• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your collection?
48 48

61,025 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, the blob said:

Now I am sitting on a huge stack of records that seem to have realistic selling prices of $8-$20 with a few over that and wonder if I need to find a deal on 50 record mailers.  On the flip side I think those might be good for shipping magazines too (and my geminis are not) and I might be able to get away with media mail on that as they'll assume there are records in the record mailers that qualify (and old magazines should qualify anyway!).

If you could get your buyers to choose priority you can get the priority mailers for free from the post office (as I'm sure you know). 45s' can fit into those priority envelopes well if you insulate them with cardboard. Whenever I'm sending someone a record or a comic and am concerned about package thieves or something I actually write something like "Fragile: Child's Graduation Photo Enclosed" and 10 out of 10 times, they always get the package :D 

19 minutes ago, wisbyron said:

If you could get your buyers to choose priority you can get the priority mailers for free from the post office (as I'm sure you know). 45s' can fit into those priority envelopes well if you insulate them with cardboard. Whenever I'm sending someone a record or a comic and am concerned about package thieves or something I actually write something like "Fragile: Child's Graduation Photo Enclosed" and 10 out of 10 times, they always get the package :D 

I don't think anyone wants to pay $8-$14 to get any of these records shipped to them priority mail. I think one of the things saving record sales is you can legally ship media mail with them, so most of the shipping is under $5. I see some decent looking mailers that will be good for magazines and books too for under 50 cents a pop.

9 hours ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Yup, them brothers are the men, bought several comics from @AustinReece_GRRC

always shop there before eBay 

(thumbsu

I'd always hit their booth back in the days when there were comic shows. But have only made a few online purchases to date. There's plenty of eye candy on their site, that for sure. :smile:

On 11/22/2020 at 7:26 PM, greggy said:

AmericanSplendor1.jpg?width=1920&height=
AmericanSplendor2.jpg?width=1920&height=
AmericanSplendor4.jpg?width=1920&height=
AmericanSplendor5.jpg?width=1920&height=
AmericanSplendor6.jpg?width=1920&height=
AmericanSplendor8.jpg?width=1920&height=
AmericanSplendor9.jpg?width=1920&height=

Man, America Splendor is great. I used to love Harvey's appearances on the old Letterman show. RIP.

On 12/7/2020 at 3:42 PM, the blob said:

wow, i expected these two to be worth a few bucks, but i am shocked that a bunch of others from the pile are too. i need to tell me wife to be quiet  when she tells me not to go through records people throw out. when i got on ebay in 1999/2000 I sold a TON of records, not for huge money, but $7-$15 for stuff I fished out of the trash in my apartment building seemed pretty good, but then I guess everyone started selling records and the market seemed to tank except for the really interesting stuff. as folks got out of selling records because it is a pain, have prices gone up? Are the last gasps of genX getting more nostalgic about the vinyl they tossed 20 years ago?

Vinyl is hot for sure. As most physical media has died/is dying, true music collectors have turned almost exclusively to vinyl. Sure, there's tons of stuff from the 50's-80's that isn't worth anything at all, due to the high numbers available, but really sharp (i.e. playable) copies of stuff will always sell, and stuff released during the times when vinyl was "dead" (the rise of CD's) can command a very hefty sum, as they weren't printed in high numbers during those years. Add to that so much stuff being re-released on 180 vinyl, tons of boutique labels, etc it's a lot like the comic market. There are a couple of local shops that carry vinyl, and when they get a new collection in, the feeding frenzy is very much like when the comic shop gets a new collection of books. But it's like anything else, you have to know what you're looking for. Rarity and condition, just like comics, is what makes the world go round.

1 hour ago, F For Fake said:

Vinyl is hot for sure. As most physical media has died/is dying, true music collectors have turned almost exclusively to vinyl. Sure, there's tons of stuff from the 50's-80's that isn't worth anything at all, due to the high numbers available, but really sharp (i.e. playable) copies of stuff will always sell, and stuff released during the times when vinyl was "dead" (the rise of CD's) can command a very hefty sum, as they weren't printed in high numbers during those years. Add to that so much stuff being re-released on 180 vinyl, tons of boutique labels, etc it's a lot like the comic market. There are a couple of local shops that carry vinyl, and when they get a new collection in, the feeding frenzy is very much like when the comic shop gets a new collection of books. But it's like anything else, you have to know what you're looking for. Rarity and condition, just like comics, is what makes the world go round.

The re-releases get really good money often, better than the originals often. I looked a lot of them up, I don't have any "rarities," but a few sealed ones that do well and a fair number that sell regularly in the $8-$20 range, a few more. If I don't have a problem selling comics for that little, I probably shouldn't have an issue selling records for that little, but i will have to invest in some record mailers. which, as noted, can double as magazine mailers, which is nice. I don't have a working record player though, so I guess I need to eyeball them for scratches and warps. I just had to ship out a magazine and finding a box was a big pain as none of my geminis or uline boxes fit. a had a couple of 12X9s that do, but insufficiently_thoughtful_person that I am, my cardboard sandwhich was about 1/8-1/4th inch too big and I didn't want to take it apart and shave it off.