• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your collection?
48 48

61,025 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

With record?There's a few records available on discogs if you're interested,but not cheap.

no not with record.. definitely might be interested in that when I recover from my recent big purchases 

On 11/30/2019 at 5:30 PM, BabaLament said:

Hello all!

I got one! I got one! Aliens Predator: Deadliest of the Species Silver/Platinum Ashcan! Still in its sealed envelope!

Yes, I realize this isn't a key, extremely valuable, or even on most people's radar. I don't care; I've been looking for one of these for years.

For those who can't fathom why I'm so excited, allow me to explain:

Deadliest of the Species #1 was the first book I ever bought with my dad. He wasn't big on comic books; but he thought these were cool. It was the first time I can remember my dad and I both nerding out about the same thing. We bought the set from a comic shop in the mall & the owner was super cool. He would give away freebies from time to time, and when dad and I checked out, he tossed in the red foil ashcan. We bought the books, then went home and spent the rest of the weekend watching Alien & Predator movies (80's parenting at its finest). As for comics, I was hooked. ;)

So its 100% sentimental value on my part; though I still profess that this series has the coolest cover art ever produced by DHC.

Now that I've got the full set of comics & ashcans, I'm sending them in to CGC for grade. When they're on slab, I'm going to have them mounted in a custom frame w/ the picture I have of Dad & I from back then, and hang it up on the office wall.

*Update* So I've heard from a few people about it being in the sealed envelope, and the advice has gone both ways. About half say "hell with it, slab that baby" & the other half say "why would you take it out of its original sealed package?" Can I get some advice from the more experienced of you guys on which way I should go with this? I can still frame it up in its original envelope, but the original intent was to slab the entire set. Constructive feedback would be appreciated.

Silver Foil.jpg

you might get better feedback on this question in its own thread, but if its not a valuable book or a book you will never sell maybe keep it raw in a mylar as I am not sure what material the sleeve is and I know many have said sealed poly bags can cause damage to the comic. if the envelope is archival safe I would keep it raw frame it and enjoy it, but this depends highly on what your displaying preference is. Some like to display slab books some display raw etc.. I do both but if the envelope could damage the comic like the sealed poly bag other books were sold in I would free it and slab it then.. specially since this book has sentimental reasons for you. I have some in poly bags but they are a few dollars and I like them in the poly bag as it has some artwork and reminder of how some books were sold back in the days... so there are many factors that can play into your decision. 

The best advice you can get is do some research on this topic and figure out how you want to enjoy your treasure... 

Best of luck and upload some pics of the display if you go that route.(thumbsu

6 hours ago, Krismusic said:

no not with record.. definitely might be interested in that when I recover from my recent big purchases 

I'm sure you can find it on your own,but lmk if you forget the site or something.

6 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

I'm sure you can find it on your own,but lmk if you forget the site or something.

will do thanks! (thumbsu