• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your collection?
49 49

61,044 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I'm listening!

It's got to be somebody, like a somebody, that embodies the sum of the parts of the oddity!

I'm unfamiliar with the signature of Glynis Wein. The only exemplar I can find online of her signature is a signed Hulk 181 cover/card and that autograph bears no resemblance; shares no similar handwriting characteristics to the one on the splash page shown here. It could be, but as I have no personal, first hand experience with her auto, and know of none with rock solid provenance, the Hulk 181 image being the only one I can find on the net, thee's no way for me to tell with any assuredness.  

1 minute ago, James J Johnson said:

I'm unfamiliar with the signature of Glynis Wein. The only exemplar I can find online of her signature is a signed Hulk 181 cover/card and that autograph bears no resemblance; shares no similar handwriting characteristics to the one on the splash page shown here. It could be, but as I have no personal, first hand experience with her auto, and know of none with rock solid provenance, the Hulk 181 image being the only one I can find on the net, thee's no way for me to tell with any assuredness.  

I just appreciate the honest response! It looked to clean to be a kid, but then I didn't expect to be able to figure it out lol either, I figured I'd ask just in case so

Thank You!

12 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I just appreciate the honest response! It looked to clean to be a kid, but then I didn't expect to be able to figure it out lol either, I figured I'd ask just in case so

Thank You!

Of the two G. Wein's I'm looking at, the one on the Hulk 181 image and this one on the splash, it is altogether possible that one of them may be authentic; but definitely not both. That said, let's look at the one on the splash page here. The first letter specifically. No matter how stylized an author may artistically render his signature, even when with extreme artistic license, that first letter goes completely against the formation of any "G" I've seen. It strikes me far more as a --script capital "S" than a "G". Sure, a --script capital 'G" can start with that upswept angle to the right, but the trajectory of that first letter quickly devolves in "G" character immediately after the initial upstroke. I just don't see a "G" as being the first letter. This is probably someone's name written on the splash page, IMO. Denoting ownership, not authorship. Also, bearing in mind that there exists the imparting of "masculine" and "feminine" characteristics to a track by the author, this track strikes me as masculine in nature, further reinforcing my opinion of a high likelihood of this either being a forgery or a name written by the owner of the book, as the signature is also signed in an atypical location, above the margin, for most artists. Of the two signatures, this and the Hulk 181 card, IMO, the latter has a greater chance of being authentic than this does. 

Did Glynis Wein ever sign for CGC's yellow label? 

Edited by James J Johnson

3 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

@James J Johnson

Glynis Wein? On the #168 will o wisp?

And @kav?

IMG_20200808_133153533.jpg

IMG_20200808_133203940_MP.jpg

3 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Of the two G. Wein's I'm looking at, the one on the Hulk 181 image and this one on the splash, it is altogether possible that one of them may be authentic; but definitely not both. That said, let's look at the one on the splash page here. The first letter specifically. No matter how stylized an author may artistically render his signature, even when with extreme artistic license, that first letter goes completely against the formation of any "G" I've seen. It strikes me far more as a ---script capital "S" than a "G". Sure, a ---script capital 'G" can start with that usswept angle to the right, but the trajectory of that first letter quickly devolves in "G" character immediately after the initial upstroke. I just don't see a "G" as being the first letter. This is probably someone's name written on the splash page, IMO. Denoting ownership, not authorship. Also, bearing in mind that there exists the imparting of "masculine" and "feminine" characteristics to a track by the author, this track strikes me as masculine in nature, further reinforcing my opinion of a high likelihood of this either being a forgery or a name written by the owner of the book, as the signature is also signed in an atypical location, above the margin, for most artists. Of the two signatures, this and the Hulk 181 card, IMO, the latter has a greater chance of being authentic than this does. 

Did Glynis Wein ever sign for CGC's yellow label? 

Of the credits in my 2nd pic, I guessed the g name, cause the others accredited on the book seem even less likely, so you're probably right, just someone's name...

I mean I know it's not Ross, Ken, or Mike, the last 3 I'm unfamiliar with

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

14 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Thank You!

Aso, for reference, let's look at the Hulk 181 card image, the only G.Wein auto that comes up in a google search: 

GWein.jpg

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Of the credits in my 2nd pic, I guessed the g name, cause the others accredited on the book seem even less likely, so you're probably right, just someone's name...

I mean I know it's not Ross, Ken, or Mike, the last 3 I'm unfamiliar with

No. It's none of the above. I'm fairly certain, based on all noted, that it's a name of an owner of the book; not a creator. 

@electricprune got me on a minor Mignola kick, so I picked from wwcomics up a few Marvel covers he did.

The Ross covers come from @Bio-Rupp. I couldn't condense this enough to make a gif that I could upload, so you'll hear my son and wife chattering. My son talks ALL DAY LONG.

Edited by DavidTheDavid