• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

California Comic Convention 2019 ( CalComicCon)
6 6

126 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, oakman29 said:

There are a few boardmembers here.

20190127_093742.jpg

I was in the middle of talking about a book, worth a few grand, to this gentleman.. then he completely ignores me to talk to a woman (guess he knew her) about her travels or some such. I just handed him back the books, which he barely acknowledged, and I just walked away. I was pretty close to buying something too. Tip for any and all Dealers... be mindful of those whom may want to give you cash, and visit with your friends and industry associates between "dealing".. or before/after the show.

Edited by geoffdude

2 minutes ago, geoffdude said:

I was in the middle of talking about a book, worth a few grand, to this gentleman.. then he completely ignores me to talk to a woman (guess he knew her) about her travels or some such. I just handed him back the books, which he barely acknowledged, and I just walked away. I was pretty close to buying something too. Clue for Dealers, be mindful of those whom may want to give you cash, and visit with your friends and industry associates between "dealing". 

Absolutely.  I've gotten that snub many a time while almost buying a high dollar book. I've done the same as you just walked away.

Sad that the shows over. Buying was good, selection was great and saw a ton of friends. Greatest comic central show of the year and one of my favorites. The show is bursting at the seams as it was very busy all day,  and could easily grow into a 2 day show. 

A big thanks to Mr. T for another great show. 

4 minutes ago, joeypost said:

Sad that the shows over. Buying was good, selection was great and saw a ton of friends. Greatest comic central show of the year and one of my favorites. The show is bursting at the seams as it was very busy all day,  and could easily grow into a 2 day show. 

A big thanks to Mr. T for another great show. 

Joey where the heck were you. I wanted to meet you.....

3 hours ago, geoffdude said:

I was in the middle of talking about a book, worth a few grand, to this gentleman.. then he completely ignores me to talk to a woman (guess he knew her) about her travels or some such. I just handed him back the books, which he barely acknowledged, and I just walked away. I was pretty close to buying something too. Tip for any and all Dealers... be mindful of those whom may want to give you cash, and visit with your friends and industry associates between "dealing".. or before/after the show.

since there was only one woman there, this story is far fetched. 

jk, don't feel too bad. he's always overpriced IMO. whatever you were looking at, i'm sure you'll find it elsewhere cheaper. 

14 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

400 smelly dudes, one woman, and two rock stars. great show-- very crowded though. moving to a bigger venue would be a great move if possible! very glad i went- 

IMG_4313.jpg

I watched you guys take this picture. Would have said hello if I knew. 

What a fantastic convention!  A big thank you to Terry for sponsoring it!  A big hello to Dr. Love, Inaflash, Silver, Sacentaur, TriColorBrian, RickNeatStuff, RareHighGrade, MusterMark, dem1138 and a few others I can't remember at the moment.  I was so busy talking and gabbing and doing the "show and tell" that the day almost seems like a blur.  I bought a few books and made many notes of others. I didn't even get to visit every dealer's table.  I also wanted to ask Robot Man a few things, but I lost track of time.  Oh well, I guess I have to do it on the boards.

The Good Stuff:  The show has a wide variety of books, reasonable ticket prices, free parking, nice weather, clean venue and good eateries within a 10 minute drive.  For me, it is also fun to talk about kitchen remodels with other boardies.

The Bad Stuff:  Quite a few attendees had to wait in long lines to get in.  Also, the line for CGC was quite long and slow.  If attendees had bought a pre-sale ticket, you entered any time you wanted, waited inside in an air conditioned waiting room and entered the dealers room at 9:15 AM.  For CGC, it really helps to do the paperwork ahead of time.  It took me no time to drop off my books with two copies of the packing slip.  Others spent considerable amount of time using a tablet type of device to slowly enter their information.

Here are a few shots of the day:

20190127_092944.jpg

20190127_092949.jpg

20190127_095930.jpg

20190127_095934.jpg

1 hour ago, oakman29 said:

. I wanted to meet you.....

Saturday's preview was like a forumite meet and greet. On Sunday, Robot Man had a nice mix of Atlas and discounted silver age DC and Marvels. I bought an interesting coverless first Vickie Vale Detective Comic but preferred not to have my pic taken at his booth. Terry Stroud was selling next to Mick R outside on the fresh air deck. Bought 2 CFA OA issues from Mick. 

9 hours ago, oakman29 said:

There are a few boardmembers here.

20190127_093742.jpg

I was taught that proper box diving should be done with "pinkies up".  So says "The Gentleman Collector".

Inaflash was explaining to Harley that high pricing does not promote more business, and that women have no place at a comic con.  Except maybe for cosplay.  Harley was skeptical about all these things, and had to check his phone for confirmation.

Another funtastic show, many thanks to Terry and the various dealers who setup. Seeing all the Boardies in attendance is always a treat. I’d love to see an expansion to a two-day show, but I suspect that Terry doesn’t want the hassle. 

The place was packed, and the selection of books across all genres was quite good. Bakers and notable romance remain strong. EC’s are on the upswing. Esoteric Golden Age continues with high demand. Bill Everett covers still are hot. I didn’t get a chance to check out any Silver Age, so no opinion there.

Made my best purchases from Harley, Brian Peets (A-1 Comics), Jeff (cmcfan), and Ted (Superworld). A few cool private transactions too, of course. This being my 40th year in the hobby, I really appreciate sellers who consistently take good care of me.

i did not know that CGC no longer accepts the usual forms, everything has to be entered online now. Too much of a hassle for a compact show like this, so I skipped making any submissions. Still a long line, so business as usual I suppose. 

As Bumble Kitty mentions above, ate dinner at Polly’s (no waiting) and enjoyed the meal and a slice of pie. :cloud9: