• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your collection?
47 47

60,964 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, letsgrumble said:

This week, I'm just able to sort out books I acquired over the last few months.

Picked out this souvenir up when I was in Williamsburg, VA in June:

fullsizeoutput_c01e.thumb.jpeg.b51fc17c61a990937d8487c8a77fb3ac.jpeg

been after one of those myself :) nice looking copy (thumbsu 

2 hours ago, letsgrumble said:

This week, I'm just able to sort out books I acquired over the last few months.

Picked out this souvenir up when I was in Williamsburg, VA in June:

fullsizeoutput_c01e.thumb.jpeg.b51fc17c61a990937d8487c8a77fb3ac.jpeg

Where’d you get that in Williamsburg?

Also made attempts to visit Comic Kings in Virginia Beach the last two years. GPS and an address could not get me there (twice), so I just bailed each time after driving around the area in that traffic congestion.

Did make it to their "new" store once, in 2014, and bought some Ditko Spideys there. Joey, the owner, is great!

If you have other comic shop recommendations in that area, I'd love to know! 

8 hours ago, letsgrumble said:

Also made attempts to visit Comic Kings in Virginia Beach the last two years. GPS and an address could not get me there (twice), so I just bailed each time after driving around the area in that traffic congestion.

Did make it to their "new" store once, in 2014, and bought some Ditko Spideys there. Joey, the owner, is great!

If you have other comic shop recommendations in that area, I'd love to know! 

I have never been to Comic Cubicle, I will be back in Va for a week soon, might have to take a trip up there if I have time (also depending on their hours).

So some shops for you to check out.

If you don't mind the smell of cats, Benders Books and Comics is decent on Mallory Street in Hampton.  It is right before the Bridge Tunnel to Norfolk.  They literally have 1-2 free roaming cats in store.

If you are looking for a cool shop run by some awesome folks, either the Hampton or Yorktown Jersey's Cards and comics, they are mostly modern.  They have some back stock in Yorktown, but it is not a huge amount don't think you will find anything pre 1990 if at all.  Gaming and cards are more their thing though (Hampton is almost all cards).

Pretty decent selection of older comics and some slabs, Atomic Comics on Mercury Blvd in Hampton.  The owner is not really there anymore and his kids run it now.  They are good people.  They have 2 locations, make sure you are at the one in Hampton.  The one in Newport News I am not sure what kind of stock they have.

On the Norfolk/Va Beach side.  Atlantis might have some stuff, but last I was in there, they are mostly modern and gaming.  They have a few locations so maybe the Portsmouth location might have more as it is a bigger location.

And in Va Beach, Trilogy Comics on Princess Anne.

When I go out to Va if you want me to look for anything specific and report back to you, I can if you'd like @letsgrumble. :)

12 hours ago, Crops068 said:

I have never been to Comic Cubicle, I will be back in Va for a week soon, might have to take a trip up there if I have time (also depending on their hours).

So some shops for you to check out.

If you don't mind the smell of cats, Benders Books and Comics is decent on Mallory Street in Hampton.  It is right before the Bridge Tunnel to Norfolk.  They literally have 1-2 free roaming cats in store.

If you are looking for a cool shop run by some awesome folks, either the Hampton or Yorktown Jersey's Cards and comics, they are mostly modern.  They have some back stock in Yorktown, but it is not a huge amount don't think you will find anything pre 1990 if at all.  Gaming and cards are more their thing though (Hampton is almost all cards).

Pretty decent selection of older comics and some slabs, Atomic Comics on Mercury Blvd in Hampton.  The owner is not really there anymore and his kids run it now.  They are good people.  They have 2 locations, make sure you are at the one in Hampton.  The one in Newport News I am not sure what kind of stock they have.

On the Norfolk/Va Beach side.  Atlantis might have some stuff, but last I was in there, they are mostly modern and gaming.  They have a few locations so maybe the Portsmouth location might have more as it is a bigger location.

And in Va Beach, Trilogy Comics on Princess Anne.

When I go out to Va if you want me to look for anything specific and report back to you, I can if you'd like @letsgrumble. :)

Thank you for the tips @Crops068(thumbsu

Benders was recommended to me once before too so I will have to stop in there next time I'm in VA.

And it looks like Atomic Comics will also be on my hit list. I just checked out their Facebook page. If posting a ST #110 for sale and a just-sold ASM #1 in the last 7 days is an indication of what you'd might find in the store, then yes it'll be worth checking out.

With Comic Cubicle, you have to ask to see the older Marvel/DC stock. Those boxes are stored in drawers below their common back issue sections. They'll lug it all out for you. Condition varies but you'll have to do some digging to find higher grade books. I've been there 3-4 times and have always been able to find a few gems. I once saw @jimjum12 in the store (celebrity sighting).