• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Am I the Only One...

41 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, the blob said:

The comic market in the 90s collapsed under the weight of a bazillion turok 1s and similar books, not under some shiney variants.

They didn't help though. 

Edited by october

13 hours ago, october said:

They didn't help though. 

Well, some of that weight was from gold foil and chromium, no doubt, but those were the usually the "regular", there weren't that many variants (compared to now) back then. few issues had one, they were reserved for special issues, and there was usually only 1, maybe 2, now it is every issue, a 1:10, 1:25, 1:100... Heck, 20 years later some of those variants, the ones with not crazy print runs, are actually worth something! My theory is that if you were a monthly comic buyer back then (A) half buying to read and (B) half buying to collect because you thought things might gain value, which was probably a lot of people, when you walked into a store in 1996/1997 onward and saw dozens or more of long boxes of overstock unsellable drek and all those books of a few years earlier in 4 for $1 or 10 for $1 boxes, you had to seriously re-think Part B of that equation, and if the stories/art were getting worse, Part A was impacted as well. I was a 5 or 6 book a month off the rack guy then, but I basically gave up when it became obvious everything I was paying cover price for was likely to go into the discount box. So off the rack buyers  got paired down to the 80-120,000 or so people in the USA who need their new comic fix every week and who are willing to pay extra to get it now and for sure.

15 minutes ago, the blob said:

Well, some of that weight was from gold foil and chromium, no doubt, but those were the usually the "regular", there weren't that many variants (compared to now) back then. few issues had one, they were reserved for special issues, and there was usually only 1, maybe 2, now it is every issue, a 1:10, 1:25, 1:100... Heck, 20 years later some of those variants, the ones with not crazy print runs, are actually worth something! My theory is that if you were a monthly comic buyer back then (A) half buying to read and (B) half buying to collect because you thought things might gain value, which was probably a lot of people, when you walked into a store in 1996/1997 onward and saw dozens or more of long boxes of overstock unsellable drek and all those books of a few years earlier in 4 for $1 or 10 for $1 boxes, you had to seriously re-think Part B of that equation, and if the stories/art were getting worse, Part A was impacted as well. I was a 5 or 6 book a month off the rack guy then, but I basically gave up when it became obvious everything I was paying cover price for was likely to go into the discount box. So off the rack buyers  got paired down to the 80-120,000 or so people in the USA who need their new comic fix every week and who are willing to pay extra to get it now and for sure.

walking into my LCS in 1990 and seeing multiple different versions of McFarlane's Spider-man #1 made me quit comics for 14 years. I don't feel I missed much from 1990-2004.

2 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

walking into my LCS in 1990 and seeing multiple different versions of McFarlane's Spider-man #1 made me quit comics for 14 years. I don't feel I missed much from 1990-2004.

That did not phase me at all. If I saw it for more books it probably would have. Of course, I didn't get back into comics in 1993 or thereabouts because I was interested in the new stuff, although I dabbled a little. I was there for old stuff and eventually broadened my habits.

20 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

"Fixed" what, exactly? It's 99.9% pure gold, and the MSRP on a non-graded replica is $5k, not $7k. You didn't fix anything.

Right, but you were referring to the slabbed 10.0, hence your comment about what it says on the label. Regardless, it's still 35 grams of gold, with a current market price of about $1,235.60. Even at 5k, that's 400% over spot price. If people are willing to pay that markup, or think they're cool, that's perfectly fine, but don't be surprised that others think it's  ridiculous. 

On 10/27/2018 at 12:32 PM, Foley said:

Right, but you were referring to the slabbed 10.0, hence your comment about what it says on the label. Regardless, it's still 35 grams of gold, with a current market price of about $1,235.60. Even at 5k, that's 400% over spot price. If people are willing to pay that markup, or think they're cool, that's perfectly fine, but don't be surprised that others think it's  ridiculous. 

News Flash: When you turn raw materials into art, they're worth more than just the elements of their medium...

I agree this is a collectible of the sort that seems designed for old people with a little extra money but too confused to discern a real collectible from a contrived one. My dad used to have a coin collection. Some of the coins had value. Others were fake 'coins' that had never been currency anywhere but were hocked on TV, little discs with eagles on them painted red, white, and blue, that sort of thing.

That said, my daughter wants to hang some of my ASM collection on her bedroom wall (it'll be her collection when I croak unless things get desperate). I have UV protected cases. I'm going to hang a selection of key issues, ASM #2, #3, #50, #121, #300 and so on. I think having this silver foil edition of AF #15 would be nice to fill that gap at the very start of the chronology, pending the day - if ever - that I am able to afford a bona fide AF #15 copy. With only 1,000 copies I suspect it will at the very least hold its value and it looks a lot better than other reprints I've seen. But then again, I also can't escape the feeling of falling for wildly_fanciful_statement.

Edited by NikG

I always defend the indefensible. There are so few of us true gullibleites left in the world. Paint gold or silver on it and I'm in. Wait until beanie babies make a come back. I will make hundreds of thousands. It is the reason I painted my wife's collection.