• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay Sellers - To offer returns or not?
1 1

19 posts in this topic

I do offer returns on eBay up to 30 days in order to take advantage of the Top Rated Seller or Power Seller discount on listing fees (I cant remember which program it applies to) and as Cozmo-One said I might as well get the discount because even without offering returns an item can be returned regardless.

Knock on wood, my return rate has been less than 1% so it hasn't been a problem but I also display multiple images, take care in packing and when dealing with raw books grade conservatively. 

Edited by pjray55
grammar

33 minutes ago, pjray55 said:

I do offer returns on eBay up to 30 days in order to take advantage of the Top Rated Seller or Power Seller discount on listing fees (I cant remember which program it applies to) and as Cozmo-One said I might as well get the discount because even without offering returns an item can be returned regardless.

Knock on wood, my return rate has been less than 1% so it hasn't been a problem but I also display multiple images, take care in packing and when dealing with raw books grade conservatively. 

Can you give more details of how offering returns helps you?  I just became a Power Seller.  I don’t offer returns but I know this means nothing if a seller really wants to return something.  I haven’t been charged listing fees in ages but I’d like to save on FVF.  I don’t pay for a store.  Thank you

Edited by Heronext

6 minutes ago, Heronext said:

Can you give more details of how offering returns helps you?  I just became a Power Seller.  I don’t offer returns but I know this means nothing if a seller really wants to return something.  I haven’t been charged listing fees in ages but I’d like to save on FVF.  I don’t have pay for a store.  Thank you

I just verified and the benefit is part of being a Top Rated Plus Seller.  For maintaining that level I receive 10% off of my Final Value Fees for every listing I post that offers at least 30 days returns and 1 day handling.

1 hour ago, pjray55 said:

I just verified and the benefit is part of being a Top Rated Plus Seller.  For maintaining that level I receive 10% off of my Final Value Fees for every listing I post that offers at least 30 days returns and 1 day handling.

Im not sure how ebay nominates a Top Seller. I was recently made a Top Seller, but I only offer returns on some items (non-comic), but all my comics now are no return policy. And my shipping times are 4 day processing.

7 minutes ago, moemaya said:

Im not sure how ebay nominates a Top Seller. I was recently made a Top Seller, but I only offer returns on some items (non-comic), but all my comics now are no return policy. And my shipping times are 4 day processing.

you can still be recognized as a Top Rated Seller and not offer returns and offer 4-day processing / handling you just wont get that 10% discount on Final Value Fees.

slabbed: no returns.  c'mon, it's professionally graded, that's where i draw the line on being nice & reasonable...

raw: I offer the minimum 14 day return, but have NEVER had a book returned (probably 1,000 individual units sold in maybe 200 auctions over the past 5 years...)

But, to make this work, I use 'bomb-proof bullet-proof' packaging up the wazoo AND really truly genuinely grade conservatively.  I try to be as harsh as possible, and then often knock it down another 1/2 grade for good measure.  Only once did I have to give a refund for a flaw I missed, but I also do it as a hobby not to put food on the table, so that kinda makes it easier to go with the flow...

Aren't returns required now?

I don't have a choice when listing, well I do, but it's either 7 day or 14 day return...no "none" option.

I am a 100% top seller or whatever they call it.

Far less than 1% returns.   I did have one big book some time ago that the buyer had remorse and an angry wife and he started a claim before the book even arrived to him.   I understood his situation but like the boards here, if I say "I'll Take It" that's the end of it, no matter the circumstance I will stand by my word.   I accepted his return, blocked him as a bidder for future auctions, was refunded seller fees, relisted it and it went for about 1/3 more than the guy had paid for it the first time.

In mail order, the longer the return period you offer, the fewer returns you get. It sounds counter-intuitive but it works.  Tell someone they have a week to return it and they will scutinize it quicker. Tell them they have sixty days and half the time they misplace it before they can return it.

On 6/5/2020 at 12:34 PM, shadroch said:

In mail order, the longer the return period you offer, the fewer returns you get. It sounds counter-intuitive but it works.  Tell someone they have a week to return it and they will scutinize it quicker. Tell them they have sixty days and half the time they misplace it before they can return it.

This is something I learned a lot in marketing courses - if a restaurant emails its customers regularly a coupon, most won’t use it but they feel good will and start coming more often.  We have a local restaurant that ran a Facebook ad offering 25% off, it got a lot of shares and buzz in our area, but I suspect most people didn’t bother to print out the coupon and still wanted to try it out.

Could be something similar here with returns.  I’d feel less suspicious of a seller if I knew they offered returns.