• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Young Romance Comics Vol 1 #1 1947
1 1

40 posts in this topic

On 10/24/2018 at 4:17 PM, captain_em said:

Anyone have an opinion on pressing this book? Would it bump the grade up if I have it slabbed?

Also- Would cleaning get the pencil marks off the Lady in Red's leg? Or is the comic too old?

A press would probably help. I would NOT mess with the pencil marks. Erased pencil looks worse. You can still see either an imprint or a discoloration. A loss of color is a worse flaw than a pencil mark. Note, I do not like the pencil mark, it is not original, but I dislike erased pencil marks more.

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

A press would probably help. I would NOT mess with the pencil marks. Erased pencil looks worse. You can still see either an imprint or a discoloration. A loss of color is a worse flaw than a pencil mark. Note, I do not like the pencil mark, it is not original, but I dislike erased pencil marks more.

Great advice. Thanks!

On 10/24/2018 at 5:17 PM, captain_em said:

Anyone have an opinion on pressing this book? Would it bump the grade up if I have it slabbed?

Also- Would cleaning get the pencil marks off the Lady in Red's leg? Or is the comic too old?

Any other opinions? Thanks!

On 10/27/2018 at 7:15 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

This is the best advice really, Cap'n, imo.

Initial thought it was 5.0 but considering the spine color breaks, cover dings/bends, and the back cover issues I'm leaning toward 4.5. I've been told pressing takes out non colorbreaking creases and bends but not sure about it's cleaning potential. Imo this might get a 0.5 bump in grade w a press. 

On 10/27/2018 at 2:15 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

On 11/16/2018 at 5:21 AM, KobaltDog said:

Initial thought it was 5.0 but considering the spine color breaks, cover dings/bends, and the back cover issues I'm leaning toward 4.5. I've been told pressing takes out non colorbreaking creases and bends but not sure about it's cleaning potential. Imo this might get a 0.5 bump in grade w a press. 

On 11/16/2018 at 1:51 AM, Gnasher said:

This is the best advice really, Cap'n, imo.

Hope I'm not bothering you guys, but I've got another question.

This comic is part of the first batch I've ever sent off for grading, I notice that pressing and cleaning are part of the same option/service. Is pencil mark removal a part of cleaning? If it is, how do I request that they leave the pencil marks alone?

Thanks!

16 minutes ago, captain_em said:

This comic is part of the first batch I've ever sent off for grading, I notice that pressing and cleaning are part of the same option/service. Is pencil mark removal a part of cleaning? If it is, how do I request that they leave the pencil marks alone?

Thanks!

Bob has already referenced the pencil marks, and I agree they should be left.

Here's a link to a Batman #9 sent in by fellow boardie D84. First post is the comic before cleaning, if you read through you'll find the finished result. 

The decision really is yours to make. Just include a note to the effect they should be left

Edited by Gnasher

15 minutes ago, captain_em said:

Thanks!

Usually, 'cleaning' refers to a dry eraser in the white areas, especially on the Back Cover near the spine area which are often 'dirty'. I don't think they will touch the pencil marks but who knows ?(shrug)  

13 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Usually, 'cleaning' refers to a dry eraser in the white areas, especially on the Back Cover near the spine area which are often 'dirty'. I don't think they will touch the pencil marks but who knows ?(shrug)  

According to D84's experience they cleaned everything. He admits he should have requested they leave it.

16 hours ago, Yorick said:

I don't see enough non-color breaking bends to make this worth the press.  It would really suck if a staple popped while they press it...  Is the paper strong enough to handle that?

Wow! I have no idea how to make a call on that. This will be the first time I've sent comics off for pressing and grading. They're the experts and I assumed they would forego pressing if there's a chance of staple pop. Are you looking at my comic in the initial post or are you looking at the different copy someone else posted above? And what are the best steps to take on my part to prevent/minimize staple popping?

On 11/20/2018 at 12:02 PM, captain_em said:

Wow! I have no idea how to make a call on that. This will be the first time I've sent comics off for pressing and grading. They're the experts and I assumed they would forego pressing if there's a chance of staple pop. Are you looking at my comic in the initial post or are you looking at the different copy someone else posted above? And what are the best steps to take on my part to prevent/minimize staple popping?

Yes, I am looking at your copy.  I would imagine that CCS would contact you if they foresee any problem with pressing.  Basically, it comes down to tears around the staple(s) and the quality/integrity of the paper.  I am not sure of CCS's method, but pressing the book as a whole might cause a staple pop (or trying to fix a spine roll).

I've had staples pop during transit to CGC for grading. Sometimes the book has just been loved too much!

On 11/21/2018 at 6:17 PM, Yorick said:

I've had staples pop during transit to CGC for grading. Sometimes the book has just been loved too much!

I'm leaning strongly towards driving down to CGC and personally delivering my comics instead of using the mail service!

36 minutes ago, captain_em said:

I'm leaning strongly towards driving down to CGC and personally delivering my comics instead of using the mail service!

I have done that with some high end books because i don't trust all the services completely (thumbsu