• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CCS PRESSING QUESTION
1 1

12 posts in this topic

Hi,

I send you comics on a regular basis.

I noticed on a New Mutants 87 I am getting back from you in grader notes is says

...bend left top of front cover,bend right top of back cover,crease right top of front cover,spine stress lines.

Should the pressing have removed the bends?

It came out a 9.0.

Thanks,

Colin

• Administrator
43 minutes ago, Pizzafist said:

Hi,

I noticed on a New Mutants 87 I am getting back from you in grader notes is says

...bend left top of front cover,bend right top of back cover,crease right top of front cover,spine stress lines.

It came out a 9.0.

Thanks,

Colin

I'd suggest trying to call customer service and see if they can have it pulled for review, and maybe sent back to CCS. 1-877-NM-COMIC

20 hours ago, Pizzafist said:

Hi,

It came out a 9.0.

Thanks,

Colin

Sounds like they didn't even do it  

4 hours ago, SoCalNacho said:

So CCS could not fix the bends? Is there a disclaimer which stated CCS can not fix ever bend? 

its almost certainly on a case-by-case basis depending on the bend size, severity, location, type and age of paper, other defects that may be related/impacted, as well as the quality of the presser and pressing equipment.  But I'm pretty sure they don't make guarantees or promises, they just identify candidates for potentially pressable defects and then ATTEMPT to correct them based on their skill and experience.  Sometimes it works better than other times.

5 minutes ago, joeypost said:

Really need a scan of the book. I have seen notes like this on 9.8 books where you cannot find the defects they list. 

Everyone knows CGC has better eye sight than the average person. :makepoint:

Edited by Kevin76

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2020 at 7:56 PM, Frankielo said:

I bought a cgc graded book on Ebay and I think it would benefit from a press.how can I find out if it was already pressed on the first grading?

This is personal conjecture to some extent, but one of the reasons 'pressing' is not considered restoration/conservation/someotherterriblething is that in many cases it is difficult or impossible to tell if a comic has been previously pressed.

As for how to find out, you can ask the seller, or you can crack it out of the slab, send it to an pressing expert, then ask their opinion, and even then still not be sure.  There's no marking or public database that lets people know.  Even if you see some 'pressable' defects, it is possible that book has been pressed before (but not quite as expertly) and it went back.

I guess its possible you could take a bunch of pictures and post them in the appropriate subforum here and ask for opinions too.