• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Fantasy 15 grade bump possible or not ?

11 posts in this topic

I sent this book in for grading a few months back. Because of its condition I didn’t press the book. I did’t think it would look good being nice and flat with those aging flaws. My question is this .... with the cover missing a few small pieces , is it even mathematically possible for this book to achieve a 2.0 or higher grade ?

C0028B10-FD48-4040-9AA3-EC9287CD845B.jpeg

Edited by Lamborghinikid

While there's nothing in the notes a press can fix, I guess another .2 is possible but there is risk to consider, as Wipple said. Also, I like that the whole price circle and the lower left tip of the A are on the front cover, not wrapped around to the back a bit, as is often the case. Just a thought. While this has that bit of back cover edge showing in the front, it seems this book is more often wrapped a bit too far to the back, folding over left edge front cover elements.  Congrats!

2 hours ago, Readcomix said:

While there's nothing in the notes a press can fix, I guess another .2 is possible but there is risk to consider, as Wipple said. Also, I like that the whole price circle and the lower left tip of the A are on the front cover, not wrapped around to the back a bit, as is often the case. Just a thought. While this has that bit of back cover edge showing in the front, it seems this book is more often wrapped a bit too far to the back, folding over left edge front cover elements.  Congrats!

I have never noticed that style wrap vs the others. I did a google search and I see what you mean. One thing that you and Wipple both mentioned is possible damage to the book. I truly am not that knowledgeable about the CCS pressing process. What type of damage do you think could occur ? Do believe the damage could occur because of the wear that the book already has ? Thanks everyone for their time and expertise. 

This book looks so fragile I would not risk a press. As mentioned above, if that second staple pops, you now have a detached cover and a lower grade. There isn't one thing in the notes that can be improved with a press. Also, you are correct that it would NOT look good being overly flat with all those flaws. 

8 hours ago, Jim M said:

I'd worry about a press popping the second staple. Not worth the risk IMO. 

This.

8 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

This book looks so fragile I would not risk a press. As mentioned above, if that second staple pops, you now have a detached cover and a lower grade. There isn't one thing in the notes that can be improved with a press. Also, you are correct that it would NOT look good being overly flat with all those flaws. 

And this.

Don't do it.

Sold ! I will leave it as is and enjoy it the same. I have a hulk that i had graded that’s in the same boat as this book except both staples are attatched. However , it is missing a larger piece out of the cover. I would love to get everyone’s opinion on it as well to see if a 2.0 can be achieved. I will post it in a new thread when i get home. As always , thanks for your opinions.