• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pressing Problems

2 posts in this topic

Has anyone had realistic problems with the pressing done by CCS?  Just recently I got back a Greg Horn Metal 6 cover, which I sent in for cleaning and pressing.  Had the book signed at MegaCon by Capullo, Snyder and Horn.  The cover is super glossy I was worried about fingerprints which is the only reason I had it sent to CCS...for the cleaning.  Horn doesn't send out bad books, but after having 3 different sets of hands on it, I was worried about fingerprints.  Got it back with a huge ding on top of the spine...still fluffy and popped out off the book!  Obviously not pressed and totally news to me.  Now I'm about to get more books back from MegaCon (gave my books to CGC for Jim Lee and Campbell signing), which I had sent in for cleaning and pressing because I didn't know who would be handling the physical books...two of the books are coming back with "indent to top front cover" (which I though could be pressed out, not blaming anyone for them) and one with fingerprints!  Any thoughts?

IMAG4291.jpg

IMAG4294.jpg

IMAG4299.jpg

IMAG4300.jpg

Untitled.jpg

I don't clearly see any problems with the clean and press. A couple of your pictures show clear damage to corners of the paper. Pressing can't fix ragged, torn paper.  Spine stress lines that break color cannot be fixed, period. Often times graders notes will indicate "light spine stress lines" and those can't be fixed either. Just a result of the paper being folded.  Some of the confusion over creases and stress lines breaking color has to do with the color of the paper. White is the ABSENCE of color.  So you won't see "breaks color" in white areas for creases and stress lines. But that doesn't mean the paper wasn't damaged. If there had been any color, damaged paper would be listed as "breaking color"> 

Fingerprints are more complicated. Light smudges from handling can often be buffed/cleaned up. But real, honest to goodness fingerprints cannot usually be removed. Comic books are printed with oil based inks. Our fingertips are slightly oily. The oil on our fingertips can mix with and soften the printer ink, forming quite perfect fingerprints. In areas that have color, this done and over. It can't be fixed. in white areas it is sometimes possible to remove such, but not always.