Administrator
On 10/16/2018 at 10:52 PM, jsilverjanet said:

1016 001.jpg

1016 002.jpg

1016 003.jpg

1016 004.jpg

1016 005.jpg

1016 006.jpg

It looks like the seal on the inner well didn't hold.  Please email me and I will take care of getting these reholdered for you immediately:  brittany@cgccomics.com

1 minute ago, DjMartini said:

Looks like cool heads prevail and Customer Service comes to the rescue! 

Great service from Brittany (as always) and the team!

I know right :foryou: makes me want to do a quick check of all my slabs lol I'm a bit lazy at the moment ha.