• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My first piece of gold- MMC 17
1 1

16 posts in this topic

Welcome to the boards! Once you gone down the GA path, you may have trouble finding your way back. :)

CCS should be willing to press the book unless they think doing so will cause the cover to become detached or if think the pages are brittle, which they don't appear to be.

I agree once you start with Gold hard to look back.I would leave the book as is well loved and readable so whats not to like.Sometimes the fix isn't worth the expense to the book but is up to the owner which is you.Congrats on picking a good one (thumbsu

That was my first Timely, too! It’s missing the CF, so it always survived my ill-advised purges. 

MMC 17 is a great issue for a collector on a budget looking for an example of WWII era Gold. It’s the first super-hero team-up in Marvel history, a staple for The House of Ideas. It’s got a Schomburg war cover, a genre in itself. S&K add a Vision story. Then there’s that bonus Captain America ad, published with the same cover date as Cap #1!

I say you picked a winner!

2 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

That was my first Timely, too! It’s missing the CF, so it always survived my ill-advised purges. 

MMC 17 is a great issue for a collector on a budget looking for an example of WWII era Gold. It’s the first super-hero team-up in Marvel history, a staple for The House of Ideas. It’s got a Schomburg war cover, a genre in itself. S&K add a Vision story. Then there’s that bonus Captain America ad, published with the same cover date as Cap #1!

Plus there's a 1940 story of the Japanese invading an American territory -- Alaska!

Edited by bluechip

9 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

HAHAHA awesome- most of what you said are reasons I picked this one and some more! I spoke to my presser he said he can press a lot of it out safely

4 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

Once I bought my first Gold I never considered a Silver Marvel again 

That is what I am afraid of...

26 minutes ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

HAHAHA awesome- most of what you said are reasons I picked this one and some more! I spoke to my presser he said he can press a lot of it out safely

That is what I am afraid of...

Don’t be afraid ?  Comic collecting gets turned up to an 11 !!!!!:headbang:

Grats on your first Timely!  In golden age the Timely rabbit hole isn’t as bad as the DC one.  Marvel 1 and Cap 1 are the only books priced higher than your friendly neighborhood Amazing Fantasy 15.  Although Cap 3 and Marvel Mystery 9 are getting up there.  

MMC 17 is solid!  Has so much going for it.  

On 10/21/2018 at 2:32 PM, rjpb said:

Congrats on your first Timely. That copy looks like a good candidate for pressing even if you prefer not to have it slabbed, as it would likely improve eye-appeal. 

Yea off to the presser it went... sent him some pics and he seemed excited to work on it... I will post some pics when it gets back

Thanks to all the responses feel pretty good about the pick up and scared of what's to come (caught myself perusing some more on the auction sites..)

9 hours ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

Yea off to the presser it went... sent him some pics and he seemed excited to work on it... I will post some pics when it gets back

Thanks to all the responses feel pretty good about the pick up and scared of what's to come (caught myself perusing some more on the auction sites..)

I can tell you firsthand that you just stepped onto the Staircase of No Return.  My collection looked nothing like it does now a couple of years ago.  @jimjum12 sold me a This Magazine is Haunted 14, and I haven't been able to focus on silver or bronze since.