• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your collection?
48 48

61,023 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

With it already being slabbed you can send it in for an evaluation ( joey or ccs) and they will tell you if they think it would get a bump or not without having to crack it. If they do not they will return it still intact. Either way that is a beautiful copy and congratulations!

Yes, this exactly.

With old slabs, there are two concurrent and sometimes contradictory schools of thought:

1. Grading was tighter then, so the book is likely not overgraded. (Though anecdotally I am to understand that grading is tighter now than ever before, so maybe that's not the case anymore?)

2. Books in OG slabs were submitted before pressing became the norm, therefore the book may be "upgradable", whereas everyone assumes that every book slabbed in, oh, the last 10-15 years or so, has been pressed within an inch of its life.

So...I realize now that none of this is actually helpful, so yeah, just do what @onlyweaknesskryptonite said and have a pro give it the once over. Personally, I'd just leave it in the slab as is. Beautiful book and I dig the older labels, not worth the risk of a downgrade for me. You may gamble and win, though!

13 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Yes, this exactly.

With old slabs, there are two concurrent and sometimes contradictory schools of thought:

1. Grading was tighter then, so the book is likely not overgraded. (Though anecdotally I am to understand that grading is tighter now than ever before, so maybe that's not the case anymore?)

2. Books in OG slabs were submitted before pressing became the norm, therefore the book may be "upgradable", whereas everyone assumes that every book slabbed in, oh, the last 10-15 years or so, has been pressed within an inch of its life.

So...I realize now that none of this is actually helpful, so yeah, just do what @onlyweaknesskryptonite said and have a pro give it the once over. Personally, I'd just leave it in the slab as is. Beautiful book and I dig the older labels, not worth the risk of a downgrade for me. You may gamble and win, though!

I do agree with F for Fake.. The older labels do have their draw.

3 hours ago, comicartfan said:

I had an 8.0 copy and I have always wanted to upgrade. I missed out on a couple of other copies that Greg Reece had, but got lucky I saw this one on Bob Storms's website. 

0709200828341.jpg

Man that is a beautiful upgrade.  Congratulations!

6 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Gettin' paid, gettin' trades:

• Superman: The Golden Age Vol. 5
  • Batman: The Golden Age Vol. 6
  • Green Lantern: The Silver Age Vol. 4
  • Swamp Thing: The Bronze Age Vol. 2

May be more to come later...

And so there is:

• Absolute Batman: Dark Victory
  • Absolute Batman: The Long Halloween
  • Death of Superman Omnibus
  • Final Crisis Omnibus

Slow week for me:

Walt Disney's Ludwig Von Drake #2 (Dell)

Red Ryder Comics #111 (Dell)

Graphic Ink:  The DC Comics Art of Frank Quitely HC (DC)

Simon & Kirby Boy Commandos Vol. 2 HC (DC)

Flash Archives Vol. 4 HC (DC)

Atlas Era Marvel Masterworks Vol. 6 HC (Marvel)

Disney Beauty & the Beast Cinestory Comic HC (Joe Books) -- my 3rd and 4th copies

Jet Scott ("A Lost Science Fiction Masterwork") Vol. 1 HC (Dark Horse)

Classics Illustrated #14:  Wuthering Heights HC (NBM/Papercutz) -- my 5th copy

"More Peanuts" replica edition SC (Titan)

18 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

And this....with a pleasant surprise inside!!!image.thumb.jpg.d55dcfbf57daaad15c6bc7eb552b1212.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.658f1b1d3ea8d5355159698262dc32e4.jpg

Wow, a Double Dave! That's awesome. I've owned a ton of Dave covers, and several copies of this book, but never had a double cover. That's terrific!

2 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Wow, a Double Dave! That's awesome. I've owned a ton of Dave covers, and several copies of this book, but never had a double cover. That's terrific!

I bought because I love his work and it was one I didn't have. Doesn't have the glasses although I have a pair from another 3-D comic from that time...plus I'll take the extra cover! It was funny the seller did not notice because he did list saying the glasses were missing which means the book was opened (shrug)