• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FS: CAPTAIN AMERICA COMICS #22 CGC 2.5. Classic WWII Timely... Closed!
1 1

13 posts in this topic

On 10/17/2018 at 10:42 PM, Point Five said:

Secure USPS Priority boxed shipping extra at cost. First 'takeit' wins, whether in the thread or via PM. Check/MO only on this item; sorry, no exceptions. Please be able to pay within a week. Thanks!

CAPTAIN AMERICA COMICS #22, CGC 2.5 Universal C/OW. Awesome WWII cover... the Cap 'storming the beaches' image has always reminded me of D-Day, though it preceded the actual event by more than a year. Spectacular art and splash pages inside. Bright flat book with vibrant colors and strong eye appeal for the grade... presents more like VG/VG+ than G+, with minimal visible cover wear. Label notes: Tape on cover & interior cover. Cover re-attached with extra staple added after manufacturing. Classic Timely pretty rarely available in any grade. 

$1200  $1100

cap22.thumb.jpg.56491eb9d08e5ef3ef3d69ae168febda.jpg

cap22back.thumb.jpg.76e2517cb042aba64688d3c1ce8c28b3.jpg

Given those are Japanese soldiers, the cover was probably meant to invoke U.S. amphibious assaults on Japanese-held islands in the Pacific.

Wasn't this cover reused on the rare Timely Captain American Annual?  Adds to the coolness factor, imo.

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

Given those are Japanese soldiers, the cover was probably meant to invoke U.S. amphibious assaults on Japanese-held islands in the Pacific.

Wasn't this cover reused on the rare Timely Captain American Annual?  Adds to the coolness factor, imo.

Battle of the Aleutian Islands up by Alaska.  These islands were the only U.S. soil the Japanese took and held, at least for a while.  Close to Alaska and Japan, kind of.  The loss of these islands combined with the earlier Japanese shelling of a refinery in California contributed to the terrified environment which led to the internment of the Japanese on the West coast and the Italians and Germans on the East coast.

Image result for because knowledge is power

Edited by Badger

12 minutes ago, Badger said:

Battle of the Aleutian Islands up by Alaska.  These islands were the only U.S. soil the Japanese took and held, at least for a while.  Close to Alaska and Japan, kind of.  The loss of these islands combined with the earlier Japanese shelling of a refinery in California contributed to the terrified environment which led to the internment of the Japanese on the West coast and the Italians and Germans on the East coast.

Image result for because knowledge is power

Is that the actual story in that issue?  I would have guessed that it was based on an assault in the Solomons or some place. hm

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

Is that the actual story in that issue?  I would have guessed that it was based on an assault in the Solomons or some place. hm

No, unfortunately, the cover has nothing to do with the contents. :(

I say Aleutians because the beach is scrub and the weather looks pretty dismal.  Solomons was Jungle all the way up to the shore in some places. The sky also has a aurora borealis look to it.

This is the Aleutians

Image result for aleutian islands battle

This is the Solomons

Image result for solomon islands battle

Edited by Badger

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 9:07 PM, Badger said:

No, unfortunately, the cover has nothing to do with the contents. :(

I say Aleutians because the beach is scrub and the weather looks pretty dismal.  Solomons was Jungle all the way up to the shore in some places. The sky also has a aurora borealis look to it.

This is the Aleutians

Image result for aleutian islands battle

This is the Solomons

Image result for solomon islands battle

I disagree.  The US troops already occupied the Aleutian Islands.  I think it relates better to the Solomon Island offensive.  "The Allies, to defend their communication and supply lines in the South Pacific, supported a counteroffensive in New Guinea, isolated the Japanese base at Rabaul, and counterattacked the Japanese in the Solomons with landings on Guadalcanal (see Guadalcanal Campaign) and small neighboring islands on 7 August 1942."

and yes the cover was used with the annual but the content was Cap 18 and MM 42? in black and white. 

Edited by BB-Gun

1 hour ago, BB-Gun said:

I disagree.  The US troops already occupied the Aleutian Islands.  I think it relates better to the Solomon Island offensive.  "The Allies, to defend their communication and supply lines in the South Pacific, supported a counteroffensive in New Guinea, isolated the Japanese base at Rabaul, and counterattacked the Japanese in the Solomons with landings on Guadalcanal (see Guadalcanal Campaign) and small neighboring islands on 7 August 1942."

and yes the cover was used with the annual but the content was Cap 18 and MM 42? in black in white. 

Sorry, but, no. The Japanese took the Islands in June of 1942.  The U.S. did not start the battle to reclaim until May of 43.  In the meantime, the Aleutians were at the top of everybody's fear list in the U.S.  I just searched for any area in the Solomans that look like the beach on the cover with no luck.  Yet every picture I've found of the Aleutians looks exactly like the cover.

Drive the Japs from the Aleutians

I like to think Captain America was helping with the landing in Guadalcanal and not up near Alaska.  The attack in the Aleutians was supposed to be a diversion while the Japanese invaded Midway.  You may be right but there is very little information to support either argument.  Was there a text story that related to the cover?

Hey guys, just got back from a trip. Thanks for the discussion and interest. A deal was in place for this book, but buyer was unable to pay by check/MO so it is still available.

Final price drop to $1000 CLOSED . Thanks again!

Edited by Point Five

Man, this is a lot of book for 1k.

Just as an FYI, a restored 1.0 went for $475 in May of '17.

Certification #: 1216891003
Title: Captain America Comics
Issue: 22
Issue Date: 1/43
Issue Year: 1943
Publisher: Timely Comics
Grade: 1.0
Page Quality: LIGHT TAN TO OFF-WHITE
Label Text: Restoration includes: color touch, pieces added. (Tape on cover, interior cover & centerfold.) Spine of cover completelt split & re-attached with tape.
Grade Date: 01/20/2017
Category: C-3
Art Comments: Syd Shores cover
Harry Sahle, Al Avison,
Don Rico and Al Gabriele art
Key Comments: Human Torch backup story.
Hitler appearance.

This one seems like a no-brainer, or it should be.

1 hour ago, entalmighty1 said:

Man, this is a lot of book for 1k.

Just as an FYI, a restored 1.0 went for $475 in May of '17.

Certification #: 1216891003
Title: Captain America Comics
Issue: 22
Issue Date: 1/43
Issue Year: 1943
Publisher: Timely Comics
Grade: 1.0
Page Quality: LIGHT TAN TO OFF-WHITE
Label Text: Restoration includes: color touch, pieces added. (Tape on cover, interior cover & centerfold.) Spine of cover completelt split & re-attached with tape.
Grade Date: 01/20/2017
Category: C-3
Art Comments: Syd Shores cover
Harry Sahle, Al Avison,
Don Rico and Al Gabriele art
Key Comments: Human Torch backup story.
Hitler appearance.

This one seems like a no-brainer, or it should be.

Yep, was pricing low for a quick sale, or thought I was, but sometimes the timing isn't there. I think it will do well at auction. Thanks for the data!