• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Fall Signature Auction
5 5

307 posts in this topic

36 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

I won something off Hakes :banana:

still need BatBoat, bat mobile, and Penguin. 

B4B7D2AF-7D68-4C25-A553-67F4B9E35F82.jpeg

Wow, major congrats on that! Super cool item! They always manage to score some killer pop culture items to auction. 

28 minutes ago, sagii said:

Wow, major congrats on that! Super cool item! They always manage to score some killer pop culture items to auction. 

For Aurora models they seem to constantly get in ones still sealed and prices are consistently reasonable (not cheap). 

17 hours ago, szavisca said:

Anyone else surprised at the seemingly low hammers on the high grade Marvel Mystery Comics?

I didn't think they were particularly low. Most of them were not the highest graded, just high grade. The spectacular 13 went for a ton. The others were all fair with some strong and some weak. I bid on six and was outbid by the same phone bidder on each. I imagine if someone was willing to punish bid the phone guy then the price results may have been higher, but the final placement results would not have changed.

32 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

I didn't think they were particularly low. Most of them were not the highest graded, just high grade. The spectacular 13 went for a ton. The others were all fair with some strong and some weak. I bid on six and was outbid by the same phone bidder on each. I imagine if someone was willing to punish bid the phone guy then the price results may have been higher, but the final placement results would not have changed.

Looking back over the listings I think you’re right.  There were several that went big.  I think I’ve just become too used to seeing the obscure low priced books  go 10 times+ guide.

There were a few of the 8.0-8.5s that only went 75-100% guide...but these books were already pricey so that doesn’t necessarily mean they did poorly, it just means OPG actually has it right on these, unlike 2/3s of the rest of GA books.

Edited by szavisca

3 minutes ago, szavisca said:

I think I’ve just become too used to seeing the obscure low priced books  go 10 times+ guide.

I think this phenomena is something we are all becoming too complacent with. We should be very careful not to let the large prices some folks are willing to pay on esoteric books sway us into justifying a heavy expenditure on an otherwise insignificant issue. It is interesting to see the varying viewpoints on this particular auction. I felt the prices were very strong, even on those books that were relisted from sales only a few months ago.

52 minutes ago, telerites said:

I won something in Hakes. I watched the HA but most of the time HA Sig Auctions are too nosebleed for me. 

I won something on Hakes too :shy: little bit of a tug of war and a wonky endless 10 minute warning (they need to work on that) but ultimately the other bidder walked away.

I too have not won a piece a HA Signature auction in recent years for the same reason. I fare much better in their Sunday auctions lately. 

On 11/15/2018 at 5:46 PM, szavisca said:
On 11/15/2018 at 2:41 PM, lou_fine said:

You must mean like this Police Comics #1 which managed to fetched $9K or more than triple condition guide price:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Police Comics #1 (Quality, 1941) CGC FN- 5.5 White pages....

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Police Comics #1 (Quality, 1941) CGC FN- 5.5 White pages....

Seems to be substantially higher than where it has been selling for in the recent past.  But then again, this copy here seems to present much better than its assigned CGC 5.5 grade from what I can see on the front cover.  Unless they are whacking it for the pronounced and heavy dust shadow on the back cover which is supposedly the kind of defect which they did not used to grade as harsh for in the past before.  (shrug)

The Billy Wright cgc 8.0 went for 12k about a year and a half  ago and that marked the last time anyone got this book at a bargain price.

Since then its been a 3-4 times guide book consistently even in very low grade.  You probably missed the voldy 1.8 slightly brittle going last weekend on HA for 4.2k... so this result was no surprise.

First appearance of Plastic Man and unsexy Quality  Phantom Lady... this has for years been a severely undervalued GA key only now getting it’s due.  I imagine it’s the terrible cover that’s held it back for so long.

Wow, good to hear that the sentiment for Police Comics 1 has turned more positive as of late.  Especially since I feel that it has been an much under appreciated book in the grand scheme of things for the longest while.

It's hard to beat the origin and first appearance of a strong and long lasting character like Plastic Man by one of the GA greats.  And to top it off, you also get the first appearance of Phantom Lady in a much more earlier and conservative version of her costume before Matt baker grabbed the artistic reins and came up with a much sexier and classic risque version.  :luhv:

On 11/15/2018 at 7:25 PM, atomised said:

I'll check in with a book I picked up today.  I was pretty deep in the bidding on the Flash 1 4.0.  I think someone got a real nice copy at a more than fair price.

mm.jpeg

Congrats on the pickup of an early and truly key Fox book and a copy with a front cover here that certainly presents beautifully relative to its assigned grade.  :applause:

16 hours ago, sagii said:

...Wonder if Hakes affected HA yesterday a little (if at all) hm

Doesn't seem like it to me.  The items I was following on Hakes all went well below what they would've sold for on Heritage.

Unless the consignor is Steve Geppi, I simply can't understand why anyone would consign comics or comic OA to Hakes. 

Edited by tth2

10 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

It is interesting to see the varying viewpoints on this particular auction. I felt the prices were very strong, even on those books that were relisted from sales only a few months ago.

I agree.  

32 minutes ago, tth2 said:

Doesn't seem like it to me.  The items I was following on Hakes all went well below what they would've sold for on Heritage.

Unless the consignor is Steve Geppi, I simply can't understand why anyone would consign comics or comic OA to Hakes. 

I almost fell asleep looking through the Hakes lots. The coffee pot in my wheelhouse was empty.

13 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

I think this phenomena is something we are all becoming too complacent with. We should be very careful not to let the large prices some folks are willing to pay on esoteric books sway us into justifying a heavy expenditure on an otherwise insignificant issue. It is interesting to see the varying viewpoints on this particular auction. I felt the prices were very strong, even on those books that were relisted from sales only a few months ago.

True, but isn't understanding bidding rationale more of an art than a science?  For instance, what's esoteric to one collector may be squarely in another's wheelhouse, and likewise, what seems insignificant today may not be tomorrow.  

There are collectors who buy to complete runs, or seek specific characters, genres, topical interests, specific artists, quality or types of art, certain grades (high & low), first issues, origins or appearances, ...you name it.  This may be more true for GA than other eras, but I sure wouldn't bet on it.  As final hammer prices go, to me they seemed stronger in some areas than others (butthurt-wise, not so much, which may be why I didn't get shut out).  

The only thing I can say with certainty about any timed auction is that it always comes down to two people and how much more one bidder is willing to pay to snag a trophy than the nearest under-bidder. 

Richard, you're one of the savviest guys I know, so it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if we're both looking at auction results through the most tactically efficient lenses imaginable. CrystalBall2.gif

30 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

True, but isn't understanding bidding rationale more of an art than a science? . . 

Not an easy question to answer when the cocaine like effects of dopamine is released with each 'Fair Warning' signal flashed upon the bidder screen.