• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Browning & Oxidation
1 1

3 posts in this topic

I have a number of books I am thinking of submitting to CGC that have minor browning on the edges or oxidation shadows (which I believe to be the same thing).

In using Overstreets Guide to Grading I cannot find any answers to whether the browning or oxidation is acceptable in the 9 or above grades. Does anyone have any input as to what grade this would knock a book down to based on the oxidation/browning alone?

Along these lines I am curious if the entire book has oxidation around the edges is this considered 4 defects because it is 4 sides of the book or just 1 defect?

And will pressing/dry cleaning have any impact?

Thanks!

IMG_1500.JPG

CGC has gotten stricter the last few years on cover tanning.  How it affects the grade is like any other defect - the degree to which said defect exists. With modern books especially like you show here I personally would not bother submitting such. You will likely be disappointed with the CGC assigned grade and your money would be better spent purchasing copies that do not have tanning and sun shadows. 

Dry cleaning done as part of pressing only removes dirt, pencil marks and such off the SURFACE of the paper. Tanning is part of the paper. 

I am wondering about the natural toning that books get as they age. I am finding books that I bought brand new, off the rack, in 1991, 1992, 1993...and stored properly all these years...starting to exhibit toning from age. Not edge tanning...evenly distributed toning over the entire cover.

A good example of this is Wonder Woman #72 (1993)

Since we can't see the future, and don't know how paper from the 80s and 90s will react with age....I wonder how this will affect grading going forward.

After all...while a book like Avengers #4 was bone white when it was released, I doubt there's a single copy out there that hasn't toned even just a bit with age. 

hm