• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When Will CGC Grade Treasury Size Comics?

13 posts in this topic

Magazine size is 8 3/8” x 10 7/8".

Marvel Treasury Edition is 10" x 14".

Life Magazine is 10-7/16” x 13-5/16” to a minimum size of 10-3/16” x 13-1/16” (and everything in between).

All I know is that CGC can do comic book magazines and Sport Illustrated and Playboy magazine from 1953 to present. I really don't know if they will able to encapsulate oversized books like Life Magazine and Treasury. I never have seen one. You need to call CGC.

CGC does not slab treasuries and probably never will. The tooling costs required to make a new slab that size are astronomical and the market too small to justify the cost.

I'm rather glad they don't, since if they did slab them most likely nice copies would be harder to find and more expensive.

Edited by Dick Pontoon

If they performed a net present value technique to assess its viability and found a negative value then the capital project would collect dust. They should be able to depreciate the value of the tooling to diminish taxes as well.

I know they do not slab treasury size, but CGC may have plans in the future and it would be nice to know their strategic mission--the future goals. All successful businesses have them. Save those treasuries.

12 hours ago, Pontoon said:

CGC does not slab treasuries and probably never will. The tooling costs required to make a new slab that size are astronomical and the market too small to justify the cost.

I'm rather glad they don't, since if they did slab them most likely nice copies would be harder to find and more expensive.

Finding high grade (nm or better) copies of most of the DC’s is incredibly tough already

I used to think I wanted CGC to slab these as well but I’ve become indifferent to the idea. I have some incredible copies of these from an OO purchase, but I know they are a niche collectible and the while they can be rare or cool, few fetch enough dollars to make slabbing them worthwhile. I have all of mine in mylars and rigid backing boards, they present beautifully. If I were to ever sell any, I don’t imagine the price I could get would be any greater if they were slabbed. The only advantage graded copies would have for me is I wouldn’t have to be disappointed by such poor grading when I bought one raw online. Also, the other grading company is grading them, but not encasing them. I bought one like that and was pleased with the result. 

Here’s another Halloween beauty.

c23.jpg

Edited by Silver

On 10/18/2018 at 8:07 PM, Dr. A said:

What is CGC's position on grading treasury since comics (and Life Mags)? It seems like it is possible since posters are being graded and encapsulated--and they are much larger. 

Thank you

Call 1-800 CGC.......