• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Fall Signature Auction
5 5

307 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, if I was flipping, it would not be the best idea to go right back to the same venue to try to resell your book.  doh!

^^

especially when you can see past sales results on same page as listing

Edited by Gotham Kid

On 10/27/2018 at 10:27 PM, tth2 said:

The Church CGC 9.6 Adventure #43 in this auction was sold on Heritage just 5 months ago! 

One of the reasons I don’t participate in auctions is the lingering specter of shill bidding. Also, could there be non-disclosed reserves?

The Church CGC 9.6 Adventure 43 is not being auctioned by Verzyl’s estate, earlier this year it was listed for sale on a major dealer’s website (allegedly “sold” for $22,500) before then being auctioned and allegedly selling for under 17k.

If Heritage does delete a non-paying account that was indeed a shill, big deal because the same entity could simply return under another shill. Non-paying bidders negatively impact the hobby just as much as a shill, which is exacerbated if/when they are one in the same. Such   non-sales should be removed from any data source.

And if a hidden reserve isn’t met, and the book is re-auctioned, then likewise any non-sale should be removed.

Clearly something is amiss. 

For the record, though I love early Adventures I do own the Larson CGC 9.6 of this particular book so I have no interest in bidding on or acquiring the Church copy, and the above comments are my opinions only.

Well, looks like this copy of Action 13 sold for $156,000:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Action Comics #13 (DC, 1939) CGC VF/NM 9.0 Cream to off-whitepages....

Not a bad price, but I thought it might have gone for a bit more than that.  Especially considering that the Atlantic City 9.2 graded copy managed to fetch $185,000 seven years ago way back in 2011.

2 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, looks like this copy of Action 13 sold for $156,000:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Action Comics #13 (DC, 1939) CGC VF/NM 9.0 Cream to off-whitepages....

Not a bad price, but I thought it might have gone for a bit more than that.  Especially considering that the Atlantic City 9.2 graded copy managed to fetch $185,000 seven years ago way back in 2011.

I am probably in the minority but I thought it looked like a soft 9.0 from the scans. Maybe it looks better in person. 

The book which I am surprised at right now is this one here which must be going at a record price already:

Books:Overstreet, Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide #1 First Print (RobertOverstreet, 1970) CGC NM- 9.2 White pages....

Already at $8,400 with the Heritage juice.  :whatthe:

Not sure if it has much more room to go though as this must be highest price by a long shot that I have ever seen for a copy of the book.  hm

43 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Some interesting results ...

You must mean like this Police Comics #1 which managed to fetched $9K or more than triple condition guide price:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Police Comics #1 (Quality, 1941) CGC FN- 5.5 White pages....

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Police Comics #1 (Quality, 1941) CGC FN- 5.5 White pages....

Seems to be substantially higher than where it has been selling for in the recent past.  But then again, this copy here seems to present much better than its assigned CGC 5.5 grade from what I can see on the front cover.  Unless they are whacking it for the pronounced and heavy dust shadow on the back cover which is supposedly the kind of defect which they did not used to grade as harsh for in the past before.  (shrug)

27 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

You must mean like this Police Comics #1 which managed to fetched $9K or more than triple condition guide price:

Seems to be substantially higher than where it has been selling for in the recent past.  But then again, this copy here seems to present much better than its assigned CGC 5.5 grade from what I can see on the front cover.  Unless they are whacking it for the pronounced and heavy dust shadow on the back cover which is supposedly the kind of defect which they did not used to grade as harsh for in the past before.  (shrug)

I think well deserved and I wouldn't have hesitated myself if I wasn't focusing on other books.  Plastic Man is still active in the DCEU and there are very few GA superhero first appearances from this era at these prices. At least for me, this book is about Plastic Man.

12 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I have to say, as a consignor, this auction has been pretty rough for me. 

If I were more of a buyer in this one I would have been pretty happy.

Sometimes you do well and sometimes you don't as a seller. This was one of the ones where you don't- at least for me. (shrug)

I only had one book consigned and it underperformed, alas.

Seems as if the books I wasn't particularly interested in went low and the books I was after went high.  I was high bidder last night on a bunch of books via proxy bids.  Checking the results, you'd need the Hubble telescope to see the hammer prices from my bids. Some of the OO Archies went high.  Not too surprising since they were mostly highest-graded with White pages.  Wish now that I'd gone higher on them. 

Also should probably have extended more for the Moon ... Girl ... Romance books -- so tough to find in decent condition.

I did end up with a couple of books.  

cap.jpg

sup.jpg