• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

help grading ASM 2 & 3

19 posts in this topic

Hi All,

Going to check out a comic found locally just wanted to get the communities thoughts on the grade and if there anything outstanding to watch out for and if there's any obvious restoration done. Thanks,

$_59.jpg

$_59-2.jpg

unfortunately no I will be going to see them personally and I have read the forum about how to spot restoration, the seller is saying he believes the grade to be gd/vg so 3.0 about I believe.

16 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

unfortunately no I will be going to see them personally and I have read the forum about how to spot restoration, the seller is saying he believes the grade to be gd/vg so 3.0 about I believe.

Lets call in the cavalry, @James J Johnson  &  @The Lions Den. Can any of you chaps see any signs of restoration? I know it's a long shot with the photos, but if anyone can do it, you can. Cheers.

15 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

From what I see on the photo's GD/VG 3.0 is what I was thinking before reading your post of what the seller thought the grade was.

these are the only other pictures of the comics don't know if they will help any more 

$_591.jpg

$_5912.jpg

3 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Lets call in the cavalry, @James J Johnson  &  @The Lions Den. Can any of you chaps see any signs of restoration? I know it's a long shot with the photos, but if anyone can do it, you can. Cheers.

I don't see any possible tells of restoration or their being trimmed based on those scans. Can't rule out any internal modifications or missing/replaced parts, but based on the scans, I see no cause for restoration or trimmed concern.

Even if there was color touch, based on the grades, the impact on restored value versus unrestored would be negligible.

Edited by James J Johnson

4 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Well Gnasher, I certainly appreciate your vote of confidence!  (worship) 

Of course, there are plenty of folks here with sharp eyes and lots of experience---I'm humbled and honored that you included me in that group. As the Cowardly Lion once said: "Shucks folks, I'm speechless..."  lol 

54 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

I don't see any possible tells of restoration or their being trimmed based on those scans. Can't rule out any internal modifications or missing/replaced parts, but based on the scans, I see no cause for restoration or trimmed concern.

Even if there was color touch, based on the grades, the impact on restored value versus unrestored would be negligible.

I would not disagree with your assessment of resto on these books, however, I would debate your generalized comment on valuation. Even in low grades, especially with trimming, it has more than a negligible effect on value. Of course I am thinking in terms of percentage and you may be thinking absolute dollars, in which case we are both correct.

Edited by Bomber-Bob

1 hour ago, Krishosein said:

Thanks everyone for all the feedback everyone.

Sorry I'm a little late to the party. :(

I agree with all the advice you've already received. If I may add anything, it'd be for you to proceed very cautiously in this endeavor. Vintage books like these can certainly be a bit of a slippery slope when it comes to restoration. To me, it's rare when they don't have some form of artificial "preservation."

Just think about how old these books are and how many hands they may have passed through. If you have the opportunity to inspect them closely, take all the time necessary to do so. Try and get the best lighting possible when you do, and don't be afraid to use alternative light sources (such as natural daylight) if you can. Look for anything out of the ordinary, including large (or small) tape repair to the cover, pages or centerfold, extra staples or staple replacement, pages or coupons missing, obvious signs of trimming to the cover or the pages, amateur color touch, etc. If you find one form of restoration (such as color touch) be on high alert for other types as well.

Keep in mind that these books most likely have a completely different history and therefore they must be treated as such. If you have a good magnifying glass, use it to closely examine the books, especially the edges of the cover and pages. Vintage books have certain telltale signs of authenticity. Examine the "dot matrix" patterns on the cover---it's a great way to detect color touch. Look for minute cutting flaws on the edges of the pages and make sure those flaws match the minute flaws on the cover; if they don't, your Spidey sense may start to tingle. As one of my friends used to say: "Every book is trimmed, it's just a matter of who trimmed it." Look and feel for dried glue on the spine or the edges of the cover---in those days, it was one of the cheapest and easiest ways to fix spine splits and tears.

And If you have the opportunity, please take better close-up photos of the cover and interior of both books and post them here so we can all look them over. 

I hope this helps, and good luck!   :wishluck:

Edited by The Lions Den
More stuff

3 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Not to disagree but doesn't the bottom edge of the #2 look particularly sharp and unscathed of wear ? 

For lack of images large and defined enough to avoid pixilation when enlarged even to a minimum degree, going just by these images, there's no asymmetry between the top and bottom edges of the #2 that I can detect. The scope of the artwork, where it's cut off by the edges, indicates to me a book within the normal size range top to bottom. The rounding of the corners appears to be consistent with the overall wear. Of course, you can't absolutely rule out trim basing your observations on what amounts to weak images of the front cover only, but IMO, everything looks OK.

Hi All,

Thanks for all the help and advice. I was able to take home the 2 books plus some others in a multiple comic deal that I feel is fair. after inspecting them closely I would put them more towards the 2.0 range. 

I'll try to get some better pictures up soon of what I found. I was able to get 2 copies of ASM #2, ASM #3, ASM #6, ASM #9 

ASM #2  - detached cover at bottom, spine split (2.0) grade probably

ASM #2 (second copy) - had two pieces of tape on inside cover not near the spine and Cover not detached (2.5) - not sure what CGC policy on tape is. (would it be considered resto) - 

ASM #3 - spine split bottom of cover detached, back cover had a hole that looks filled a I saw the fuzzy on the hole is about .5" width and 0.25" high (might consider that getting removed) so I don't get Purple label (2.0)

ASM #6 - normal wear and tear no spine splits, no detach, no tears, no colour touch detected (3.0)

ASM #9 - spine split bottom cover detached, no resto seen (2.5)

all five books 3800 Cad. (2660US) I think that's a good deal as I wont get killed with ebay with the fees, import charges etc..(lives in Toronto Ontario Canada) - I also gave the books a conservative assessment for the grade, I guess we will see what CGC says as I will send these down to CGC later on.

I will try to get better pics but I really don't want to open up the comics to often as not to damage them further or cause the spine split to increase. 

If anyone has any advice about how to get the highest grade or any tips before sending them to CGC please let me know. 

Most of this will be going to my collection to try to finish a 1-10 ASM run. I need #4,#5, #7 and #10

Here are some quick pics I took when I first grabbed the comics I’ll get some more and close ups later 

8E00D756-2992-4D2E-B3E3-F3003B030558.jpeg

5B449236-E679-47FF-8397-4E2056C63934.jpeg

9F4E4D4A-D808-431D-9090-C168E118182B.jpeg

BE914F09-E5BE-4669-A4AA-FF7684F8D5F7.jpeg

D4A7E44E-723B-4DCA-95C0-149EE10712D2.jpeg