• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this SCS or a poor CGC slab job?

9 posts in this topic

I haven’t been collecting comics very long and received a newly graded comic in the mail from CGC and the comic is not square, meaning the pages are fanned out slightly.  All my other CGC graded comics I own are square.  

I also noted a small bend along the lower back edge although the cover is not creased.  I’m concerned on the back side lower left bend in the second picture below.  The cover is not creased, but it appears the cover was longer than the pages and it has now curved around the pages to create a bend.  The opposite front cover has slight overhang as well but the front cover is flat.  

Is this an example of a poor seal/slab?  Does this constitute SCS (there doesn’t appear to be damage to the comic)?  Is it normal for cover overhang to bend?  Should I consider having CGC press the comic to flatten the back cover?  Any insight for those of you who have comics graded regularly would be appreciated.

I am including a few pictures.

Thanks in advance.

5A50B93A-A0B8-4865-9F81-84218A6E137A.jpeg

767B3CEF-2E18-40B7-8578-AA9917E001C3.jpeg

Edited by Darxlot
Updated

Speaking as a seller who has subbed at least a couple dozen spider 300 in 9.8 your copy is within tolerances of a 9.8.  It’s normal for this book to have some degree of cover overhang from production.   Beautiful book, congratulations on your submission. 

Since you submitted the book, what did it look like when you sent it off ? Were the pages fanning, was the bend there ? Since it is in a 9.8 holder, I would not mess with it for fear of lowering the grade. If you don't like the looks of it, I would sell it and buy one more to your liking.

The bend was not there, but you never know during shipping.  

Thanks for the responses.  I will probably try a get another 9.8 copy down the road and sell this one off.  I’ve already come across two other ASM 300 9.8s and this one looked better overall.  If not for that bend, I’d be a happy camper.