• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your collection?
48 48

61,025 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

A comic or three may indeed have had the scissor treatment, but it's of its time Kevin. That's what we were supposed to do back then. And it's not like each comic doesn't have thousands of other examples in existence. I just watched a video of Alan Class explaining how he ripped the cover from a Fantastic Four #1 to give to the printers as a colour guide for one of his old sixties reprints. This is what we did back in the day. I think the full up stamp book is fantastic. Thanks for showing it :cloud9:

Yeah, I get what you say, I remember using the covers of British marvels to wallpaper my room back in the day when I didnt know any better, I dont collect British comics, but still seems bad to me now.

I know someone out there has a Nice Hulk 181 shaking his fist coz his stamp is missing, its in my new little book :grin:

15 hours ago, Kevin.J said:
19 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

Show us the innards Kev!

Okay, just for you bro

Breaks my heart to think of the comics ruined to make this little book though :(

Complete.thumb.png.4a7a0d10091bfd862233cd95cdc50023.png

Outstanding !! :applause:

There is one missing though.  Do you know which one ? 

It never ceases to amaze me how all these value stamps were meticulously cut off the books. Every marvel comic that I find with a missing mvs was cut near perfection around the stamp. Which kinda tells me that the readers/collectors still cared for the book, but I guess cared equally to collecting the stamps. I often come across many older books which had carelessly torn pages around coupon ads, which kinda tells me that in older times people didn’t care much for the comic nor preserving its looks

On 2/1/2020 at 11:48 PM, porcupine48 said:

I love that these can still be got fairly cheap in great shape.Loved those DC ghosty titles growing up,I'd get stacks of them at yard sales

jeBp2gA.jpg?2

That's a great one! There was a time, I think it was the mid to late 90's, when there was a comic site called coverpricecomics, or something like that. They dealt in back issues, and everything was, as you'd expect, cover price. I picked up TONS of 70's DC horror books from that place ,so many great stories. Ghosts, Sinister House, House of Secrets/Mystery, etc. Terrific stuff. I think I have most of that in Showcase reprints now, and they're great reads.

On 2/2/2020 at 3:22 PM, Kevin.J said:
On 2/2/2020 at 7:38 AM, Senormac said:

Outstanding !! :applause:

There is one missing though.  Do you know which one ? 

The book is complete with 100 stamps, my pic is quite small, maybe it looks like there is one missing on the last page ?

Here is a bigger scan of the last page :banana:

7.thumb.jpg.ccee44211dbfff67e037998e24177125.jpg

:baiting::grin:

http://www.mvstamps.com/forbushman.htm

2 hours ago, F For Fake said:

That's a great one! There was a time, I think it was the mid to late 90's, when there was a comic site called coverpricecomics, or something like that. They dealt in back issues, and everything was, as you'd expect, cover price. I picked up TONS of 70's DC horror books from that place ,so many great stories. Ghosts, Sinister House, House of Secrets/Mystery, etc. Terrific stuff. I think I have most of that in Showcase reprints now, and they're great reads.

I still have most of my stacks of ghosty readers as I call them,in some old fruit box with the EC reprints,some funny animals,Gold Key,I have it around for anyone that wants to(respectfully,not mangle) read em.There's a few extra nostalgic ones I keep separate of course,but they're meant to be enjoyed! I'll always pick stuff like that up for a buck or under,but it was sweet getting some nicer shape ones from John R's thread recent,gave me the bug again! I've noticed,I never seem to see high grade Gold Key around,either no one sells em cause no one wants em,or are they just that tough?

6 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

I still have most of my stacks of ghosty readers as I call them,in some old fruit box with the EC reprints,some funny animals,Gold Key,I have it around for anyone that wants to(respectfully,not mangle) read em.There's a few extra nostalgic ones I keep separate of course,but they're meant to be enjoyed! I'll always pick stuff like that up for a buck or under,but it was sweet getting some nicer shape ones from John R's thread recent,gave me the bug again! I've noticed,I never seem to see high grade Gold Key around,either no one sells em cause no one wants em,or are they just that tough?

High grade Gold Key pence copies are hard to find. They don't appear to have been cherished as much as the Marvels. Or perhaps they're more cherished, and all hiding in collections.