• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Green qualified to blue?

9 posts in this topic

It depends on the condition that merited the green label.  I once showed Matt Nelson (before he worked at CGC) a Silver Age comic that had been given a green label with the notation 'staples cleaned', and asked him if he thought it was accurate.  He opened the book at the centerfold and pushed down on the staple ends, then gave it back to me and recommended I resubmit it.  The book was then given a blue label.

CGC isn't infallible.  Still, if your comic was given a green label over a cut coupon or a popped staple or another permanent defect, there's no blue label in its future.

Edited by namisgr

I had Stan Lee sign a book without realizing that I needed a Cgc witness. Submitted it and it came back green labeled 9.8 with the note “Stan lee written on cover”. I’ve heard that you can ask for it to be blue labeled instead of green labeled upon request. But I didn’t know this at the time. Wondering what would happen if I resubmitted it and asked.

Considering that writing on the cover, an unverified signature, would be a noticeable defect. It shouldn't ever receive a 9.8 from CGC unless it was previously a 10 Gem Mint.

Edit: You could always send it into PGX for a 9.8 Signature label. :roflmao:

Edited by TwoPiece

1 hour ago, Marvelchad said:

I had Stan Lee sign a book without realizing that I needed a Cgc witness. Submitted it and it came back green labeled 9.8 with the note “Stan lee written on cover”. I’ve heard that you can ask for it to be blue labeled instead of green labeled upon request. But I didn’t know this at the time. Wondering what would happen if I resubmitted it and asked.

You can ask for a blue label but it is going to take a big hit on the grade. I really don't think there is an easy way out of this situation. Chalk it up to a lesson learned the hard way.

Don't pay for a re-grade, just enjoy your book and the memories.  YOU know its real, you shouldn't enjoy it any less.

On the other hand, if you were doing it purely as a financial activity, you lost money because you didn't do the work to prepare properly.  It happens.  Learn and move on.