• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The only comic that ever scared me.
2 2

50 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, bronze_rules said:

You ever have a book so scary or blasphemous, that you threw it away? Go figure, but this was it for me.

I found b&w magazine horror to be considerably scarier than comic format.

I hesitated to state mine, as some may find it weak sauce, but this confession is exactly what happened to me.... I bought a reader from the LCS of MS #5 (first Ghost Rider), if I had not read it lol and just kept it as a key, I'd have been fine.

Where he invites demonic activity to control him was a little too much. I've been brought up in church, but more importantly, know that kind of stuff is real. :eek: "it" however happens all the time in comics in one way on another, and I do not know why MS#5 got to me so much ??? 

As I have said a few times, whatever in the Marvel stories vaguely resembled a vampire (Nightcrawler in ASM #161!), but the winner would definitely be Marvel Two-In-One #43.
The whole story and the concept of the "Entropic man" scared the death out of me… probably for some ancestral fear or atavism, I don’t know. I should re-read them.

1415787431_MarvelTwo-In-OneNo_43.thumb.jpg.c7e1c9f9e36f385159b32b91852da0c5.jpg

Edited by vaillant

On 10/17/2018 at 7:20 PM, KirbyJack said:

Captain America annual 3. I was 11 years old.

FF0128D6-5578-4585-A48F-D0C3A85E92F9.thumb.jpeg.75ae354c5cf075b75b1a3ae21023e588.jpeg

But I’m serious; it was the only time I was ever scared by a comic. I love ECs. I reread Mignola’s Hellboy every Halloween. They’re fantastic! It’s just that I read them as an adult.

I’ll admit that I used to be squeamish about vampires. So this, as a kid? It Got me.

8FE0C102-A8CA-4A72-A3A2-44ADB91D0C6B.thumb.jpeg.05b021d22f16748a82d59113b085afa5.jpeg

That's a great cover!  Just bought this from Superworld.

On 10/17/2018 at 7:20 PM, KirbyJack said:

Captain America annual 3. I was 11 years old.

FF0128D6-5578-4585-A48F-D0C3A85E92F9.thumb.jpeg.75ae354c5cf075b75b1a3ae21023e588.jpeg

But I’m serious; it was the only time I was ever scared by a comic. I love ECs. I reread Mignola’s Hellboy every Halloween. They’re fantastic! It’s just that I read them as an adult.

I’ll admit that I used to be squeamish about vampires. So this, as a kid? It Got me.

8FE0C102-A8CA-4A72-A3A2-44ADB91D0C6B.thumb.jpeg.05b021d22f16748a82d59113b085afa5.jpeg

I loved this book as a kid and even though I'm not a huge Captain America fan, this issue always stood out. It's amazing that this villain hasn't been used much as he gave Captain America a good fight. He didn't seem that impressive when he was brought back with other unknown space villains in StarBlast mini series.

On 12/12/2019 at 10:29 AM, KirbyJack said:

I was not aware of The Captive’s reappearance. Might have to hunt it up.

But that’s Kirby for you; create a cool villain and then on to the next idea! Always looking forward.

He received the name Threkker and appeared in Quasar and Starbalst

X-Men 134. What Jean Grey does to Jason Wyngarde is pretty frightening when you really think about it. Don't feel any pity for him, he deserved it.

https://panels-of-interest.tumblr.com/post/86516147790/phoenix-vs-mastermind-from-the-x-men-1963

Edited by Jeffro.

3 minutes ago, Jeffro. said:

What Jean Grey does to Jason Wyngarde is pretty frightening when you really think about it. Don't feel any pity for him, he deserved it.

https://panels-of-interest.tumblr.com/post/86516147790/phoenix-vs-mastermind-from-the-x-men-1963

The most amazing thing about that is that the experience shaved his mutton chops!!

So the scene starts with Jason Wyngarde, and it ends with Mastermind. I've always though that was one of the biggest flubs in comics.

Not exactly sure why, but the first D.C. issue of Black Magic, which featured reprints from the 50's comic of the same name. There was a story where a young man goes with the young woman he loves to meet her family. It really gave me the willies for some reason. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu