• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC9.8 with indentation on back cover
2 2

14 posts in this topic

34 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

Not sure what it’s from, but it shouldn’t be a 9.8 with that large a flaw.  Did you submit the book yourself? 

I submitted the book back in 2003.

I really don't want to pay for the Grader's Notes (I'm cheap!), but if the only flaw is the indentation > 9.9 :whee:

Actually, it looks like an indentation from the printing process.

Paper would 'stop and go' through the presses at great speeds and this could create indentations on the paper.

There are various defects on Silver Age books that are very common (and allowed) in higher grades.

This may or may not be one of those flaws (hard to tell without the book in hand) but it does look like it.

On 10/18/2018 at 8:11 AM, Chaos_in_Canada said:

I have a CGC9.8 with an indentation on the back cover.

I think it's caused by the bundle strap? 

I'm wondering if this flaw is holding it back.

Opinions would be appreciated.

Untitled98oww+dent.jpg

I have seen many 9.8's of this book without this defect, that looked flawless. CGC has only given 2 9.9's to SA ASM'S and both copies (19,73) deserved every bit of the grade. I do not believe it would be very easy to get a 9.9 on a 33 as there are so MANY graded copies out there and 10X that many in the raw.

I would not waste your money on grader notes, as I would wager that there aren't any as typical with most 9.8's. The staples are the bigger issue on it , might post the front cover :P , one of my favorites.

Congrats on such a beautiful copy!

In 2003, they were not as strict on surface flaws. Today, with the advent of pressing, they are used to seeing completely flat books void of surface flaws. By today's standards, this is a 9.6 . You would be crazy to resubmit.

On 10/18/2018 at 11:11 AM, Chaos_in_Canada said:

I have a CGC9.8 with an indentation on the back cover.

I think it's caused by the bundle strap? 

Agreed.  Comics were bundled for distribution by thin metal straps, and that mark could have been caused by the clamp holding the lower strap in place.

1 hour ago, amazingspiderfan said:

I have seen many 9.8's of this book without this defect, that looked flawless. CGC has only given 2 9.9's to SA ASM'S and both copies (19,73) deserved every bit of the grade. I do not believe it would be very easy to get a 9.9 on a 33 as there are so MANY graded copies out there and 10X that many in the raw.

I would not waste your money on grader notes, as I would wager that there aren't any as typical with most 9.8's. The staples are the bigger issue on it , might post the front cover :P , one of my favorites.

Congrats on such a beautiful copy!

Good catch, Hawkeye!:golfclap:

Untitled61.jpg