• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Grade is a Reader Copy?
1 1

What Grade is A Reader Copy?   

49 members have voted

1. 1. In your opinion, what grade level do you consider to be a Reader Copy?

• Gold 2.0 and below
    • Gold 4.0 and below
    • Gold 6.0 and below
    • Gold 8.0 and below
    • Gold 9.6 and below
    • Silver 2.0 and below
    • Silver 4.0 and below
    • Silver 6.0 and below
    • Silver 8.0 and below
    • Silver 9.6 and below
    • Bronze/Copper 2.0 and below
    • Bronze/Copper 4.0 and below
    • Bronze/Copper 6.0 and below
    • Bronze/Copper 8.0 and below
    • Bronze/Copper 9.6 and below
    • They're all Reader Copies
    • Why would you want to read a comic?

24 posts in this topic

Title is simple enough. As I usually swim in the shallow end of collecting pool the majority of my key books would be considered "Reader copies" by some eventhough they may cost a few hundred dollars in the grade they are in. I'm wondering what the majority of forumites would consider a Reader Copy?

Edited by Krydel4

28 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

It really depends on the book itself.

Detective Comics 27 ? A 2.0 would certainly be a keeper.

Anything usually in 2.0 or under would be a reader.

I think it more depends on your level of financial security. An FF #1 2.0 is about $4000 or more. I'm not flipping through that on a whim. Unless I'm sitting in my 100% Corithian leather chair and lighting my cigars with hundreds.?

Edited by Krydel4
Clarity

6 minutes ago, Krydel4 said:

I think it more depends on your level of financial security. An FF #1 2.0 is about $4000. I'm not flipping through that on a whim. Unless I'm sitting in my 100% Corithian leather chair and lighting my cigars with hundreds.?

Absolutely. 

here's another thought. 

There's a floor to a "reader" as well. (We've been talking ceiling)

I wouldnt try to read some of my low grade GA books for fear of them detaching or other issues occurring due to handling.

And as others have said, price matters to. There is no "reader copy" of Action 1. Cause I wouldnt dare leaf through a copy for fear of damaging it.

When I hear "reader copy" I think it is meant to signal "not worth grading" (which varies depending on book and era). 

Modern reader copies are probably 9.0s (unless they are variants/keys) maybe even 9.2-4s

Bronze/Copper 7.0-8.0 are readers  

Silver? 5.0-6.0 are readers (though lots of them are still worth grading at that point)

Golden? Structurally sound 4.0s might be readers, but they're still in many cases slab-able. 

10 minutes ago, Pontoon said:

When I see a a book described as a reader copy, I think of a low grade copy but not one so poor it will fall apart in your hands.

I consider any of my books graded PR 0.5 - GD 2.0 to be a reader copy and wanting to complete my runs and collecting on a budget reading copies are what I look for these days on the higher priced early issues. 

(Just watched a JIM 25 FR 1.0 sell for $90.00 on a eBay auction, out of my price range)

CAUTION!!! For those of you that are "faint of heart" do not read below...

For low grade readers that  are "so poor it will fall apart in your hands" I have no problem using tape and have numerous times and will continue to in the future.

IMO on a book like that tape cannot make it any worse, only better, tape will keep a fragile book from "falling apart" as easily when handled and read, All copies of a book are worth saving.

Don't get me wrong, If I happened to come upon an Action 1, TEC 27, Showcase #4, AF 15, ASM 1, F.F. 1, Hulk 1, etc. in very low grade that was falling apart I would not tape it, I would have it slabbed so it would never be touched by human hands again.

23 minutes ago, marvelmaniac said:

For low grade readers that  are "so poor it will fall apart in your hands" I have no problem using tape and have numerous times and will continue to in the future.

IMO on a book like that tape cannot make it any worse, only better, tape will keep a fragile book from "falling apart" as easily when handled and read, All copies of a book are worth saving.

Applying tape to a comic isn't saving it, it has the potential to cause more damage.

Unless you are talking about archival tape.

If I hear someone describe a book as a reader I think of 2.0 and under.  Really doesn't matter what age it is the term "reader" copy is a grade people don't worry about damaging and anything below 2.0 can't really get hurt by reading it and inflicting an additional small spine tick or bend.

To me, a reader is an easily replaceable book that is not worth slabbing.

This would include the vast majority of Bronze to modern books in Fine and down.

I would include the vast majority of Silver books in VG and down.

It would include a whole heck of a lot of funny animal, Disney, classics illo., western, tv/movie, funny people, strip reprint, cartoon, etc. Golden books in VG down.

But, there are certainly some books, especially in the GA, which are not a "reader" in any condition.  

4 hours ago, mackenzie999 said:

Reader to me is a comic that could absorb the wear and tear of casual reading without changing grade.

This is pretty much it. Or perhaps "without changing the value." For an insignificant book, a knock down from, say a 5.5 to a 5.0 may make no difference in the value.

It really depends on the collector-- some folks are very OCD about condition, others are little less picky.

I define a reader copy as one you can read and probably not hurt the value on-- they should be cheaper to buy and when sold as "reader copies"- you should not get upset about what grade they are in when you get them. The pictures/scans tell the story. Some sellers use it as a way to avoid the work of describing the flaws of a book-- when there are many flaws. Be sure to check that they include the word "complete" though -- as some readers are missing parts. If you sell me a reader you said is complete-- it better have the full book without any cutouts or missing pages.

The age of the book and rarity factor in for me as well. I don't really collect GA so my guess there is around 2.0 and down. Silver - I usually look at 3.5 and lower as reader copies. Bronze - 4.5 and lower. I don't really deal with Modern but I typically think most of those books should be very high grade to be collectible so anything under 6.0 is most likely a reader for those collectors.

Readers are awesome imo -- they can really help you complete a collection and should not be dismissed. I've never had anything slabbed (or plan to do so) so being able to read a comic is sort of a given to me. Just be careful.

Edited by 01TheDude

On ‎2018‎/‎10‎/‎18 at 9:27 PM, kav said:

SOMEONE THINKS A GA 8.0 IS A READER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have read several of my golden age comics, and some of them are 8.0

I know how to be careful with a book.

That said I wouldn't read a copy of Detective 27. So the value of the book / rarity of the book makes a difference.

7 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

I have read several of my golden age comics, and some of them are 8.0

I know how to be careful with a book.

That said I wouldn't read a copy of Detective 27. So the value of the book / rarity of the book makes a difference.

But a reader copy means you also have the same GA book in higher grade right?

57 minutes ago, kav said:

But a reader copy means you also have the same GA book in higher grade right?

Not necessarily. To me Reader Copy = a copy I am willing to read whether it is the only copy I have.

7 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

Not necessarily. To me Reader Copy = a copy I am willing to read whether it is the only copy I have.

I will read a 9.6 but I dont consider it a reader copy.  To me reader copy means a copy of a book you cant afford in decent cond but still want to read.