• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TOP-10 CB MOVIES
1 1

59 posts in this topic

While thinking through all of the comic movies over the last 40 years, one thing is very clear to me - We are in the golden age of comic movies.  While I have two classics as my favorites, the rest of them are recent ones because they have become so good, especially in the MCU.  

One note:  From a comic standpoint, I have mostly been a DC guy, but that changes in movie world. What Marvel has accomplished and brought to the screen over the last 10 years is beyond remarkable especially in the piece by piece build up to Infinity War.  I'm over 50 so I grew up with Bronze Age Marvel and DC comics.  My son-in-laws, who are in their 20's now and never read comics like I did, got jacked waiting on the Avengers movie to come out.  I don't know how they do it, but each movie gets better and better by expanding the scope that is carried in each one.

So, here is my list:

1.  Superman the Movie (1978) - Finally, a serious big budget super hero movie that was a hit.

2.  Batman (1989) - On some days this is my #1.  Incredible the way Gotham was recreated and the whole mood of the movie fit the character.

3.  Avengers - This was a dream come true and it delivered on all levels

4.  Avengers Infinity War - Unreal that Marvel would put this many characters in so many settings on one screen.  Comic book lover's dream.

5.  Captain America - I'm a sucker for WWII movies and this was perfectly done from casting to settings to capturing the essence of the character.

6.  Captain America: Civil War - Battle royale between major characters?  What?  YES!!

7.  Batman Begins - Such a cool reboot of the franchise and it's a great movie even if you don't like superheroes

8.  Wonder Woman - One of the few movies that made me feel better and walk a little straighter when it was over.  

9. Iron Man - In some respects this should be higher on my list, but the more recent movies are just better. Still one of my favorites.

10.  Thor - This is one my wife equally enjoys, but for different reasons.  She loves her some Chris Hemsworth.  I like the portrayal of Asgard and the appearance of SHIELD.

The Dark Knight tops the list.

The rest in no particular order:

The Crow

Thor: Ragnorok 

Watchmen

Blade

Superman 78

Batman 89

Man of Steel

Winter Soldier & Civil War (I enjoyed these more than any of The Avengers)

Im curious I dont think anyone else listed "A history of violence", is it that no else liked it or that no one else has seen it? Im just surprised im the only one to mention it. Its brutal at times but its so well acted and directed.

Btw anyone else seen Ghost World? Just awesome comic book adaption movie from about 10-15 years ago.

29 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

Im curious I dont think anyone else listed "A history of violence", is it that no else liked it or that no one else has seen it? Im just surprised im the only one to mention it. Its brutal at times but its so well acted and directed.

Btw anyone else seen Ghost World? Just awesome comic book adaption movie from about 10-15 years ago.

Oh I have seen it and think it is a great movie - I just do not really consider it a comic book movie (yes I am aware of the graphic novel) but it is a great movie with superb acting.

6 minutes ago, Chillax23 said:

Oh I have seen it and think it is a great movie - I just do not really consider it a comic book movie (yes I am aware of the graphic novel) but it is a great movie with superb acting.

see I think of it like 300 or Sin City or Road to Perdition...Or heck even walking dead on some level. Not Superhero but still falls into the bin, just because comics have been so varied for so long. Might not quality though on some level fair point.

8 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

see I think of it like 300 or Sin City or Road to Perdition...Or heck even walking dead on some level. Not Superhero but still falls into the bin, just because comics have been so varied for so long. Might not quality though on some level fair point.

Ya I can't explain it - but it just does not feel like a comic book movie to me (although it is a great movie - I wouldn't put it on my list for this reason) same with road to perdition.  Oddly I do see 300 and certainly Sin City as comic book movies.

Since Bosco opened the can of worms regarding the worst movie(s) you've ever seen, I figured I would threadsurrect this one, and update my Top-10 (in alphabetical order):

• Avengers, The
  • Avengers: Endgame
  • Avengers: Infinity War
  • Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (UE)
  • Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  • Iron Man
  • Man of Steel
  • The Dark Knight
  • Thor: Ragnarok
  • Watchmen (UC)

Honorable Mentions; Avengers: Age of Ultron & The Crow

Secret Honorable Mention: Justice League Snyder Cut

1. Batman Begins
  2. Captain America: the Winter Soldier
  3. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
  4. The Crow
  5. The Dark Knight
  6. Guardians of the Galaxy 
  7. Iron Man
  8. Blade
  9. The Avengers
  10. Shazam!

8 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:

Updated:

Captain Marvel

Scott Pilgrim vs the World

Crumb

Watchmen

Mystery Men

Guardians of the Galaxy

Avengers

Iron Man

Kick Azz

Ghost World

I'd really love to put GotG in my Top-10, but the way they distract/defeat Ronan (while funny) detracts from the overall greatness, a bit too much for me.

I also had no idea that Mystery Men was comic-relative. I loved that movie as a kid.

Mystery Men was fun - I saw it opening night, and it opened the same day as The Sixth Sense.

But for that genre, I'd have to go with Men In Black for sheer re-watchability.

Hard for me to justify Mystery Men as Top 10 if Men In Black is not.