• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your collection?
49 49

61,044 posts in this topic

wow, i expected these two to be worth a few bucks, but i am shocked that a bunch of others from the pile are too. i need to tell me wife to be quiet  when she tells me not to go through records people throw out. when i got on ebay in 1999/2000 I sold a TON of records, not for huge money, but $7-$15 for stuff I fished out of the trash in my apartment building seemed pretty good, but then I guess everyone started selling records and the market seemed to tank except for the really interesting stuff. as folks got out of selling records because it is a pain, have prices gone up? Are the last gasps of genX getting more nostalgic about the vinyl they tossed 20 years ago?

32 minutes ago, the blob said:

wow, i expected these two to be worth a few bucks, but i am shocked that a bunch of others from the pile are too. i need to tell me wife to be quiet  when she tells me not to go through records people throw out. when i got on ebay in 1999/2000 I sold a TON of records, not for huge money, but $7-$15 for stuff I fished out of the trash in my apartment building seemed pretty good, but then I guess everyone started selling records and the market seemed to tank except for the really interesting stuff. as folks got out of selling records because it is a pain, have prices gone up? Are the last gasps of genX getting more nostalgic about the vinyl they tossed 20 years ago?

I don't know for sure about gen X but apparently vinyl prices are exceedingly still strong and especially online. My own band has a few good relationships with certain shops who tell me good things and people are also getting into lathe cuts. I think getting $7-15 for pre-owned records isn't bad actually!

33 minutes ago, wisbyron said:

I don't know for sure about gen X but apparently vinyl prices are exceedingly still strong and especially online. My own band has a few good relationships with certain shops who tell me good things and people are also getting into lathe cuts. I think getting $7-15 for pre-owned records isn't bad actually!

Especially in 1999/2000 that was more real money but they were a pain to ship so I stopped.

Just now, the blob said:

Especially in 1999/2000 that was more real money but they were a pain to ship so I stopped.

I feel you as I mail a lot of record orders out which is slightly more gratifying when it's your *own* band but yes, records can be damaged and record buyers are understandably rather nitpicky about it.

46 minutes ago, wisbyron said:

I feel you as I mail a lot of record orders out which is slightly more gratifying when it's your *own* band but yes, records can be damaged and record buyers are understandably rather nitpicky about it.

Now I am sitting on a huge stack of records that seem to have realistic selling prices of $8-$20 with a few over that and wonder if I need to find a deal on 50 record mailers.  On the flip side I think those might be good for shipping magazines too (and my geminis are not) and I might be able to get away with media mail on that as they'll assume there are records in the record mailers that qualify (and old magazines should qualify anyway!).