• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your collection?
48 48

61,026 posts in this topic

26 minutes ago, bigfiver69 said:

Anyone else digging around in their stacks these days and finding some forgotten surprises?

Yeah, I am bagging and boarding the stuff i have bought in maybe the last year and finding things still on my want list, bought, piled and forgotten and still looking for  

A few I have bought twice too and thats always been a problem for me as I can never part with the duplicates either lol 

43 minutes ago, Kevin.J said:

Yeah, I am bagging and boarding the stuff i have bought in maybe the last year and finding things still on my want list, bought, piled and forgotten and still looking for  

A few I have bought twice too and thats always been a problem for me as I can never part with the duplicates either lol 

That's part of why I started getting out of comics about 9 years ago. I ordered a box of about a dozen slabbed war books for around $800. Sounds like a lot of money to me now, but that was getting to be a regular purchase back then. I got them in September, and didn't even take them out to put them in my collection until the Christmas break. When I did, I realized I had 10 of the 12 book already, in marginally lesser grade (9.4 instead of 9.6, 9.0 instead of 9.2, etc) and it just hit me like a ton of bricks that it was starting to get a little dumb.

Over the following year or so, I sold the majority of my silver and bronze age war books - including solid copies of GI Combat 87, OAAW 81, 82 and 83, plus a lot of uber-violent Atlas war covers. Got great money for all my books at the time, though just 8 years later many are 4-6x what they were worth then.

Still have nice copies of most of the 1970-onwards stuff, but I sold a lot of that too. Slowly re-filling those holes, but happy with clean raw 8.0-9.2, instead of chasing down white-paged 9.4 and 9.6 books, which even then were getting impossibly expensive to put together in long runs.

23 minutes ago, bigfiver69 said:

That's part of why I started getting out of comics about 9 years ago. I ordered a box of about a dozen slabbed war books for around $800. Sounds like a lot of money to me now, but that was getting to be a regular purchase back then. I got them in September, and didn't even take them out to put them in my collection until the Christmas break. When I did, I realized I had 10 of the 12 book already, in marginally lesser grade (9.4 instead of 9.6, 9.0 instead of 9.2, etc) and it just hit me like a ton of bricks that it was starting to get a little dumb.

Over the following year or so, I sold the majority of my silver and bronze age war books - including solid copies of GI Combat 87, OAAW 81, 82 and 83, plus a lot of uber-violent Atlas war covers. Got great money for all my books at the time, though just 8 years later many are 4-6x what they were worth then.

Still have nice copies of most of the 1970-onwards stuff, but I sold a lot of that too. Slowly re-filling those holes, but happy with clean raw 8.0-9.2, instead of chasing down white-paged 9.4 and 9.6 books, which even then were getting impossibly expensive to put together in long runs.

Collecting seems to ever evolve! Glad to hear you were satisfied! And minimal regrets if any :x

wish it was under different circumstances, but being thankful for what we got, I'm also glad you've refound your collection  :tink:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

9 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Collecting seems to ever evolve! Glad to hear you were satisfied! And minimal regrets if any :x

wish it was under different circumstances, but being thankful for what we got, I'm also glad you've refound your collection  :tink:

Thanks! I wish it was under different circumstances too, but these days I'm taking all the good I can out of the situation...

On 5/19/2020 at 9:04 PM, bigfiver69 said:

None of these books are super valuable, but I'm taking this as a Covid silver lining for sure. My old instinct would be to sell all of these, but these are sticking around... great to have some awesome reading close at hand and not getting weirded out about dropping a grade. Also found a ton of 1980s books like Firestorm, Fantastic Four and Avengers... all store stock books I bought years ago from a shop that was closing, and promptly forgot about.

Anyone else digging around in their stacks these days and finding some forgotten surprises?

Definitely! I am going through my collection, rebagging and boarding and reading stuff that I have never had the time to read. Some of the surprises that I did not know I had include several books with Mark Jewellers inserts (I love hidden surprises!) in my ASM run that I had not checked out in years. 

2 hours ago, johnenock said:

Don't collect Spidey but I like the insert

Nice, mine also has the insert that I forgot about/knew about but 15 years ago when I bought it, my knowledge on inserts was zippo and it was purchased purely as part of my ASM run. 

8 minutes ago, littledoom said:

they're cute next to each other :).

253FEB68-92D0-4308-8FD4-EDB37703911E.jpeg

:o wow Congrats! AND that is basically the only 2 I'm missing too haha just hard to put up $400 for a decent copy :cry: