• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Young Romance Comics Vol 1 #1 1947
1 1

40 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Gnasher said:

I see it as a solid 4.0 , down mostly to the spine wear with the c/b . There's possibly a 4.5 in the offing.

That's what I was thinking. I'm still new to this grading thing, so I wasn't really sure.  And I saw some posts talking about different grading standards for Golden, silver and bronze age comics.

At this grade, it looks like it's only worth a around a couple hundred bucks per Overstreet. I'm guessing it would be easier for me to sell it raw than sending it off for grading.

Anyways, I appreciate your input! :)

Edited by captain_em

2 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

Great Kirby cover! I'm in the VG range as well...4.0 - 4.5...

Yes, great cover! Kirby's my favorite! The only reason I bought this comic is for the Kirby art!

I wasn't a Golden Age collector while I was collecting, but I saw this at a convention 30+ years ago, and i't must have been pretty cheap as I was on a small budget. 

I haven't seen it for awhile, since I last re-bagged and boarded. It was nice to hold it again and really appreciate it.

And thanks for your input!

2 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I just see an accumulation of small stuff, no major flaws. I don't like that cigarette burn (?) but still I can see this at 5.0 on a good day. Nice book !

Pretty sure it's not a cigarette burn. There's no hole, and the spot doesn't appear to be brittle. Looks like something dripped on it.  But, I'm not sure if it make's much difference with all the other things going on.

Thanks for looking and replying!

1 hour ago, captain_em said:

At this grade, it looks like it's only worth a around a couple hundred bucks per Overstreet. I'm guessing it would be easier for me to sell it raw than sending it off for grading.

Overstreet is off.  YR 1 is and always has been a romance grail.  And it depends how it looks in the case.  This should be a nicely presenting 4.0, and it will do way better in the slab than raw since it's weighted defect wise on the back cover.  $27 for grading, add some for shipping, you really should send it in.  imho of course.

16 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

Overstreet is off.  YR 1 is and always has been a romance grail.  And it depends how it looks in the case.  This should be a nicely presenting 4.0, and it will do way better in the slab than raw since it's weighted defect wise on the back cover.  $27 for grading, add some for shipping, you really should send it in.  imho of course.

Thanks for the great information. I wonder why it's still so inexpensive if it's a grail.

2 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

a 4.0 C1 purple went for $600 a year ago and a 3.0 went for $335 in April.  Captain, you've got access to GPA?

No. Never heard of it. I haven't been an active collector for a long time and haven't kept up with much comic news or business. I pretty much just go see the movies and watch the TV shows. I'm organizing my collection, getting it ready to be sold. If you want to send me info or a link, that would be great. Thanks!

On 10/22/2018 at 9:27 AM, captain_em said:

No. Never heard of it. I haven't been an active collector for a long time and haven't kept up with much comic news or business. I pretty much just go see the movies and watch the TV shows. I'm organizing my collection, getting it ready to be sold. If you want to send me info or a link, that would be great. Thanks!

https://comics.gpanalysis.com/

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 2:54 PM, captain_em said:

Yes, great cover! Kirby's my favorite! The only reason I bought this comic is for the Kirby art!

I wasn't a Golden Age collector while I was collecting, but I saw this at a convention 30+ years ago, and i't must have been pretty cheap as I was on a small budget. 

I haven't seen it for awhile, since I last re-bagged and boarded. It was nice to hold it again and really appreciate it.

And thanks for your input!

You're welcome! 

Actually, after looking at it again, I'd bump it up a notch. 4.5 - 5.0...

Anyone have an opinion on pressing this book? Would it bump the grade up if I have it slabbed?

Also- Would cleaning get the pencil marks off the Lady in Red's leg? Or is the comic too old?

Edited by captain_em