• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dallas Fantasy Fair Comic Con -- November 24-25, 2018 Steranko Brunner Royer Bisley

21 posts in this topic

Mysterio where you there today? If so, sorry I missed you.

I got to meet Jim Steranko today, what an awesomely fascinating guy. Took time to talk to every fan and was extremely gracious. I encourage every comic book fan to get out and meet him if you get a chance he does not disappoint.  Plus, he has arguably the greatest signature in comics and maybe in history.

Like Mysterio said it was a small show but big on guests and there were some nice books in the room. 

12 hours ago, spideyfan68 said:

Mysterio where you there today? If so, sorry I missed you.

I got to meet Jim Steranko today, what an awesomely fascinating guy. Took time to talk to every fan and was extremely gracious. I encourage every comic book fan to get out and meet him if you get a chance he does not disappoint.  Plus, he has arguably the greatest signature in comics and maybe in history.

Like Mysterio said it was a small show but big on guests and there were some nice books in the room. 

I was there with my brother for about 90 minutes Saturday and then Sunday morning until about 10:30. We mainly went so he could get a couple of Steranko signatures, but we also wanted to check out the show. Word was that only about 200 tickets were sold. Unfortunately the crowd looked like that was accurate. There was an amazing guest list, and great books in the room, but with that small of a crowd I’d be surprised to see another of these shows. I can’t imagine that too many people, including the promoter, made much money from that thin crowd. 

Edited by mysterio

2 hours ago, mysterio said:

I was there with my brother for about 90 minutes Saturday and then Sunday morning until about 10:30. We mainly went so he could get a couple of Steranko signatures, but we also wanted to check out the show. Word was that only about 200 tickets were sold. Unfortunately the crowd looked like that was accurate. There was an amazing guest list, and great books in the room, but with that small of a crowd I’d be surprised to see another of these shows. I can’t imagine that too many people, including the promoter, made much money from that thin crowd. 

That really sucks to have those kind of books in the room and indeed a great guest list.  Do you feel that part of the problem might be the saturation of shows in Dallas these days?

This was a tough weekend for any show -- especially a big one. You're competing with post-Thanksgiving shopping, travel, and fatigue, along with all the other shows that are happening.

6 hours ago, SSkufan said:

That really sucks to have those kind of books in the room and indeed a great guest list.  Do you feel that part of the problem might be the saturation of shows in Dallas these days?

See below.

5 hours ago, RCheli said:

This was a tough weekend for any show -- especially a big one. You're competing with post-Thanksgiving shopping, travel, and fatigue, along with all the other shows that are happening.

Can't argue with any of that. Plus there had been a show in the same building a week prior. Plus the promoter may not have advertised as well as they could have. But yes, I think saturation has set into the DFW market a bit. I read on Facebook where someone had counted 48 conventions in the DFW area this year. Maybe not all of them were strict comic shows, but even if half would overlap with comic fandom you can see how budgets could be stretched awfully thin.

12 hours ago, mysterio said:

I must have just missed you. I was hoping to hear Saturday was slammed. Sunday was pretty sparse. On the good side I did hear Steranko's assistant say they did very well Saturday  and couldn't believe the response he received. I think he said it had been 5 years since he was in Texas.  

Maybe if this show was advertised better (was it Facebook only?) and held in late spring the turnout would be better. I'm hoping they try it again, especially if they can deliver the kind of lineup they had last weekend. 

1 hour ago, spideyfan68 said:

I must have just missed you. I was hoping to hear Saturday was slammed. Sunday was pretty sparse. On the good side I did hear Steranko's assistant say they did very well Saturday  and couldn't believe the response he received. I think he said it had been 5 years since he was in Texas.  

Maybe if this show was advertised better (was it Facebook only?) and held in late spring the turnout would be better. I'm hoping they try it again, especially if they can deliver the kind of lineup they had last weekend. 

Saturday was also quite sparse. It looked like the majority of the attendees lined up for Steranko, and I’m glad he did well. Five years sounds about right for his last appearance in Dallas. 

I really wanted to go to this. I had tickets for my wife and I to go but with the holiday and having to drive back to Dallas from LA which was a 3.5 hr drive. We just didnt want to leave out that early on sunday when we still had to make it to the airport for them to fly out. We choose to relax at home for a little bit longer before we headed out to dallas. 

I think promoters at all levels need to start looking at the convention scene as a whole to see what's happening.

I live in Philly, and the number of shows within 2 hours of me is astounding. They range from small VFW-style marketplaces to the big multi-day extravaganzas, but I could go to (or set up at) a show every weekend if I wanted.

Now population density is crazy here -- check out this map to see -- so the area can support it mostly, but I've seen that sales and attendance have gone down because of frequency. And while it's not the end of the world when you have a crummy sales day when your cost is $60 for an 8-foot table, it is when the booth is going into the hundreds and thousands of dollars.

Also, this show has no website (just a Facebook page), no information on parking, no times for when it's open, no information on dealer tables... It's sort of a cluster@#$#. 

I saw a post on Facebook that the promoter is looking to grow the show long term like the Oafcon model. I guess we’ll see if that’ll work. I liked the vibe of the show a lot, I’m just not sure that it needs to be in a large convention center space if this is the type of show the promoter is aiming for. I do think there would be room for a show like this in the area, as the typical con in the area won’t always hit the sweet spot for an advanced collector. 

Edited by mysterio

1 hour ago, mysterio said:

I saw a post on Facebook that the promoter is looking to grow the show long term like the Oafcon model. I guess we’ll see if that’ll work. I liked the vibe of the show a lot, I’m just not sure that it needs to be in a large convention center space if this is the type of show the promoter is aiming for. I do think there would be room for a show like this in the area, as the typical con in the area won’t always hit the sweet spot for an advanced collector. 

Saw the wall pic you posted.  Were there a lot of GA books there?

59 minutes ago, telerites said:

Saw the wall pic you posted.  Were there a lot of GA books there?

More than at many past shows in Irving, with a few dealers I hadn’t seen there previously. Assuming they can be attracted back it’s great to see that material.