• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your collection?
47 47

60,964 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

2nd appearance of blade!!! White pages :banana:

The label is so old... How old is it? The label is so old that CGC now labels this book as the 2nd appearance :shy:

20180816_142554.jpg

That's definitely an old label, but a really old label has the CGC balance scales in black and white on the left. :foryou:

0015222001b_1200.jpg

4 minutes ago, valiantman said:

That's definitely an old label, but a really old label has the CGC balance scales in black and white on the left. :foryou:

Would an even older label have labeled it as modern? I guess not, as it is 1973?

Edited by ADAMANTIUM
clarify.... :)

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:

Would have even older book labeled it as modern? I guess not, as it is 1973?

No, it was always a blue label.  Books dated 1975-2001 might exist with a red CGC label with the black and white scales on the back.  (Not including the red labels that CGC used for Wizard 9.5 slabs)

2 minutes ago, valiantman said:
4 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Would have even older book labeled it as modern? I guess not, as it is 1973?

No, it was always a blue label.  Books dated 1975-2001 might exist with a red CGC label with the black and white scales on the back.  (Not including the red labels that CGC used for Wizard 9.5 slabs)

Here's a fun example of the red label... it's a CGC SAMPLE book, from the early days when they needed to show dealers what a slab would look like.

0001100013_1200.jpg

0001100013b_1200.jpg

9 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Would an even older label have labeled it as modern? I guess not, as it is 1973?

Sorry lol I had to clarify this question, as it was worded funky the first time :foryou: 

Ya this is what I first thought of as an older label, thanks for the reference point (thumbsu 

3 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Here's a fun example of the red label... it's a CGC SAMPLE book, from the early days when they needed to show dealers what a slab would look like.

0001100013b_1200.jpg

3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Sorry lol I had to clarify this question, as it was worded funky the first time :foryou: 

Ya this is what I first thought of as an older label, thanks for the reference point (thumbsu 

Right, the earliest possible CGC labels have the grade as a tiny number, and they exist as red (comics from 1975-2001), blue (comics 1974 and earlier), plus the green (qualified) and purple (restored)... all of these have the black and white CGC scales on the back of the label.

The earliest yellow labels do not have the black and white scales.  They didn't come along until the CGC logo had switched to red (like your book) instead of the black and white scales.

Edited by valiantman

5 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Right, the earliest possible CGC labels have the grade as a tiny number, and they exist as red (comics from 1975-2001), blue (comics 1974 and earlier), plus the green (qualified) and purple (restored)... all of these have the black and white CGC scales on the back of the label.

mine has a grade date of 09/05/2002 (thumbsu I guess that they went to newer cases in 2003-2004?

8 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

mine has a grade date of 09/05/2002 (thumbsu I guess that they went to newer cases in 2003-2004?

I believe they stopped using red labels sometime in July 2001... so any book graded after August 2001 should be a blue label "modern" which is the same blue label as the older books had from the start.

The big grade numbers started in late July 2003.  Books graded before July 2003 have the tiny grade 9.4, books graded after July 2003 have 9.4 huge on the left.

The page quality joined the grade on the left side of the label in April 2016, with the new clearer slabs, but it was June 2016 when the inner well returned after the "wavy comic" problems from April to June.

No significant changes since June 2016.