• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ace Comic Con, Glendale AZ. Jan 11-13, 2019

26 posts in this topic

Here is an announcement link. Not as good as the first show but still pretty good.

Presales on tickets this week-end also.

I will have two booths packed again. Last year was much better than I expected. Hope this year is as well.

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 2:26 PM, stephenshamus12 said:

@robocard - Do not compare the incomplete lineup with the final lineup from last year. Let's discuss in a few weeks...

And the WWE lineup is top notch...

The refusal to bring guests back from last year is really hurting this line-up.

@inthehottub - I'm not sure there are too many events that repeat guests, but in my 20 years of running events (I've run nearly 200 Comic Cons, so I think I'm the #1 showrunner all-time in terms of total # of events) typically when you repeat guests, even great ones, they are typically down 40-60% revenue over the prior year. The only ones that it doesn't affect are events like Walking Dead or Vampire Diaries, the hardcore fan bases that turn out year after year. Even though the A+ names can cause excitement, 80% of fans are local and are not too keen on spending $100-200 on a repeat guest, and they want "new guests." I'm not sure if you are a showrunner yourself, but I'd like to hear your experience when you've repeated guests at your events. Thanks!

@inthehottub - Also there's an assumption that everyone you want to see is available to attend. As a showrunner, you would also know this is not the case in the majority of situations (probably more than 90%), and you have financial considerations as well (People want A+ talent, but in many cases complain about pricing once the guest is announced).

We pride ourselves on bringing guests that have never appeared or rarely appeared. We have a unicorn in Michael Fassbender, and I'm not sure you will ever see him again...And we have two other X-Men's First Appearances (both in Dark Phoenix as well), and Taron Egerton's first (and only one that I can see) event, as well....

Please share your own experiences on this, as well...

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 2:26 PM, stephenshamus12 said:

@robocard - Do not compare the incomplete lineup with the final lineup from last year. Let's discuss in a few weeks...

And the WWE lineup is top notch...

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 8:53 AM, inthehottub said:

The refusal to bring guests back from last year is really hurting this line-up.

You said let's discuss in a few weeks; I'm discussing.  I did not say it was a bad lineup. Could be made better by a few returning guest.

18 hours ago, stephenshamus12 said:

@inthehottub - I'm not sure there are too many events that repeat guests, but in my 20 years of running events (I've run nearly 200 Comic Cons, so I think I'm the #1 showrunner all-time in terms of total # of events) typically when you repeat guests, even great ones, they are typically down 40-60% revenue over the prior year. The only ones that it doesn't affect are events like Walking Dead or Vampire Diaries, the hardcore fan bases that turn out year after year. Even though the A+ names can cause excitement, 80% of fans are local and are not too keen on spending $100-200 on a repeat guest, and they want "new guests." I'm not sure if you are a showrunner yourself, but I'd like to hear your experience when you've repeated guests at your events. Thanks!

You are correct many events do not bring back repeat guests. Our own Phoenix Comic Fest also suffers from this. Other shows do bring guests back. Dallas Fan expo and Wizard World shows. 

repeat guests, even great ones, they are typically down 40-60% revenue over the prior year.

Very true. I suspect some of your top A listers from last year would fall in the %60 percent range.  Other guest would not.  Sebastian Stan  and Jon Bernthal  I feel would suffer little drop off. 

@inthehottub - Also there's an assumption that everyone you want to see is available to attend. As a showrunner, you would also know this is not the case in the majority of situations (probably more than 90%), and you have financial considerations as well (People want A+ talent, but in many cases complain about pricing once the guest is announced).

We pride ourselves on bringing guests that have never appeared or rarely appeared. We have a unicorn in Michael Fassbender, and I'm not sure you will ever see him again...And we have two other X-Men's First Appearances (both in Dark Phoenix as well), and Taron Egerton's first (and only one that I can see) event, as well....

Please share your own experiences on this, as well...

Availability may be an issue with many guests but refusal to contact guest because they were here last year is also an issue. I am not suggesting you bring back the A+ stars but some of the minor stars to boost your line up.

I am also looking at your comic creator list. The Last minute adds of Neal Adams and Todd McFarlane are very nice. But after that it is quite a drop off. I do not mean to diminish  the remaining guest but this line up could be boosted by the likes of John Romita Jr or Bob Layton.

I am not saying it is a bad line up, in fact it is good line up but could be made better with some returning guests sprinkled in. I cannot pretend to tell you who and how many returning guests would be profitable but I do believe that number is not 0.

I do have my ticket for Saturday. Looking forward to a good time and meeting new people.

Edited by inthehottub

I love the venue!! The dealers are spread out with plenty of walking room. The stands make the perfect area for autograph lines. 

You do bring guests that not only Phoenix Fan Fest would never bring but some that no other show will have and thank you for limiting autograph purchases making tickets available to almost everyone.

Your show last year and this year is a big bonus to comic book fans and it makes the Phoenix Comic Fest step up their game. A win win for the fans.

19 hours ago, stephenshamus12 said:

Yes I saw the exhibitor list but don't recognize any of those as GA dealers.  Was trying to see if anyone had information as far as past shows how much if any GA books will be there.   Would like to know before I make a decision to attend.

Edited by mstrange

1 hour ago, mstrange said:

Yes I saw the exhibitor list but don't recognize any of those as GA dealers.  Was trying to see if anyone had information as far as past shows how much if any GA books will be there.   Would like to know before I make a decision to attend.

Ed Robertson had some GA books when I saw him I think at the Vegas show earlier this summer.  The only other vendor I know is Dean from Kyrpton Comics out of Omaha.  He may have some GA books as well, but not many based on what I have seen of his inventory.   I have family in the San Tan Valley and visit them once to twice a year and have hit up pretty much most of the eastern valley comic book shops.  If you are not local I recommend checking out Greg's Comics.  He hides the good stuff in the back and I have boughten stuff from him several times.  

21 hours ago, SSkufan said:

Ed Robertson had some GA books when I saw him I think at the Vegas show earlier this summer.  The only other vendor I know is Dean from Kyrpton Comics out of Omaha.  He may have some GA books as well, but not many based on what I have seen of his inventory.   I have family in the San Tan Valley and visit them once to twice a year and have hit up pretty much most of the eastern valley comic book shops.  If you are not local I recommend checking out Greg's Comics.  He hides the good stuff in the back and I have boughten stuff from him several times.  

Yes, I do visit Greg's Comics when I am in town.  So, it sounds like this is not the Con for me as there will be little to no GA books for sale there. 

4 hours ago, mstrange said:

Yes, I do visit Greg's Comics when I am in town.  So, it sounds like this is not the Con for me as there will be little to no GA books for sale there. 

If you want GA stuff I highly recommend OAF con.  Probably has more GA stuff per square foot than any comic con in the U.S.