• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your collection?
48 48

61,025 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, BabaLament said:

Very nice book @DocHoppus182! That shows very nicely; anything in the notes that explains the 8.5?

I got it from a friend.  I haven’t seen the graders notes unfortunately.  The top left corner looks a bit soft.  He thought it would come back a 9.0.  When I submit books, I usually figure it a win when I get within a half grade either way.  He was teed off about it.

43 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

LCS had a 25% off sale for Black Friday that coincided with their RSD sale. I was too doped up on turkey and NyQuil to drag my out of bed when they opened at 8am, so pickings were slim, but I did grab a couple of fun mags and a Kirby beater. The real fun find was the unpunched Captain Britain mask, sitting all by its lonesome in the back of a bargain box. Never had one of these before and don't see them often. Now I guess I need a Captain Britain 1 to go with it!

IMG_9311.JPG

IMG_9313.JPG

IMG_9314.JPG

IMG_9320.JPG

The mask is really cool. The mask is from the 70s series, and the magazine you got is from the 80s series. The 80s series I see more frequently than the 70s, and rarely the mask. It is amazing the stuff you can find in LCS long boxes - stuff they think is junk that is actually really cool and rare. Did I mention how awesome that mask is? Action Force is great too. I'm slowly putting together a run from dollar boxes.

8 minutes ago, srezvan said:

The mask is really cool. The mask is from the 70s series, and the magazine you got is from the 80s series. The 80s series I see more frequently than the 70s, and rarely the mask. It is amazing the stuff you can find in LCS long boxes - stuff they think is junk that is actually really cool and rare. Did I mention how awesome that mask is? Action Force is great too. I'm slowly putting together a run from dollar boxes.

Thanks man! I was pretty shocked to see the mask just randomly tucked in with some clearance priced bronze books, on the opposite side of the store where I found the CB magazine. Man, I love that early Alan Davis stuff! But yeah, for $10 and 25% off, In couldn't get the mask to the register fast enough! I'm thinking they didn't really know what it was, which leads to the question of why someone sold it to them so cheap in the first place! Anyway, it made my trip to the shop worthwhile!

As for the Action Force, I've always dug them, but I just don't see them around here, ever. It's a little rough, but for the price I had to bring it home. Would love to find some more on the cheap.

23 hours ago, BabaLament said:

Hello all!

I got one! I got one! Aliens Predator: Deadliest of the Species Silver/Platinum Ashcan! Still in its sealed envelope!

Yes, I realize this isn't a key, extremely valuable, or even on most people's radar. I don't care; I've been looking for one of these for years.

For those who can't fathom why I'm so excited, allow me to explain:

Deadliest of the Species #1 was the first book I ever bought with my dad. He wasn't big on comic books; but he thought these were cool. It was the first time I can remember my dad and I both nerding out about the same thing. We bought the set from a comic shop in the mall & the owner was super cool. He would give away freebies from time to time, and when dad and I checked out, he tossed in the red foil ashcan. We bought the books, then went home and spent the rest of the weekend watching Alien & Predator movies (80's parenting at its finest). As for comics, I was hooked. ;)

So its 100% sentimental value on my part; though I still profess that this series has the coolest cover art ever produced by DHC.

Now that I've got the full set of comics & ashcans, I'm sending them in to CGC for grade. When they're on slab, I'm going to have them mounted in a custom frame w/ the picture I have of Dad & I from back then, and hang it up on the office wall.

*Update* So I've heard from a few people about it being in the sealed envelope, and the advice has gone both ways. About half say "hell with it, slab that baby" & the other half say "why would you take it out of its original sealed package?" Can I get some advice from the more experienced of you guys on which way I should go with this? I can still frame it up in its original envelope, but the original intent was to slab the entire set. Constructive feedback would be appreciated.

Silver Foil.jpg

As an Alien collector myself, that is super cool!  I guess it comes down to display preference. If you are wanting a slabbed set, then having this one raw may bug you down the road. But personally I think it looks pretty snazzy as is!